It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #1

Prabhav HB User
Butt Pain caused by extensive sitting

Hi all,

I am a male, 24 years old. 5'10", 135 lbs.

I have this severe butt pain, radiating down to my hamstrings, because of which I cannot run at all. I even am not able to walk sometime. I have noticed the pain starts when I have been sitting for too long(I have to drive my car 4 hours every day).

I have visited all doctors, orthopedic, neurologist, chiropractor, accupuncture; to no avail. My MRI, EMG, X-ray reports are negative..no problem at all.

I am an athelete and cannot live this life with pain. I also am a programmer and have to sit a lot, including sitting involved during driving. So I cannot cut back too much on my sitting period, I make sure that I get up frequently during my continuous sitting, but that doesn't help too much. I have been doing some buttocks and hamstring exercises. The pain is still there.

Is there anybody who can suggest a thing or two? Any kind of suggestion is welcome. I don't wanna go to the extent of having steroid injection or things like that though.

Please help. SOS

Old 06-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Butt Pain caused by extensive sitting

Could be periformis syndrom, the muscle lies right over the sciatic nerve where it may compress the nerve and cause sciatic pain. This doesn't usually show up on the usual tests. I've had it for years, even after I quit my sit down job it didn't stop. I'd persue this with the neuorlogist as this can turn into a permanent condition like mine did if you don't find out and take care of it. It can also be radiculopathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2002, 10:08 AM   #3

looking4relief HB User

There are special cusions you can get also at any drug store that will help a little they look like a doughnut =)Also try and shift as often as possible I had alot of pain like your describing when I was pregnant and it flares up from time to time if I sit to long.So if you are in the car adjust the back often shift your weight around when you can and if you are at a desk just take lil stretches to keep that area from getting inflamed.None of what I am saying is a cure but maybe you will have a little less pain I hope keep talking to the Dr. you will find one that will know what to do.Don't give up and remember we are here if you need us =)

Old 06-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #4

Prabhav HB User

Thanks to Nancy and Looking4Relief.

My orthopedics told me it is not a periformis syndrome,neither a sciatia or radiculopathy. I might have strained my muscles by sitting too much. I will take your suggestions and follow them.

Please do post more suggestions if you have any, anything to help.
Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2002, 01:13 PM   #5

melissa424 HB User

have you been tested for sacroilliac joint dysfunction?

Old 06-09-2002, 01:17 PM   #6

melissa424 HB User

have you been tested for sacroilliac joint dysfunction?
i hope i am not posting twice if i do i am sorry.
melissa

Old 06-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #7

Prabhav HB User

Thanks Melissa for the posting.

I have had MRI and Xray and both of them gave a negative result. My doc(neurologist, orthopedic) didn't mention anything on sacroilliac joint dysfunction.

I researched this term in the internet and it looks like the pain is caused either by too much movement or lack thereof. My pain, it seems, is caused by sitting too much in my buttocks (like in long drives).

Whats you view on this?

I am thankful of you all for the posts and hope more people will provide more suggestions, of any degree.
thanks

Old 06-12-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Unregistered

Hi,i also have butt pain,but mine radiates down the side of my hips & back of legs,& it is very bad,i recently had a cortizone injection for my si joint,& i'm only 21yrs.old.i defintley did not want the injection,but i was in severe pain for 2 yrs.& i have taken all sorts of muscle relaxors.first you need to have a bone scan,that's where they found inflamaton of my si joint.i had an mri,& emg(nerve test)& x-rays,but nothing showed up until the bone scan,so if the pain continues,please ask the dr.to do one

Old 06-16-2002, 10:36 AM   #9

Prabhav HB User

Thanks all for the replies.

Orville, we both seem to have same problem. I am on my early 20s and I have same symptoms. Do you sit on one place for too long? How is the injection helping?

Please keep posting the suggestions.

Closed Thread