It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2002, 09:50 PM   #1

mitch35 HB User
Lower Abdominal Pain/Wedged L3

For the last nine months I've had pain and discomfort in my lower abdomed/back and testes. I have been checked for a hernia several times and had an abdominal MRI which showed I have a wedged L3. The doc is sending me back for another MRI of the L3 area for a closer look to see if this may be the cause of the problem. I knew of the wedged L3 from an x-ray after an accident I was in a few years back but never had any symptoms besides some mild lower back pain every now and then. Any information or advice would be appreciated, I'm tired of living in discomfort all the time and want to get back to my old self.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Re: Lower Abdominal Pain/Wedged L3

Did the doctor say what he meant by a " wedged " L3? I am female, but can tell you I had a herniated disk at L4 and had many problems with abdominal pain, low back pain, and low pelvic pain, all were associated with the herniation. I had surgery, and the pain is gone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2002, 06:56 PM   #3

mitch35 HB User

No he did not say what he meant by "wedged" L3 but hopefully after the next MRI I have this Sunday I will get a better explination. I'm hoping it's associated with my back I've been tested for just about everything else and despertly need an answer. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kamden:
<B>Did the doctor say what he meant by a " wedged " L3? I am female, but can tell you I had a herniated disk at L4 and had many problems with abdominal pain, low back pain, and low pelvic pain, all were associated with the herniation. I had surgery, and the pain is gone.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran

Kamden HB User

Please let me know how your MRI turns out. I would like to know if this is a herniation you have. I had low back pain and all the other symptoms i named for almost a year before it progressed so rapidly that i couldn't get off the couch. If it is your low back, and seemed to start about 9 months ago, did you start a new job or change jobs at that time, change your physical activities? That is what i did, and it was pure back problems from then on, just aggravated the problems I already had. You can have a bulging disk with no symptoms, but changing jobs, physical movements, can aggravate it very quickly. Constant bending, even slightly, or lifting are two major causes of it worsening. Good Luck

Old 02-11-2002, 09:39 AM   #5

mitch35 HB User

I'm active all the time with my job which hasn't changed since I started having the pain. I had my MRI yesterday and should get the results by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 02-15-2002, 06:45 PM   #6

mitch35 HB User

MRI results are in, there was a message from the doc on the answering machine when I got home. The doc stated "there was a bunch of disk degeneration in my lower back" I'm not sure what he means by a bunch, but he did say it was the source of the pain. The doc also stated there were no nerves being pinched off which is good. My question is if there are no nerves being pinched, then what is causing all the pain? The doc also said he wants to set me up with the pain clinic after I see him next week. What kind of treatment can I expect from the pain clinc with this type of problem? Any feedback would be great.

Old 02-17-2002, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran

Kamden HB User

Hi Mitch, What the doctor said doesn't make much sense to me either. I have degenerative disk disease too, but my pain came from a herniated disk, and knots in the muscles in my low back and abdomen. However, when I had these same symptoms, physical therapy helped me immensely. It did not occur to my doc to suggest this either, I asked to referred there because it was the only treatment that helped me with the pain, before my surgery. It was the muscles in my back, and abdomen that were causing the pain. They were tightened up, and the therapist kneads the knots out of them. All of these muscles, low back, both sides of the low abdomen, and into the groin area are all connected. I would suggest this before the pain clinic, because a pain clinic tries to control the symptoms, where physical therapy finds the source of the pain and attempts to take care of the cause rather than controlling the symptoms. Please keep writing and let me know how you do. No matter what the doctor suggests, it is always up to you to decide. Also, I may forget to check this occasionally, so if you can, please post a knew one titled " To Kamden ", but hopefully I will remember!

Closed Thread