It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2001, 09:43 PM   #1

kia HB User
Lower back pain only when sleeping

Could anyone help me I am having lower backpain and stiffness only when I am sleeping it is really making it hard to get afull nights sleep. I have tried everything doc says I may have fybromyalgia and put me on flexeril before bed but it does not help so I thought I might get some ideas here. thank you!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 09:33 AM   #2

LeeEllen HB User
Re: Lower back pain only when sleeping

Hi - I certainly don't want to minimize your pain, but have you considered another type of mattress? I used to feel like I'd been beat up during the night --- my back hurt, I was sore all over and couldn't sleep either. At the time I had a water bed--ugh. We then went to a pillowtop mattress and that didn't work either. We ended up with an airbed, with dual controls so I can have my side as soft/hard as I want without bugging hubby. I don't feel the soreness anymore.

Something else I hope you're doing is putting pillows under your knees when you lay down -- this helps reduce the curvature in the lower back and stabilizes the spine. If you sleep on your side, put the pillows between your knees then too. Sleeping on the stomach is very hard on the back.

I hope your doc has ordered an MRI or CT-Scan of the spine. Just assuming you have something isn't enough. Ask for some tests. If you've already had them, well maybe he's on target but it was my belief that Fibro is felt in many other parts of the body too --- not just the back.

I wish you much luck!! It's rough when you can't get a good night's sleep. God Bless. Peace, LeeEllen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2001, 11:30 AM   #3

kathryn2 HB User

Hi, I to think you might try flipping your mattress, and also trying a diffrent pillow. Maybe even no pillow for a night. Have you ever been checked for arthritis? Does the pain go away once you are up for a bit? Excedrin PM is a good sleep helper. Might help you to try it. Good luck. kathryn2

Old 07-24-2001, 08:57 PM   #4

jneen29 HB User

I have the same problem Kia. No matter what bed I sleep on I have the worst lower back pain. It's usually only a problem when I'm trying to sleep. Once I get up and moving about an hour the pain subsides, not always but usually. I also suffer from endometriosis and have often wondered if there wasn't some connection. I have terrible lower back pain with my cycles which is caused by endo. As far as why I have the pain there every night when i try to sleep leaves me puzzled as I can't get the doctor to give me an answer. A suppose the search continues for the right doctor. Good luck Kia in your search and keep us posted!!!

------------------
JMB
The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is the way people use them.

Old 07-26-2001, 10:16 AM   #5

jjkursed HB User

Hi, I damaged by spine before christmas and have found that in the morning it is usually at it worst due to inactivity at night. I find that doing streching exercise is the best way to help make it better. It helps to ease the pain as well as the stiffness.

Old 08-07-2001, 08:16 AM   #6

jjkursed HB User

Hi again.
I recently brought an orthopedic pillow (one that has a higher ridge on the edge in order to raise your neck higher). and have found that i'm sleeping much better at night and also that when I wake up i'm less stiff. Hopefully this might be of help.

Old 08-07-2001, 05:19 PM   #7

Mattsmummum HB User

I have to agree with LeeEllen about sleeping on your stomach. I loved sleeping on my stomach and had a lot of lower back pain, especially during my menstrual cycle. My chiropractor told me sleeping on your stomach is the worse thing for backs. Haven't slept on my stomach in 8 months and I haven't had lower back pain since going to him for adjustments and changing my sleeping habits. If I sleep on my back, I remove the pillow. My grandmother always slept that way and she had the best posture, which also helps to eliminate back pain. Good luck.

Closed Thread