It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2000, 02:48 AM   #1

GastroDisaster HB User
Lower Back - Chronic Pain - Scar Tissue

In 94/95, I shattered two disks and had them removed. Scar tissue attacked the main nerves in my spine and another surgery was done to cut the scar tissue away from the nerves, the offending tissue pushed to the side and not removed for fear of it regrowing back even larger. Each year I've experienced more pain, from mild to severe deep aching, to sharp stabs in the lower back, to slight numbness, and of course.. the muscles on both sides of my spine near the surgery area are simply shot. They are so weak and knotted up most of the time that bending over is a collossal feat at best and always very painful. I was thinking about epiderals, some say they can help shrink scar tissue that presses against the main nerves in the spine in surgery areas. Has anyone had any experience with such a thing? I have permanent nerve damage to my left ankle and foot. I often take half to a whole pain pill to control bad bouts, but I'm very careful not to become addicted as my sister is a fybromyalgia patient and is also a prescription drug addict - Extreme. I find myself suffering day and night due to the fear of becoming dependent on pain killers, plus the fact that I Hate feeling stoned. Anti inflammatory drugs help sometimes, but not enough to warrant the strain on my terrorized stomach. Elastic back braces do help at times. I'd like to start exercising my back to make it stronger...but each time I try, I end up in bed for days. After 13 different and painful surgeries..I consider myself a pretty tough bird.....but, I'm growing weary of living like this. I never envisioned that my 30's would be a decade of pain and fear. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much for reading my post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2000, 04:10 AM   #2

Maria Bos HB User
Re: Lower Back - Chronic Pain - Scar Tissue

Hi GastroDisaster (I like the name), I could have written your post for you, you know? I've had 2 laminectomies within 2 week from eachother, and I have scar tissue from the nerve root to the disc. I have permanent nerve damage on my left foot, ankle. (drop foot and not reflex) I am in constant pain. I have had 3 lumbar epidurals, and unfortunetly they did not help me. I had a transforaminal epidural, which means they go in and they try to shoot the stuff directly to the scar tissue using an x-ray machine as they are poking you around. The last time I had an epidural I got a flare up that lasted over 3 weeks. I too try to exercise adn I suffer afterwards. I try to walk, and I have to lye down to recover from it. I've been told that I have to "live with it". I say "hell no!" Unlike you , I am on narcotics now. If I had know I would be suffering so long I would not have taken them to start with. But I thought I was going to be in pain for a couple of weeks or so, and then I would be all better, and I would never need to take pain meds again. The pain got worse and worse, and the pain meds got stronger and stronger.
While doing a search online I found a place called Bonati Institute and they sound very promising. They remover scar tissue with laser surgery. I am switching insurance providers, and they accept the new insurance so as of January I can actually consider going.
Have you heard of the wydase procedure that removes scar tissue? You can do an online search on that too.
Try the epidurals. My theory is that I will do anything, and try anything if their is any chance of me getting better. As long as it is not dangerous, I will do it. I have nothing to loose. (a flare up is not dangerous, it's just annoying, and I would do it again, if they tell me to have another epidural)

I need to get better, and I will get better.

I love the name, very original!

Good luck to you, I hope and pray that you find some relief soon.

Maria (Bos)
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 11-22-2000).]

Old 11-19-2000, 04:11 AM   #3
Unregistered

I often take half to a whole pain pill to control bad bouts, but I'm very careful not to become addicted as my sister is a fybromyalgia patient and is also a prescription drug addict - Extreme. I find myself suffering day and night due to the fear of becoming dependent on pain killers, plus the fact that I Hate feeling stoned.
I'd like to start exercising my back to make it stronger...but each time I try, I end up in bed for days.
Hi GastroDisaster,
I like your name, lol.
You should worry a lot more about being addicted to drugs and a lot less about being dependent on drugs. If you are getting a feeling like you are "stoned" when you take your pain pill you are in danger of getting addicted on the drug because it is to strong. If the pain pills arenít enough to cover your daily pain you arenít getting enough. Most doctors try to give enough pain medication to cover 70%-80% of the pain. If you keep in that guideline you might become dependent on the drugs, Eg. need them to function at your current activity level, but you wonít become addicted, Eg. Need them to get the feeling you are stoned.
You need to talk to your doctor about this, he/she could put you on a more constant pain medicine and by controlling your activity level you could live with most of the pain gone, %70-%80.
The only exercise that works for me is swimming. You can choose your own pace and amount and type (strokes) and do only what you can without increasing your pain level through the roof. I have found that I have to limit myself to a half an hour once a week, it increases my pain for one day only. It doesnít seem like much but you are right in thinking you need to exercise. You just have to realize you have to limit yourself. A little exercise is better than none.
You might also want to consider a weekly back massage. Itís not unusual to get trigger points in your back that can be very painful. A certified massage therapist can keep your muscles from causing as much pain as the scar tissue.
Good luck and God bless,
John H.

Old 11-20-2000, 05:16 AM   #4

Maria NY HB User

You may want to check Wydase lysis treatments.. my scar tissue was tangled in with my nerves like a spider's web. Procedure was performed by a pain doctor (an anesthesialogist) using a fluroscope to see L5-S1 area.. scar tissue grew in this area for about 6 years after my L5-S1 disc herniation operation. I asked my doctor about scar tissue growing back.. he responded it might and it may not. I decided to do this procedure even if tissue grows back because I could no longer tolerant the scar tissue pain. I have been scar tissue pain free since March of this year. You can also search on the internet for Wydase treatments information. Wish you well and hope you can find relief. Maria NY

Old 11-21-2000, 04:37 PM   #5

GastroDisaster HB User

Thanks for the info and support, John, Maria, & Maria. It's good to know there are others out there who understand and are dealing with the same or similar situations. And yes, I am going to check out the Wydase treatments information, might be worth a shot! Thank you all.

Always looking forward to a brighter tomorrow!
GD*

Closed Thread