It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

gettingagrip HB User
Question Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

Sara, just had my MRI reveal the same as yours. Ouch ~ YES! Have an appt. with neorsurgeon at a University Hosp in early July to discuss options.

Wanted to compare symptoms... Mine is way worse in the AM! Low back hurts a little/not too bad. HOT knife poking in high buttock. Thigh muscle feels like a dishrag someone is wringing out! HOT sword inserted at the hip and runs to the foot on the outside of the leg. Calf muscle, squeezed in a vise... burns and I have a little rash developing on the outside of my calf? Pins and needles on the foot when I get up. AND one more thing I have noticed, which speaks to circulation, my toe nails stopped growing (or slowed way down) on that foot, think we need to heed the advice of posting from PHWILLIAMSON. Untreated I'm beginning to believe this could lead to nerve damage. All of my symptoms happen to be on my right side.

I've been dealing with the pain for about two months. Thought it was sciatic nerve, so went to the Chiropractor for a month with little relief and never lasting relief. When I notice the lack of toe nail growth, it became clear we were not winning the battle at the Chiropractor and this may be a little more than sciatic nerve problems.

I'll be praying for you .. As I pray for me! Will post my findings after my appointment.
HANG IN THERE!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
(female)

gettingagrip HB User
Re: Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

Sara, I'm new at this "posting thing" and think I posted your reply to someone else. It had my pain symptom in it and wanted to compare to yours. SORRY about the goof up.
But, wanted you to know one thing I've found to relieve some of the morning pain, is stretching! (Same stretches as a Chiropractor would recommend for sciatic nerve trouble.) Not gonna lie to you!!! It hurts bad when I start... literally, can barely MOVE without tears. BUT... when I'm finished MOST mornings the pain subsides greatly and is almost tolerable with in a few hours. Have even resorted to this during the day and/or evening if I have had to stay in one position too long. If you need the specific stretches, let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
(female)

grandmarobin HB User
Wink Re: Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

Thanks for your post "gettingagrip."
I had surgery about 6 weeks ago now for a large synovial cyst on L5 that was causing sciatic like pain on my left buttock and leg. I am now 6 weeks post op and the pain is SLOWLY reducing but continues to act up. I had a hemilaminectomy and partial removal of the cyst at the L5 level. Apparently the cyst was well wrapped around the L5 nerve causing it to be pushed out horizontally from the spine. The neurosurgeon said he could not get it (cyst) all?! Honestly, the pain was worse post surgically. I continue to be stiff in the mornings. Narcotic pain meds did little to help post op. However, now I do control the pain now best with OTC meds and occasional Ultram and Soma. I have just started Neurontin with some relief. I just came back for my first follow up appointment and the neurosurgeon seemed a bit surprised I was still having burining pain down my right leg, occasional weakness in my thighs and hip/back pain where I have to pull myself back up. The doctor is now wanting to do a follow up MRI to check for regrowth of the cyst and possible total laminectomy to the area. My right butt cheek hurts all the time and when I walk consistentlyt for a long period of time (30 min) I feel like my right leg/buttocks is tightening and begins to hurt more and my gait slows. I don't know if I am having a slow recovery or if this is how I have to live the rest of my life. Thank goodness for this board because I have found it hard to find others who have gone through this diagnosis and treatment. I want to go back to work but, I am frightened because my work envolved much driving and I am afraid this problem is not going to resolve itself and I am close right now to rolling into long term disability status at my work. My family has been supportive but, at times I feel they are doubting me too.
Thanks all for letting me vent!

Last edited by grandmarobin; 06-24-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

gettingagrip HB User

Hey Grandmarobin, sounds like you've really had IT! I'm thinking because stretching helps relieve so much of my pain, that naughtly little cyst must move off the nerves a little bit. With yours wrapped around, yikes! My husband just had BOTH of his shoulders completely reconstructed last year. I share this because I was the sole caretaker to him as he dealt with both the pre-op pain for two years and the post-op recovery which is still ongoing. The "caretakers" in your life (your family) most likely become frustrated and a little frightened because they can't fix what hurts you. And to reassure you just a little, in this day and age certainly you don't have to live with this pain for the rest of your life. If your insurance allows provision for a second opinion, get it! If you've not read PHWILLIAMSON's post, it's very good and very helpful!
I agree, this forum is great. Please keep us posted on your progress. I'll be praying for NO pain as soon as possible (yesterday?-ha!)!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
(female)

grandmarobin HB User

Oh thank you "getting," for your prompt reply. Well, 24 hours on the neurontin and my mental status has improved and the pain has decreased, not gone but, certainly more able to live with. I walked in my back yard (5 acres) and I even jogged half of it with the dog! I Slept well last night too! I stretched well before and after and just have a little pain in my back now. The right leg is moving much better. Boy, you have had a rough road having to care for both yourself and your spouse! "For better, for worse," right? It is nice to exchange with someone else who has the same condition. My husband has been great but, my attitude was gowing downward lately and I have had many prior bouts of major depression (with delusions) so, he was quite worried I was headed back in that direction and now I can spot the symptoms. Anyway, I haven't thought this clearly in a long while. I am a bit worried because of all the possible side effects that I see with neurontin but, it seems to be working great so far. I might call the doctor and see if he would consider a work release in early July after I have a follow up visit with my psychiatrist. I am on a high dose of Effexor too and I am somewhat afraid that the neurontin could tip me more toward the depressed side but, we will see.
I will check out that site you mentioned. Thanks for all your help. I haven't moved this much in the last 3 months. This cyst thing has been difficult. My primary doctor thought I was just another depressed patient who was complaining until my MRI came back! Everyone freaked out. They thought it was a tumor but, the neurosurgeon read the MRI and said it looks like a synovial cyst and has probably been there for a heck of a long time....like years. I can't tell you how many times I was in and out of my primary doctor's office with complaints of urinary discomfort, frequency, back pain and being unable to sleep. They sent me to PT first and that's when the pain increased greatly and I was driving 6 hours a day while I was working. Then the MRI came back and they told me to stop PT or I could become paralized! My doc still hasn't returned me to PT post-op yet but, continues to tell me to walk. I will certain keep you updated and please you do too! God Bless.

Too Young for this pain,
Grandma Robin

Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
(female)

grandmarobin HB User

[QUOTE=grandmarobin;4273148][/QUOTE]
Hey Sara, same spot for me. They went in and cut it out. However, they could not get it all. I had a hemilaminectomy. The cyst was quite large and surrounded L5 and was pushing my nerve out horizontally. The pain was horrible. The surgery I am still recovering from. I had PT first (begfore surgery)and it just made the whole thing worse and when finally they looked at the MRI the doctor's freaked and stopped the PT. I was wondering why it hurt so bad after PT anyway....then they told me if I kept PT up I could become paralized. I don't know how large yours is but, I recommend getting the surgery the results are over 90% pain resolution. I went to University of Michigan to a doctor who was experienced with these kind of things. He was worried that the nerve was already damaged permanetly but, I do feel better now and he just placed me on neurontin to help with some post op pain. So far, so good. However, I know this thing can grow back and am going for a follow up MRI at the end of July. I just wish my primary doctor had sent me for a MRI sooner. I will say I am looking for a new one of those! Keep us updated please! Not too many people out there with this condition.

Too Young for this pain,
Grandma Robin

Old 10-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
(female)

gettingagrip HB User

Been a while but thought I would peak in ... hope you are still doing better and better. I'm still dealing with some nerve "thumping" and a week muscle in the low back/upper buttock. Other than that ~ it's going great post op!

Closed Thread