HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Chronic pain from spinal stenosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/813658-chronic-pain-spinal-stenosis.html)

countrycraftsoaps 04-22-2002 06:16 PM

Chronic pain from spinal stenosis

Just wondering after being on so may meds to try and take the PAIN away-and they don't want to do surgery (because the DR. said it could still end up being the same pain-or maybe even worse) what is a person to do ? Live with it I guess huh ? The only thing that takes the pain away for awhile is tylenol 3 w/codiene and she won't subscribe anymore cause she says it is addicting....this is fine-I understand this-but what other alternative do I have ? I'm not able to lay down when I want to -so the pain is relieved.
I have tried antiinflammatory (?) and NOTHING seems to help--actually to get right down to it--MY LIFE IS MISERABLE because of the pain..
Ya know if you didn't know me-you would see me out in my yard or at my housecleaning job, and to look at me you would think-YA RIGHT_THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HER--but ya know-Most of the time I hide the pain-because I am doing what I know has to be done--pain or no pain--PAY LATER ! How does a person explain this kind of pain to one who does not know ??????
thanks you all-your great !

KenC 04-22-2002 08:18 PM

Re: Chronic pain from spinal stenosis

I can relate to your pain, as I too have spinal stenosisi, I had surgery 2 years ago but really to no avail, I still have the pain.

I am taking vicodin and have been since day one.
So I'm not convinced that surgerys the answer, I understand your pain and the way people don't understand. What I have done is to limit my activity
severly, (i.e) limited yard work, lifting, bending,kneeling. i wish sometimes these drs. could experience the pain we endure day to day and they might alter thier ideas on how to treat this,
As far as the vicodin I don't feel as though I'm addicted i just use it for some kind of relief, what I've noticed is that it takes more pills to get the same relief as before, I even changed careers as a result of this but there are limitations to this career also as in any career you decide upon, So i guess for now we just have to learn to adapt to our new lifestyle
Ken

nstar92 04-23-2002 02:37 PM

Country & Ken,
I had surgery for Stenosis, and it really did a world of good! Mine was at the L4/5 level. Now I just did come out of a fusion L4-S1, but it had nothing to do with the Stenotic Spine, I also have DDD, and the Discs went bad.
If I were you I would definitely be seeking out a second opinion with someone other than where you are at. There are a lot more docs out there than the ones you have, and they will be more than willing to help you.
I was also told that my spine was not "stenotic" enough for surgery by the first surgeon that did my Dissectomy. But what can you expect from a surgeon that misseda 1/4 cm Bone spike sticking into the L4/5 nerve??
Keep on trucking you 2 !
Lisa

quiltingjean 04-23-2002 06:19 PM

I am sorry for your pain and while I don't have stenosis I understand chronic pain and what it can do to you. You need to talk to your doctor again or find a new one. Some people can trully benefit from narcotics and there is a differenc between addiction and dependence.

I kept saying no to my PM doc when he suggested oxycontin for my pain. I didn't want to get addicted. He kept telling me you won't get addicted there is a difference. It took him 8 months and boy I wish he would have talked me into it sooner. WHile they don't take away all my pain they make it livable at least most of the time the other thing I have learned is to listen to my body and do no more then it tells me.

So get on some pain meds, if new surgery is not an option. If you don't go to a pain management center get to one they can work wonders. GOod luck to you and don't be such a hero. I would guess that most of us look wonderful and like to pretend that we don't hurt, but we do. So accept it and let others around you help you. JEan

ihurt 04-23-2002 06:41 PM

Hi Country, I too have spinal stenosis and also live with chronic pain so I can really relate to what you are saying. If it were just the pain in my back I think I could live with it, but my feet and legs are constantly in so much pain. I am on a waiting list (have been for over a year - Canadian) for a decompression and a fusion at the L4-S1 levels. I also had an EMG (the needles in the muscles on the legs), and am really confused after reading the report. I received one after my appt. with the surgeon, so haven't had anyone explain it to me. Terms such as: "wonder about a neuropraxic component", and "makes one wonder about a superimposed peripheral neuropathy" were written by the neurologist who did the testing. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a dr. in this area. I live in Ontario, just across the river from Niagara Falls. My family physician has left the medical practice and it is impossible to find another dr. who is taking on new patients. My appt. with the surgeon (who is 50 miles away) isn't until June, so guess I'll have to wait for some answers, but meanwhile I'm going nuts wondering if the surgery will help me if it is peripehral neuropathy. Guess I've babbled on long enough, sorryyyyy! I pray that you find some relief for your pain.

melissa424 05-24-2002 09:38 PM

this is so weird i have spinal stenosis to and my d tells me that nothing will help.I feel just as you do very depressed and hopeless. but i also think my dr. don't want to help me because i am on workers comp, i went to an osteopathic dr on my insurance, he was going to help me but ins found out it was comp and decided not to pay and now osteo dr can't help me. I am 30 yo hurt for 6 yrs and tired of trying conv dr.s how intense my pain is, be cause comp keeps trying to force dr to make me go to work, as well as sick of being in pain , in fact i have alot more to say but in too much pain to type more. but just want you to know you are not alone and i wish we could find help thanks, melissa

Off board contact information such as emails are not permitted.
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 05-25-2002).]

annie49 05-27-2002 06:36 PM

hi i am new here and have spinal stenosis and spondylothesis and have chronic pain . Dr says surgery will not help but heck what can you expect from workers comp Dr.? I had a diskogram and showed leakage at L-3 L-5. Also had an Functional capacity evaluation. Can anyone tell me what Oswestry = 45% means. Thanks for your time. God bless and ill keep you all in my prayers. Ann

annie49 05-27-2002 10:31 PM

hi
i posted a message earlier but decided to tell my story.I was working in a veterns home as nurse assistant w/ Alzhiemers patients and i loved it very much caring for those who fought for our freedom. I caught a patient from hitting the floor and hurt my back,but did get supervisor to fill out incident report.this happened Feb,2001and i have been to 3 workers comp. Dr. had trigger injections,epeduril injections,mri,emgand all came back ook but had diskogram and the Dr who did that said i had leakage at L-3 and L5 into spinal canal. I had 6 mo.P.T. so now they say i have spinal stenosis, Degenerate disk diease and spondylothesis. Ive never known so much pain .surgery will not help and Dr will not fuse good disk to bad.When i sit for 25 min. feels like everything is cramed on my low back,and walking it feels like when your hands are so cold and you warm them at the fire that burning tingling feeling? thats what my back feels like and my right leg will get numb and sometimes i fall.When will the nightmare end.Sorry about going on and on . i know the pain you all are having im on lortab and flextra dosent help much but takes the edge off. I was also fired from my job because i wouldnt go to work due to my meds i was taking tylox and couldnt fuction real well and i told them i couldnt and wouldnt put my patients and co-workers and myself in jepordy. well thanks for listening God Bless you all and hope tommrow will bring a painless day for you all. Ann