It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

ggfrog99 HB User
Tlif decision? Need advice!!

Hello everyone! I am trying to decide if I should have a minimally invasive TLIF procedure done and need some advice. I have L5-S1 Spondylolithesis with bilateral L5 Pars Defect (spondylolysis). I have been having back problems since I was 15, but recently after giving birth to my daughter (now 18mths old) I have been having increased lower back/hip pain that radiates into my buttocks and down my leg. I am unable to sleep most nights and now have to take pain medication to make it through the day. I am a pharmacist on my feet all of my 8 hour shift and I am a single mother of 2 children (age 9 and age 18mths). My 16yr old niece lives with me as well. My MD tells me that I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days and be back to work by 6-8 weeks. He knows I have an 18mth old and seem to think I could take care of her completely after 4 weeks recovery. I am getting very concerned after reading these boards that I will never be able to pick up my daughter again. The pain has only gotten worse and I have tried some therapy, chiropractors, steroids, etc. I am thinking of trying steroid injections but I know this will only be a temporary reprieve from my pain. My nerves on either side are impinged severely, even I can see this on my MRI and CT scans. It seems to me that this problem will never be truly FIXED without surgery, but I can't NEVER pick up my daughter again. Does anyone have a similar experience or advice? I also only have 8 weeks of full pay disability coverage and I cannot afford to be out of work any more than that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
(female)

mickeyluver HB User
Re: Tlif decision? Need advice!!

[QUOTE=ggfrog99;4326018]Hello everyone! I am trying to decide if I should have a minimally invasive TLIF procedure done and need some advice. I have L5-S1 Spondylolithesis with bilateral L5 Pars Defect (spondylolysis). I have been having back problems since I was 15, but recently after giving birth to my daughter (now 18mths old) I have been having increased lower back/hip pain that radiates into my buttocks and down my leg. I am unable to sleep most nights and now have to take pain medication to make it through the day. I am a pharmacist on my feet all of my 8 hour shift and I am a single mother of 2 children (age 9 and age 18mths). My 16yr old niece lives with me as well. My MD tells me that I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days and be back to work by 6-8 weeks. He knows I have an 18mth old and seem to think I could take care of her completely after 4 weeks recovery. I am getting very concerned after reading these boards that I will never be able to pick up my daughter again. The pain has only gotten worse and I have tried some therapy, chiropractors, steroids, etc. I am thinking of trying steroid injections but I know this will only be a temporary reprieve from my pain. My nerves on either side are impinged severely, even I can see this on my MRI and CT scans. It seems to me that this problem will never be truly FIXED without surgery, but I can't NEVER pick up my daughter again. Does anyone have a similar experience or advice? I also only have 8 weeks of full pay disability coverage and I cannot afford to be out of work any more than that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Hello!! I am also having a TLIF surgery on the 28th. First one and scared to death! I have heard alot and also read alot on here and many other sites. I really dont think you will NEVER get to hold ur daughter again. Probably will have to wait 3-6 months but not EVER!! I have a ten n eight year old so Im glad I dont have to wait to pick them up lol. That must be very hard to be on your feet for 8 hrs? I had my own housekeeping business for 2 years until I just couldnt do all of that work all week long really took a toll on my back. For the last 5 months I was getting the epidural injections with floriscopy, with only would last me a max of 4 1/2 weeks at a time and then I would have to repeat the process. They did work great, up they are really just temp relief. My doc said they normall last longer then that, but he said something like when he would inject it, it would be had to put it, or inject into the spot. So after 5 months of that, dr finally had me get a discogram don (wow that was painful) which came make positive, and now Im waiting for the 28th to get here to have the TLIF done and hoping its sucessful for me! Best of luck to you, and dont worry about never holding your baby girl again

Take care,
Sue

Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

[QUOTE=ggfrog99;4326018]Hello everyone! I am trying to decide if I should have a minimally invasive TLIF procedure done and need some advice. I have L5-S1 Spondylolithesis with bilateral L5 Pars Defect (spondylolysis). I have been having back problems since I was 15, but recently after giving birth to my daughter (now 18mths old) I have been having increased lower back/hip pain that radiates into my buttocks and down my leg. I am unable to sleep most nights and now have to take pain medication to make it through the day. I am a pharmacist on my feet all of my 8 hour shift and I am a single mother of 2 children (age 9 and age 18mths). My 16yr old niece lives with me as well. My MD tells me that I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days and be back to work by 6-8 weeks. He knows I have an 18mth old and seem to think I could take care of her completely after 4 weeks recovery. I am getting very concerned after reading these boards that I will never be able to pick up my daughter again. The pain has only gotten worse and I have tried some therapy, chiropractors, steroids, etc. I am thinking of trying steroid injections but I know this will only be a temporary reprieve from my pain. My nerves on either side are impinged severely, even I can see this on my MRI and CT scans. It seems to me that this problem will never be truly FIXED without surgery, but I can't NEVER pick up my daughter again. Does anyone have a similar experience or advice? I also only have 8 weeks of full pay disability coverage and I cannot afford to be out of work any more than that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>> Hi, ggfrog, and welcome to the board, tho I am sorry you need to be here.

First, there really is no way to predict how any one person will respond to surgery as far as recovery time, etc. I do think your family doctor is being a bit optimistic as far as saying you can pick up your doctor after 4 weeks. Most likely it will be longer than that because at 4 weeks you just aren't healed enough. However, you can sit down and let your toddler get in your lap, but bending over to pick her up would raise the possibility of causing more problems. I'm sorry....I know that isn't what you wanted to learn, but I feel you need the truth.

I really think you should talk to your doctor as far as being able to go back to work in 8 weeks since you have to stand all day.

As for reading these boards and all the scary stuff, please keep in mind that people whose surgeries are complete successes (and there are many) are NOT on these boards....they have no need to be here and they are busy leading their lives.

Also, have you had a second opinion? I really urge you to do so just to ensure that the surgery being proposed is the right way to go. Have you had an MRI or ct scan within the last 6-8 months? If not, you should probably have one done just to be sure there is nothing changed.

Please stay in touch and feel free to ask any questions you need answered and someone here will do their best to answer them for you. This is a great forum for finding support.

Carol

Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

ggfrog99 HB User

Thanks everyone so far for the advice and kind words! Sue, I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Hopefully, u will be here posting a positive story in a couple of months! Carol, I just discovered this entire problem in the past month! I had xrays and chiropractor visits galore before my PCP finally said she thought something more serious was going on and sent me for an MRI. I am relieved to finally know whats wrong with me, but I am beginning to think I may wanna truly exhaust all possible treatments before I have this surgery. Unfortunately, I just dont have anyone around to help me 24-7 and I have realized that I do ALOT of bending, lifting, twisting around the house and at work! I can't imagine bouncing back to work after 8 weeks, and I can't afford to miss more than that right now. Ughh! The woes of being a single mother! I am having the steroid injection next week and I am praying that it will get me through a few months or more. I am also starting Lyrica today to help with the nerve pain. Has anyone here tried Lyrica for this type of nerve related pain? Being a pharmacist in Florida right now I see sooo many patients addicted to narcotic pain medications and I am determined to never be so drugged up that I can't form a coherent sentence! Hopefully, my determination to get better will be the key!! Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, keep it coming

Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

I am on Lyrica and it has been very helpful. GGfrog, most people on pain medications who take their meds as ordered do not get "addicted". They may become tolerant as their body becomes used to the medication. But addiction happens more often when a pt abuses their meds, takes more than prescribed and takes them to get a buzz. Please don't be afraid of the meds if they help you manage.

I understand your worries....I had my first major back surgery as a single mom with 4 kids. It was tough, but I got through it. Please keep in mind that if your nerves are being severely impinged you are risking nerve damage that could cause your legs to become weak and that nerve will NOT recover! I waited too long twice and that is why I am on the Lyrica and why I am not having bilateral leg weakness. Having a myelogram and ct on Friday to find out whether surgery will be needed again......my gut tells me yes. I'm 68 years old and lost my husband last year, so I am really not looking forward to dealing with all this, tho I have 2 daughters who will help me. So, I really do understand.

Keep on eye on the future as you make your decisions. Tho you may get some relief from the injections, they are just bandaids and only extend the amt of time that nerve is being pinched. Okay, I think I have reached the point where I am beating a dead horse! Sorry....when I believe something passionately, I tend to get carried away.

Please, keep posting.

Carol

Closed Thread