It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

Nicker HB UserNicker HB UserNicker HB UserNicker HB User
Pain Management Dr: What does Pain Management mean?

Hi,

I have been dealing with Sciatica for 3 months. The worst pain is the pain in the side of my leg between my knee and ankle. This pain is there when I put any pressure on my leg. I have been seeing a Ortho for 3 months and getting Toradol injections, Anti Inflammatory pills, and pain meds. I saw him this week and he said I needed an ESI and he would refer me to a Pain Management Dr.

What is Pain Management? I dont want to just manage my pain and live with it. I want to get rid of it ! I dont want to have to always be on pain meds . I hate taking meds . I already have to take 4 insulin shots a day. Is this what pain management is ? Just a dr who gives me meds ? I am confused. What happened to just fixing the problem?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
Re: Pain Management Dr: What does Pain Management mean?

A PM Doc has a variety of ways to treat pain. I too have sciatica and i get RadioFrequency injections into the area in my spine causing my major pain and that gives me relief. I never get 100% pain relief but it is reduced a great deal. yes, they also provide medication but injections can brig relief as well.
My PM had me sign a contract agreeing not to get any narcotic pain meds from anyone but him ( standard practice DEA )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

pain buddy HB User

Hi

I suffered with really bad sciatica and tried accupunture and it worked really well for me and it is not half as bad as it used to be.

As for Pain Management it is what it says.
They do help you to manage your pain,breathing,exercises,meds etc.

I went to my pain management thinking i won't learn anything new but it is good to get a new prospective on how to handle pain.

Good luck

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Hey Nicker, I can only tell you by what I've learned through my one year experience with my PM Doctor and I have to add that like all doctors they are not all created equall and I learned this the hard way. As was mentioned below they help to manage your pain and with that said I was in physical therapy while seeing my PM doc and she first tried cortisone injections that didn't work to trying a wide veriety of medications untill I started talking talking to my phys. Therapist who told me of a couple options that I could try after I complained how dissatisfied I was with my doctor who just wanted to pump me up with drugs! Armed with new options I tried accupucture which did help but I had to go twice a week to be able to function normaly and with a copay it bece too costly and the other option was the Tins Unit which also did help but but I used it in conjuntion with pain meds.. If your looking to remidy your pain sitation and not simply "mask" it then a PMdoc is not for you but unfortuntaly there is a certain protocal that pacients have to follow before we can get to see an Ortho Surgen and sometimes trying to convince them that we really do need to have the surgery is another battle (for some not all). I guess it may have something to do with which HMO you're in.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-29-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
(male)

So I went today ... He reviewed my MRI and said I did in fact have 2 bulging disc that is prob causing my pain. He is going to give me an ESI and see if that helps. He gave me a new stronger AI pill , Lortabs , and nuerotin. I just took my first nuerotin. I took the Lortab and the AI earlier and it completely knocked out the pain to where I was about to even dance around to show my wife "NO PAIN" lol ..... I dunno what the AI is I will find out tomorrow. He said its stronger than DICOfin (SP) which is what I was on. Lets hope the pain stays away and the ESI cures me .

I know its not a long time for most on here but the last 4 months has been Hell . I hope every one of you get relief from your back ailments soon!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
(male)

Mobic is the AI I have!!

Closed Thread