It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

jww0310 HB User
Extreme pain after facet joint injections

I have a 4mm posterior central disc protrusion and associated annular tear at l5-s1 and facet hypertrophy at l4-l5 and l5-s1.. I had 3 epidural injections which didnt help so this last time i seen the pain doc he did facet joint injections in the l4-l5 joints and since it was done about a week ago the sciatica pain is alot worse in my leg and buttocks.. He wants to do the radio frequency ablation and burn the nerves.. Has anyone had this done? Why would the sciatica pain be worse after these injections?
My uncle is a doctor although a plastic surgeon but he seen the image from the fluroscopic x-ray and the dye and steroids were pushed to the left away from the injection site.. he said most likely from the annular tear.. He said the tear would cause alot of pain but didnt understand the pain from the facet injections.. Anyone have any insight?

jww

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
(female)

Donna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB User
Re: Extreme pain after facet joint injections

I am so lost from all the different comments my various doctors have made to me, then the various ways I have read here.

My thought process and conversations with my doctors say that the injections are a diagnostic tool for the most part. If the injection works, then that indicative that the RFA should have success.

If the shots did not work, I am confused as to why the doctor would want to go forward with the RFA.

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut..I may create more questions than answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Extreme pain after facet joint injections

usually the facet injection are done as a precursor to the rf abalations, the facets are diagnostic, if they didn't work then you don't to the RFA. That's the way my PM does them anyways. Did you say it looked like on the image the dye was pushed towards the annular tear because that would explain the leg pain. It should ease up in a few days, are you doing ice? cj

Closed Thread