It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2001, 08:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
tight muscles round spine upper and lower

Hi, I have suffered back pain for over 5 years. Finally my osteopath diagnosed me as having joint dysfunction, which basically is really tight muscles around the joints. I have tried stretching and get some relief but I go to do a bit of easy housework and it flares up. Does anyone else suffer this or have any suggestions. The stretches that I have to do are usually ones that rotate my spine. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-29-2001, 08:57 AM   #2

achey HB User
Re: tight muscles round spine upper and lower

I have chronic low back pain, l4-l5, l5-s1 but I think I know what you're talking about. When I do housework (or just about anything physical), upper and lower muscles get knotted and ache. I think I'm compensating with these muscles by trying not to use my low back. What I have found very helpful are some new stretches that I learned in physical therapy. Ice works great on spasms and a mild muscle relaxant (I like Bacalafen 5-10 mg) helps me a lot. I can take half a Bacalafen early in the day, a whole one by afternoon and not feel sedated. I hate having heavy eyelids. Also, the jacuzzi or even a long hot shower beating on those muscles works well. What did your osteopath suggest to deal with it? I saw an osteopath for 8 years and, to be honest, the manipulation did little if nothing for me; it was the meds he prescribed that did. Hope this helps.

achey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2001, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran

robste HB User

Hi Cinderella...I've also been suffering from back pain (lower back). I just started going to a physical therapist who gave me four different stretches to do twice a day. She also says to always bend at the knees when bending over (don't bend your back), which I almost always never did before. It's really hard to be aware of what you're doing and how you're moving/bending/twisting when working around the house or gardening, etc., but now I am trying to become more aware of it. I know what you mean about the muscle tightness in your upper back...now that I'm not bending my lower back, and starting to do the exercises, my upper back is a little achy. Hopefully, this will go away in time.
Anyway, just make sure you do stretches before doing any work.

Old 04-30-2001, 08:16 PM   #4

kimber2001 HB User

i also had a laminectomy l-45 in 98 i have alot of muscle problems also nothing reliefs it when it flares up the during the surgery they mess mine up that is my reason for havimg musclte tightness.

Old 05-03-2001, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

Thanks for you replies, I am interested to know what kind of exercises you do, can you describe them so I can give them a go. Thanks everyone.

Closed Thread