It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2001, 01:36 PM   #1

NIX70chs HB User
Bilateral Leg Pain & Numbness

I need some help. I'm a 17 yearold male with Bilateral leg pain and numbness. I started with shooting pain down right leg 3 weeks ago while trying to sit down in a restaurant, followed about 15 minutes later by numbness from my right buttock to my the back of my knee (more or less, less area of numbness lower you go) I started on Hydrocodone, Lortabs, and Ibuprofen. Things seemed to be getting better, I started last week with very little pain, and began PT. After doing very light PT exercises, I stood up and pain shot down my left leg, and again numbness followed. There has since been very little pain on the right side but still all the numbness plus my heel and bottom of pinky toe. I have very little sensation in my groin and testicles, buttock, and back of legs. I still have a burning, sharp pain in my left buttock and leg. I'm just about to finish up on Steroidal Anti-inflammatories. Xrays are negative, MRI is negative for any abnormalities or problems. I saw a neurologist today, and he was stumped. He has ordered a Lower Abdominal/Pelvic CT for today (With contrast, yuck) and if that comes up negative he's going to do an EMG, and later, if still negative, a different test to look for a possible Lateral disc herniation. Anybody have any clue here? I think I described everything, I may have missed something though. I need some help, I'm 17 and my parents and I are feeling very overwhelmed. Now I'm off to drink the Barium Smoothy for the CT...feel free to ICQ or Email or reply to this. BTW, I play football, used to wrestle and run track, and lift weights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2001, 06:18 PM   #2

NIX70chs HB User
Re: Bilateral Leg Pain & Numbness

Update-
CT Scan is over with, as usual it shows no problems and everything is normal. Someone please help me.

Alex

Old 04-03-2001, 05:46 AM   #3

Kelley HB User

Hi Alex-

I am sorry that you are experiencing this much pain. It does sound very much like nerve related sciatica, but then I am not a doctor, just someone who has had the same symptoms before. I have had two lumbar laminectomies on L4-5. I used the same neuro for both. On the second one, alllllll the test you have had, plus others, came back as "normal". It was not until I had a myelogram that he found the problem, a bone spur at the old surgical site. So don't give up! You and your parents keep looking for the answer and it will come. Just be very careful with your body until you know what the problem is.

As far your meds go...be careful with all that tylenol, it is hard on the liver. Lortab and some hydrocodone have tylenol in them already. In fact, lortab is hydrcodone. My neuro suggested Aleve in conjunction with the hydrocodone because it has an anti-inflammatory in it.

I hope you find some answers soon. Keep us all posted...

Kelley

Old 04-03-2001, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

Sue HB User

Hi Alex:

I agree with Kelly - it does sound nerve/disc related. I did have some similar symptoms as you. Right sided sciatic nerve pain, right hip - all the way down to my foot. Physical Therapy (McKenzie and Flexion exercises) did help some of the problem. It helped with hip pain and tingling in my toes. I also have numbness on the upper right side of thigh area. Did this for just over a year. It helped, but not enough. I began experiencing leg weakness in both legs. No amount of therapy helped this problem. I did have a microdiscectomy just 3 weeks ago. Feeling better, but still have a ways to go in my recovery.

I really don't have too much advice to give you -- SORRY! I had only an MRI which clearly showed a severely herniated L5-S1 disc.

I hope they are able to get to the root of your problem soon. Maybe the myleogram will show it, as Kelly stated above.

Are the steroids helping at all? I took the steriod pack a week after surgery for inflammation - I did notice a big difference after 3 days of taking them. It relieved the sciatic nerve (and whole leg) burning. Have you tried to ice your back? That may also help to bring some relief.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Sue

Old 04-03-2001, 09:50 AM   #5

NIX70chs HB User

I'm currently on hydrocodone and ibuprofen, I took my last steroid this morning. Nothing is cutting the pain and burning anymore. The pain is limited to the left side now. Still numbness on both. I have an EMG thursday. you cannot believe how much I hate this test. It is so close to torture it's not funny. The doctor discussed a myelogram as a far off option. Should we do this one next? I will do anything to get out of the EMG. As far as PT goes...The symptoms switched sides after doing exercises from my first PT, and then the second session threw the left side into full spasm. That help anybody at all? <p>[This message has been edited by NIX70chs (edited 04-03-2001).]

Old 04-04-2001, 05:41 AM   #6

Kelley HB User

Hi Nix -

To me the myelogram was the last resort. It is an uncomfortable test to say the least. My neuro was kind and said we try to avoid having one, as I have had problems with 2 of the last 3 I have had. Unfortunately the other tests were all inconclusive and I had to have one anyway. He feels the myelogram gives the best all around picture of what is going on with the spine. If I were you and he is going to do one anyway I would skip the EMG. Why go through with 2 painful tests?

As far as symptoms jumping around, I believe it has to do with inflammation. If your pain stays mostly on one side and the moves around after exertion, then there was too much exertion, thus inflammation. At least that was what the PT told me.

I hope you both feel better soon. Keep us posted. And Nix, let us know your test results....

Kelley

Old 04-04-2001, 06:38 AM   #7

NIX70chs HB User

This was my thinking as well, EMG's and Myelograms both suck a whole lot, but 1 is better than 2. I'll talk it over and we'll see what others think.

Old 04-04-2001, 07:18 PM   #8

kathryn2 HB User

I think the radiologist missed something on you xrays, etc. Take them to another one for another reading. Your pain is real and you need an answer. Get all your records too. Many read my mris and it took 17 years for them to be read right . I had a large cyst in the spine that long and they did not see it! Sounds crazy I know. I live it! All of them don't have the same experience in reading the tests. Please consider another opinion from a diffrent radiologist. Good luck and keep posting. kathryn2

Old 04-04-2001, 08:21 PM   #9

NIX70chs HB User

hmmm...As I understand it both a radiologist and my neuro checked over the MRI, but this is what I'm really afraid of. The problem is my area has about 4 neuro's, I'm seeing one, 2 of them I've had bad experiences with and I guess that will leave me with one if this one doesnt find anything in the EMG.

Old 04-05-2001, 05:44 AM   #10

Kelley HB User

Hi Nix -

Every radioligist could have a different opinion on the same film. What is important is that a neuro read your films. If your neuro did not see anything, but has ordered further testing, it says to me that he recognizes that you have a problem and is interested in helping you. My last MRI scared the hell out of me after I read the radioligist report. It sounded terrible( almost complete lost of disc height, bone contusions, scar tissue, etc. etc. ), but when my neuro saw it he said it looked exactly as it should 10 years after surgery. You see, the radiologists had no idea of my history, except that I had had a laminectomy. Anyway, it sounds like this neuro is willing to help you find the cause. I wish all the best and hope you find some answers soon...

Kelley<p>[This message has been edited by Kelley (edited 04-05-2001).]

Old 04-05-2001, 07:06 AM   #11

NIX70chs HB User

EMG in a few hours...this is not going to be pleasant. I'm hoping he'll just put me out, but somehow I seriously doubt that will happen.

Old 04-05-2001, 08:19 PM   #12

NIX70chs HB User

Nevermind, the doctor is sick and has rescheduled it for Monday...another weekend with no idea whats wrong with me, woohoo. Is the EMG really necessary? I have a feeling I'm going to have a myelogram regardless of the outcome.

Old 04-06-2001, 05:33 AM   #13

Kelley HB User

Hi -

Man, after getting yourself psyched up and everything!!!

Take it easy this weekend and let us know on Monday how things go...

Kelley

Old 04-08-2001, 06:45 PM   #14

Larry 46 HB User

Nix, I have to agree with Kathryn2 on the reading of your x-rays. The whole thing sounds like something going on around the lower thorasic or upper lumbar spine. I am not a neurologist or even a doctor. I am a nurse who has been in the business about 28 years and has a very messed up lower spine from a patient assult about two years ago. Hurts all the time, but that's not the point. No matter what the "tests" show, keep at your doctor until you find out what is going on. Because of your athletics, you may have done some real damage to you spine. Hang in there young man.

Regards.....
Larry

Old 04-10-2001, 12:37 AM   #15

NIX70chs HB User

Finished with EMG today, Guess what, came back normal. The doctor either said "I'm stumped" or "I have no clue what to tell you" I can't remember which. I was having a really bad pain day, and they gave me a shot for the pain which did nothing for the pain of the test or from the whatever the hell I have. Now what?

Closed Thread