It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002, 08:36 AM   #1

guitarman HB User
back pain causing rib/abdominal pain

I have had abdominal pain as well as upper rib area pain for about 2-4 years I had the following tests:

Ab /pelvis CT scan
hida scan
barium enema
ab/chest xrays
blood tests
ab ultrasound

all normal....

I've notice that if I'm sitting down playing my guitar,
I lean forward to mess with my guitaar effects boz my mid back really hurts and my ad ribs hurt....could this be what is causing my ab/rib pain...obviously while I'm experiencing the pain its apparently the cause, but days/weeks/months after I still have the pain my ribs are sore as well as my abdominal pain is still there.....

Old 06-08-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Re: back pain causing rib/abdominal pain

Since these tests have all come back normal, I can only guess it is your muscles being strained that is causing the pain. I had severe muscle strain in my back and neck from a car accident and was laid up for 6 months. Muscle strain will not show up on these tests. It is caused from the muscles being used or stretched in a way they are not used to, and is helped by physical therapy. You can usually tell yourself if it is in the muscles by pressing on the problem areas, because there will be knots, and tenderness in this area and if this is the case, they need to be kneaded out by a therapist who does soft tissue work. You can ask to be referred to PT if you think this will help you. I hope you get some relief. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
(male)

saltkreep230 HB User

Hi Guitarman.... Maybe this will help you to think twice... I injured my low back in october of 1990... about two months after my injury I started having (R) rib pain... The doctor said he was puzzled... that should have nothing to do with my back... I went through the mri showing there was an impingement to the (r) s-1 nerve due to a disc herniation to the (R)... I then started having (L) leg pain... They still insisted the rib paing had nothing to do with my back... My friend... I went through 5 years of suffering..The rib pain was worse than anything... pain meds didnt touch it... During traction, Guess what! no rib pain... They were still insistant... It was when i came under a new doctors care that he did a L5-S1 dic surgery... Mind you 1996... back pain GONE... leg pain GONE.... Never returning untill 2003 when I reinjured my back... same symtoms same place.. In 2004 i had a repeat surgery... Again... Gone...A year later... Yes... back Problems... Mri again shows impingement of that same nerve... All symtoms the same... And yes... the dreded rib pain... Again surgical intervention takes care or all symtoms... I was told its only a matter or time I will have to have a fusion... Four months ago I started having back pain.. That disc is wasted.. again all symtoms the same... Dont forget the rib pain... However... Now there is pain to the left at the same level... and Yep left rib pain... Due to this injury a knot develops in the affected area... if you push on that knot... unbareable pain in the ribs.. Hqave you had any spinal studies done???? I hope this helps...

Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
(female)

lotust HB User

look into your quadratus lumborum. It attaches to your rib. I have the same pain. Try trigger point injections and stretches

[IMG]http://www.deeptissue.com/learn/torso/QL.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by lotust; 09-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
(male)

saltkreep230 HB User

Thank you very much.... however that's not going to take care of the leg pain and foot drop..... also the vertebraes are rubbing.... but thank you very much...

Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
(female)

lotust HB User

[QUOTE=saltkreep230;4835718]Thank you very much.... however that's not going to take care of the leg pain and foot drop..... also the vertebraes are rubbing.... but thank you very much...[/QUOTE]

who are you talking to? I don't see the OP mentioning Drop foot or leg pain. Maybe I am not seeing what your seeing.

Closed Thread