It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #1

stilljustagirl HB User
SSD sending me for psych evaluation? Please respond.

Hi. For those who don't know, I had two back surgeries, fusion l5/s1 with all the hardware. I applied for Social Security Disability retroactively as I didn't know that you can apply if you are receiving state disability. Well, I got denied, but I put in a reconsideration as they denied me on the grounds of the injury not lasting a year, (they didn't see that it was retroactively) Okay, so I get a call today and they tell me that they are sending me for a psych evaluation for the depression. As it's true I"m on medication for that, and I am depressed, I mean, why do they care so much about that,I've been carved like a turkey and have tons of hardware! They don't care about this? They are considering giving it to me depending on how my psych evaluation goes for depression? Where will they send me? What will they ask. Is it their Dr. Anyone know anything? Please let me know what you know. Thanks a lot.........jag

Old 10-25-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Re: SSD sending me for psych evaluation? Please respond.

Depression plays a huge role in your ability to work, that is why you are being evaluated. It can cause lack of sleep, fatigue, lack of concentration, memory problems, poor stress tolerance, etc. SSD does not go by what is wrong with you or what surgeries you have had, they go by how your condition affects you. If you cannot stand and work, they are now looking at finding a way for you to sit and work. Depression can preclude a person from any work at all. And the more medical problems you have, the better chance you have at getting SSD. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 10:33 PM   #3

memagayle HB User

I too had to go to psych evaluation to get my social security disability. I too have multiple surgeries on my back. it is all a part of their process. Dont give up. Just go to every appointment they give you. I finaly got mine after 3 1/2 years. It is not a easy process. Hang in there.

Old 10-26-2002, 11:41 AM   #4
(male)

Tony111 HB User

Hey stilljustagirl,

I did the same as you and was approved on the depression aspect. List everything that is affecting you and be persitent. If you do get approved you will get a lump sum check from the date that you applied, as well as continuing monthly checks as long as you are disabled. Also, by the time that you get through the system it will be a condition that has lasted a least a year.

Good luck!
Tony

Old 10-26-2002, 05:45 PM   #5

stilljustagirl HB User

Thanks for replying. Tony, it has already lasted a year. I am applying retroactively.

3 1/2 years is way too long. Why so long, either you were depressed or you weren't.

I understand that depression is a serious thing, I am on meds, but I also have had the back surgeries 'affect' me so why aren't they considering that. Why just the depression, I don't really get that.

How long did it take you Tony to get your money after your first psych evaluation? I don't have years, I need the money now. My job voluntairly resigned me as I couldn't make it back in six months. Anyway, please write back and tell me what I can look forward to. Isn't one appointment good enough to evaluate? Where will they send me? This is weird. Okay thanks again........jag

Old 10-26-2002, 07:20 PM   #6
(male)

Tony111 HB User

Hey stilljustagirl,

It took about 1 1/2 to 2 years to get to the final decision in my case. I had 2 denials and 2 appeals and then went before the Admistrative Law Judge that made the final decicion to grant me the disability. I also had an attorney who handled my case. They are capped on how much they can get and i think that the process goes a little smoother and stays on schedule with an attorney. But, you do not have to have one if you don't want to.

I would keep the appointment with the psych and let him know just how much the spinal problems has affected your life! ie. you can't stand, sit walk,sleep, can't concentrate, get angry, get sad, cry, and your quailty of life has declinded to the point that all you can do is struggle to get through each day.

They will be watching how you move, talk, if you look them in the eyes or not, how long it takes you to answer questions and and most of all your ability to concentrate and respond normally. What they are looking for is if you could theoretically do some type of work...even if only for a couple of hours per day. So, when you go to the appointment remember the real bad days and just be that way when you are there! If you feel like crying...cry! IT is frustrating and you are in need of help from the money that you paid into the system when you worked and you need and deserve it!

The system does have a lot of people that are dead beats that are trying to get a free ride and they do have to weed those people out. But, you have been through several surgeries and your life is at a piont where you can not support yourself anymore, so, don't give up!

I would also recommend getting ALL of your medical records and submit the ones that are beneficial to you.
Also, if they send you to one of thier doctors that say that you are not disabled....then you go to 2 or 3 of your own doctors and have them say that you can not work...ie. your 3 to thier 1. It't the same thing that the work comp attorneys do and the injured workers do!!

here is a link that you should check out, just copy and paste into your browser: <A HREF="http://arthritis.about.com/library/weekly/aa083100a.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://arthritis.about.com/library/weekly/aa083100a.htm</A>

Good Luck to you and let me know how it goes!
Tony

Old 10-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #7

stilljustagirl HB User

Tony, hi. Once again, thanks for responding. I hope you don't mind one more post on the subject? Your information was great, the only thing is.. as I mentioned I didn't know that I could've applied for this a year ago when I first became disabled. I'm doing much better now, and they will see that in the psych evaluation. They know that I am applying retroactively so the only thing that I can do is tell them how I 'used' to feel. So how I respond to them now, isn't really the issue I guess. I never thought I would be psych evaluated, It makes me nervous and I don't like it at all. I really thought the focus would be on my back surgeries. I did speak to an attorney, and he told me to come back if I need a hearing. Anyway, thanks again for talking about it....bye for now.......jag

Closed Thread