It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

yorkieluv HB User
hemilaminectomy and Discectomy surgery recovery

Hi All, This is my first post I need some help and support. I had back surgery 7 days agon hemilaminectomy and discectomy. My doctor really did not tell me what to expet and I had a horrible 24 hrs in the hospital. My discharge instructions don't tell me anything and I have tried to call the doctors office to schedule a follow up but they wont call back.

Can anyone tell me how long the recovery should take? Financially I must work, so I planning on going back on Monday. I'm in alot of pain and it's worse when I sit up. I don't know how I'm going to handle the 40 minute drive to work then sitting all day.

Should I use heat or cold? Any advise would be great! I'm ready to lose it.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

pfox HB User
Re: hemilaminectomy and Discectomy surgery recovery

Wow, I think you went back way to soon.I had my second surgery once on the left now on the right 8 weeks ago and I just went back. If you still hurt try physical therapy it really maks a difference, they will tell you cold is good for inflamation and swelling and heat to relax the muscles.In my opinion you will never be 100% but keep active thats the secret and don't get down because of the pain it can make you crazy but hang in there is gets better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: hemilaminectomy and Discectomy surgery recovery

I would agree that you are trying to return to work too soon. You don't say if it was a lumbar disc that was operated on...but if it was, your time spent sitting is usually restricted to about 20 minutes at the beginning. Many doctors do not allow patients to drive for 2 to 4 weeks after surgery. Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the spine than does standing or walking. Thus, the restrictions on sitting for more than a short period of time at the beginning.

Recovery generally takes anywhere from one to four weeks, but keep in mind that the disc does not form a tough scab for about six MONTHS, so you will need to be mindful of your back during this whole time period. It is not uncommon to have the disc reherniate in the early days, so try to go easy with most activity. Walking will be the best form of exercise during this healing period.

You should try to avoid activities that require bending or twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling and lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk at the beginning...then there is a limit of about 30 pounds for most patients. Of course different surgeons have slightly different ideas about recovery, but, in general, these are the basic rules.

Closed Thread