It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
(female)

nycindyloo HB User
Question Recovering from laminectomy and L4/L5 Microdiscectomy: Leg pain and drainage?

On Friday (12/10/10) I had a laminectomy and L4/L5 microdiscectomy. My sciatic pain and nerve pain that went down my left leg went away until yesterday. Now I have some pain that is scarily familiar to what I had for the past year. My first question is: is this normal or does this mean the discectomy didn't work?

Secondly, I was instructed to not change the dressing until today. From the outside of the bandage/tegaderm I couldn't see any blood/drainage. Once we took it off, it was more soaked than I thought it would be. Pale red in color and not smelly. We put a new wad of gauze and tegaderm on and this filled up during the day. We put another new one on this evening and after a few hours, I can already see discoloration appearing on the gauze. Everywhere I read online it says to be aware of bleeding/discharge. What is normal? When should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nycindyloo; 12-15-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Recovering from laminectomy and L4/L5 Microdiscectomy: Leg pain and drainage?

Please call your surgeon's office to discuss the drainage. The last thing you want or need is to end up with an infection. It is probably nothing, but just to be sure, check with your doctor. Also, take your temperature to determine whether you are running a fever, or not. That would be a sign of possible infection.

Regarding the pain, it is very normal to have some recurrence of symptoms, depressing though it is when it happens. You are bound to still have some swelling and inflammation internally. You probably had some numbing agent poured in around the surgical area as the surgeon was closing. As this wears off, it is normal to have an increase in pain, but as the swelling goes down, the pain should gradually go away. Remember, the nerves have been irritated and it can take awhile for them to return to "normal."

Be sure to walk several times each day. This helps with the prevention of scar tissue adhering to the nerves and also helps to get freshly oxygenated blood to the surgical site, which doesn't have lots of blood vessels running through it.

It is better to walk shorter distances several times per day than taking one long walk. At the beginning distance isn't all that important.

Just try to be patient and follow your doctor's instructions for after-care...and I think you'll see the pain will eventually fade away. Good luck in recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

swider HB User
Re: Recovering from laminectomy and L4/L5 Microdiscectomy: Leg pain and drainage?

[QUOTE=nycindyloo;4642364]On Friday (12/10/10) I had a laminectomy and L4/L5 microdiscectomy. My sciatic pain and nerve pain that went down my left leg went away until yesterday. Now I have some pain that is scarily familiar to what I had for the past year. My first question is: is this normal or does this mean the discectomy didn't work?

Secondly, I was instructed to not change the dressing until today. From the outside of the bandage/tegaderm I couldn't see any blood/drainage. Once we took it off, it was more soaked than I thought it would be. Pale red in color and not smelly. We put a new wad of gauze and tegaderm on and this filled up during the day. We put another new one on this evening and after a few hours, I can already see discoloration appearing on the gauze. Everywhere I read online it says to be aware of bleeding/discharge. What is normal? When should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
(female)

swider HB User
Smile Re: Recovering from laminectomy and L4/L5 Microdiscectomy: Leg pain and drainage?

Hi
I had an L4/L5 micro discectomy on the 9th Dec 2010, after suffering terriblle pain down my right leg for several months, I was very nervous at the thought of having the procedure done, when I came round from the op the pain in my leg had gone, however after being home a couple of days the pain in my leg returned in fact it was worse along with what felt like burning, I did panic that the op had failed but after about 2 weeks the pain has disappeared thank go, I think that this was because the nerves had to settle down after being compresed for so long. The op itself left my feeling very sore and painful for the first 3 weeks I was lucky that I have a wonderful family to help me.
I will say that you must listen to the advise that the hospital give you and not to lift bend etc and take your time to do things. I am now walking quite a distant without any pain at all. Please let us know how it all goes xx

Closed Thread