It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Question "Bum" bump

I am not sure where to put this. I will try here since it really does have something to do with my back-SIDE.

Here is what has happened: About one month ago I got up from bed and nearly fell down. Something was wrong so I figured it was just my back and legs after sleeping on them "funny". I have severe facet arthritis from L3 down into the sacroiliac.

I felt as I do and started stretching my muscles and bending my back. As I massaged down to and through my buttocks I found a sizable piece of it missing. I had maybe an area 2" X 3" sunken down about 1 inch and a large bump of about the same size below the sunken area. I looked in the mirror and saw the depression and the bump. Since that time I have had increased pain in that area and down the back of my leg on the same side.

My Physiatrist did an x-ray yesterday to see if something had changed bone-wise, but found nothing concerning this strange thing via the x-ray. He did get a really good picture of the extent of my arthritis along my sacroiliac. He actually moaned when he saw how bad it had gotten.

He wanted to do an MRI but I am "doctor tired", so he will do an injection into the various spine areas for some pain relief but he had never seen such a thing as my "bum" bump ever.

I am open to ideas. It remains. The depression on the skin looks darker and I can see a large blood vessel now but it still hurts like sitting on a hard ball all day. It is another thing adding to a constellation of pains. Help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: "Bum" bump

Is it along the spine or more away from the spine and mid-bum?

X-rays will show some bony abnormalities but a CT scan also shows soft tissues. So if it's in the area of the bum and not of the spine a CT scan may be needed to see if perhaps there's some kind of cyst or localized infection within the bum.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Re: "Bum" bump

It is definitely away from the spine. Take a finger amd measure from the center of spine out halfway to the outer edge of bum. It is there. Also I didn't make it clear, but when the doc x-rayed he put a bb marker to show up on the film where the indentation started at the top. The top is along the ridge of the large pelvic bone--don't know the name of it. I will find the name---ok, the hip girdle is what it is called. I know the MRI or CT would have maybe shown the problem, but I am so doctor tired--know what I mean? I will get my shot in 2 weeks, then see him again in a few weeks and if it is still there and hurting I will probably let him MRI it. If it gets lots more painful I will go sooner. I am on methotrexate so I have to watch for infections etc.

Closed Thread