It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

Nemeria HB User
Sitting after Lumbar Fusion

All, my husband just had a L5/S1 fusion on Monday. He's home now and really doesn't want to stay in bed. He's always had trouble sleeping while in bed so, it's not surprising that he's having issues now. (We also don't have a TV in the bedroom and he has trouble holding a book while lying down).

We've rented a chair like this one and he has been spending most of his time in it, reclined. He does get up several times a day and walk around the apartment with his walker. I'm worried that reclining as much as he is may hinder his healing? Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280230.jpg (16.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2010 at 05:28 AM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
(female)

cupiecake HB Usercupiecake HB User
Re: Sitting after Lumbar Fusion

I just had alumbar fusion on L5-S1 two weeks ago. My surgeon has not given me any sitting restrictions. I can sit as long as I am comfortable. I found the best way was to use one of our dining room armchairs. It's a good height, a firm cushion, and arms to help me get in and out of the chair.

I've found that trying to be up and around a lot during the day helped me feel better faster. The more I laid around, the more it hurt. At two weeks now I'm feeling really good....I can do laundry (with my grabber), cook dinner, drive and run errands, pretty much anything that doesn't involve bending twisting or lifting. I have two kids age 22 months and 4, so I've got plenty to do lol. My mom is here to help with their care.

Walking is great. He should walk as much as possible throughout the day. My doc wanted me to be able to walk 1/2 mile a day by 1 week post op. He wants me walking 3-5 miles a day by one month. He's tough but lots of walking gives the best results. I'm 37, female.

Hope your husband has an easy recovery...keep us posted

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cupiecake For This Useful Post:
mak7979 (12-06-2010), Nemeria (11-28-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

Doctors will usually tell you about sitting limitations. After my L5-S1 fusion many years ago, I was told not to sit more than 15 minutes at a time. This was also the rule following my L4-5 fusion as well. Sitting time generally is increased as tolerated. Reclining should be okay as well as his back is well supported, and he should be walking as much as possible. This will strengthen the back muscles and stretch scar tissue.

It is always best to call the doctors office for instructions as to what is allowed and not allowed. That way, there can be no doubt.

I hope your husband has a complete recovery.

Carol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maltluver For This Useful Post:
mak7979 (12-06-2010), Nemeria (11-27-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
(male)

fusepro HB Userfusepro HB Userfusepro HB User

Another thing that walking does is increase blood flow which bone needs to fuse so the more walking,the better. My Dr. siad even short but frequent walks are very helpful. And also as Malt siad....it keeps those muscles that are healing active as well. I use a good recliner,in fact I am on my second one! Wore out the first one. My Dr. had no problem with it...My main reason I wore one out was that I could'int sleep in bed after my last surgery in May due to hip pain,I needed a semi-reclined position to get any sort of comfort. Right now he is trying to get me a hospital bed with all the power adjustments.
Its always best to talk about all these things with your Dr. as has already been siad. They know whats best for your particular situation.

Good luck with getting that comfort as rest and sleep are just as if not more important than the excercising in the first month or two. Oh I just remembered my doc once told me most of the healing takes place when your sleeping...Hey if he says thats true,I believe it!

Keep us updated on how everything is going

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fusepro For This Useful Post:
mak7979 (12-06-2010), Nemeria (11-28-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
(male)

catsaunders HB User

hi, i had L4-5 fusion 3.5 weeks ago and was sitting in my computer chair for 15 min at a time and the recliner all the time. Was told as long as have the brace on it is ok. Hope this helps

Closed Thread