It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

FionaMartin HB User
Prialt, Morphine and Medtronic Pumps

Recently, my doctor talked me into trading out the morphine in my Medtronic pain pump for a new drug called prialt. Prialt is a new class of drugs derived from neurotoxins like snail and frog venom.

I had been complaining about the side effects of opiates. Mainly, how for the first two months of a refill I felt great but on the third month the pain returned. Each time, I would return for a refill thinking it was time to increase my dosage.

He said the biggest problem would be getting off the opiates. I had been taking some type of opiates, in one form or another for the last 18 years. For the last 2 years had morphine delivered intrathecally to my spinal column to prevent pain caused by acute back pain.

Boy he wasn't kidding. Not only is the withdrawal terrible. After taking pain killers for years your body stops making its own pain fighting properties.

How long does it take to get years of opiates out of one's system? Moreover, how long until my body will stop being uber sensitive to pain?

Any advise is appreciated, but please don't talk to me about 'God's plan'.

Suess

Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: Prialt, Morphine and Medtronic Pumps

[QUOTE=FionaMartin;4331366]Recently, my doctor talked me into trading out the morphine in my Medtronic pain pump for a new drug called prialt. Prialt is a new class of drugs derived from neurotoxins like snail and frog venom.

I had been complaining about the side effects of opiates. Mainly, how for the first two months of a refill I felt great but on the third month the pain returned. Each time, I would return for a refill thinking it was time to increase my dosage.

He said the biggest problem would be getting off the opiates. I had been taking some type of opiates, in one form or another for the last 18 years. For the last 2 years had morphine delivered intrathecally to my spinal column to prevent pain caused by acute back pain.

Boy he wasn't kidding. Not only is the withdrawal terrible. After taking pain killers for years your body stops making its own pain fighting properties.

How long does it take to get years of opiates out of one's system? Moreover, how long until my body will stop being uber sensitive to pain?

Any advise is appreciated, but please don't talk to me about 'God's plan'.

Suess[/QUOTE]

Hi Fiona. I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum. I hope someone will come along who knows the answers. Also, you might consider posting this on the chronic pain or/and pain managment board. There are a couple of very knowledgeable folks on there who could probably answer your question in detail.

Best of luck.

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
(male)

joebob254 HB Userjoebob254 HB Userjoebob254 HB Userjoebob254 HB Userjoebob254 HB Userjoebob254 HB User

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Fiona, I know the feeling but to a much lesser degree as you. Check with your doctor to any medications that help with withdrawl. There are several non narcotic versions out there. I took a much lesser one called Clonadine that took the edge off of the symptoms for me. I have heard of non narcotics out there that are used for helping opiate abusers but I'm very sorry that I dont remember the name. Ask for the help, what you are feeling is normal for what you are going through.

As for the hypersensitivity, you body has to remember how to take care of itself again. I'm not sure how long that lasts but the body is a resiliant thing. Hang in there and let us know how the new medications help you.

Good Luck
"Joe"[/FONT]

Old 10-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

You are going to be uncomfortable for a good long while. It may take as much as a year for your body to begin to be able to provide you with the chemicals needed for pain relief. In the meantime your mind will play tricks on you and tell you that you need the pain meds and or that you need more of the Prialt. The Prialt is a strong medication but is non-narcotic so you, in effect, went cold turkey. Cold turkey can be done as I am sure you found out but is not preferred because of the possibility of seizures for one thing. Try not to medicate with over-the-counter meds that cause sleepiness as this will intensify the effect of sleepiness with Prialt. Good Luck and don't hesitate if you have any other problems. Sincerely, searchin p.s. Do you mind if I ask what happened with your back to cause such acute pain?

Closed Thread