It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
(male)

deisinger HB User
Can you feel instrumentation in your back after spinal fusion??

yes you can. (pardon the pun) I had to have my appliance removed a year after the fusion. It felt like something was chewing on me from the inside. the appliance is only there for stability and until the fusion is complete. after that it serves no purpose (thats what my neuro told me) also if you have a skinny back (i do) this is a factor as well.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

PEmom HB User
Re: Can you feel instrumentation in your back after spinal fusion??

tshol-
I just had fusion of my L5S1 6 weeks ago. After the first 3 weeks I was moving and walking. I walked too far too fast my 4 week and my si joint and ab muscles went into spasm. Laid me up for about 4 days, now I am better and moving around. You will feel stiffness in your back as the scar tissue heals and pulls as you try to stretch and move and get back to normal. I am not fully fused so i still need the hardware but I have met people who still have the hardware in 10 years later. Currently pelvic tilt movements are impossible for me to do and I can not yet get up and down comfortably from the floor. Success stories are out there do not put off surgery because some day you may need another one, you may not, everyone is different. You want to be the best most pain free(if possible) person you can be.

I saw 5 doctors who all confirmed that fusion was the best choice for me. I would hope you would seek several opinions from surgeons to make your best choice for your body.
good luck Laurie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

I had l4/l5 spinal fusion in April. Didnt work for me. Very dissapointed and now
regret doing it.

I don't feel any instruments just the same pair prior and now more pain 4 mos later. Will give it time to heal and then see, however I do have the same problems I had b4 so I doubt that will change.

D

Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: Can you feel instrumentation in your back after spinal fusion??

I had a double fusion 5 weeks ago on my lower back. I had rods and screws put in as well as a bone stimulator. When I came home from the hospital I noticed a bump on my back just below my bra line. Finally, after asking the doctor, he told me it was the bone stimulator. I had thought it might be the screws or metal coming out.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
(male)

saucey26 HB User

I know this post is very old, but I like the rational of the person who said people who have successful surgeries don't post. That's got to be true. I had a spinal fusion at S1-L5 with a disc replacement in February 2010. It took until 2 weeks ago for me to get off pain pills and exercise again. I feel like a new man. I can relate to wanting to wait, but at some point your mental state will tell you when. I was so depressed being in fear every day of my life that my spine was gonna snap and I was gonna be paralized and now I don't live with that fear anymore. I'm more in shape than I've ever been in my life and the most important part is that I'm finally clear headed. What I think you must take into consideration is not only the physical but mental relief you will get from a successful surgery. Good luck to you all.
-c

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Boy I wish I can say the same. Had surgery l4/l5 on 4/29 and as of today, I am in more pain on my left side than b4 the surgery. I also have pain on my right side that I never had b4 the surgery. Now I'm sorry I did it. What a big mistake. urggghhhhh

D

Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had an L4-S1 fusion in 1993 and never felt the hardware in any way. Earlier this year my L3 moved forward (I have a history of spondylolisthesis). So they went in from my back and my side. Removed all the old hardware (which is bulkier than what is used today) and fused me L3-S1. I do have some pain around the sites of the screws on occasion but that's just healing pain. I expect this hardware to stay in for as long as my back is okay. should L2 move forward someday I'll do it all over again.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
(female)

wrenegade HB User

Thank you for posting something positive. I've been in pain for 33 years with a spondy that is working towards grade 3 now. I managed without pain meds for many years, but finally gave in to that about 6 years ago. I'm now really tired (literally and figuratively) of the meds. What would life be like to be clear headed again!? Two years ago, I tried the arthroscopic route with partial disectomies, foraminotomies, facet cleanup, laminotomies, but it gave me very little relief. I've always sworn I would never have the fusion, but recently have been rethinking. I'm 52 and have some osteoporsis, so thinking it may not be a good option for me. I've only had one ortho doc all along and he definitely recommends the fusion. How old you are, if you don't mind me asking?

wren

Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: Can you feel instrumentation in your back after spinal fusion??

Wren,
Again every person recovers differently. I am 60, and had my fusion June 29, 2010, so I am still in recovery stage. I feel pretty good in the L3/4 & L 4/5 where they did the fusion, but I also have had a fractured T 12 from December of 2009, so I'm having to deal with that now. I have a cage and screws and bone stimulator implanted. I am doing much better than I was a month ago. I still use my grabber allot and don't do any bending or lifting.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'm 44 currently. Had L4-S1 fused due to spondylolisthesis in 1993 and then in 2010 my L3 moved forward, so we decided on immediate surgery and he took out all the old hardware and re-did the fusion adding L3.

Closed Thread