It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User
Synovial Cyst info

Hello there all.

I have been diagnosed with a synovial cyst at L5. I have a good ortho surgeon, I feel. He found the cyst on a MRI, when the radiologist did not see it. I am having another MRI tomorrow to get a better picture of it. The first one was open, this is closed.

My question. I am having pain down both legs. The pain seems to start at the butt area, goes down the back of my thighs, then stops on the right leg, but on the left continues down the side of my calf and to my ankle. The worst pain is in the back of my thighs and my ankle. To me it's obvious nerve pain, shooting, burning and vibrating. My Doctor is concerned the pain is in both legs, and is wondering if there might be something else going on. So he will be having me have an injection to see if it helps the pain. If he determines the cyst is the total of the problem I will be having a microdisectomy. The rest of my back is good other than slight scoliosis.

Has anyone had pain in both legs from a cyst? Doc said it can even be caused by one leg giving the other the message to hurt. But he feels the bilateral leg pain is unusual for the cysts.

If it's not the cyst causing both leg pain, any direction to what else it might be? Can anything other than sciatica of some sort cause those type of symptoms? I have no pain in my feet at all, and they tested my feet for neuropathy, none, nor do I have any problems with the circulation in my legs.

Thank you so much for any help you may give. I have learned so much already from these boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User
Re: Synovial Cyst info

Did you report give the size of the cyst?

I've got no answers (yet), but I have one as well. I'm not sure what it means or does. Mine is 4x8 mm.

I'm sure someone here will have some insights.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

No report on the size of the cyst, as the radiologist did not pick it up. But my Doctor said it's large and appears to be pressing on the nerve. I had another MRI today, and that should show size.

Hopefully we can get some more info together.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

As you may already know, a synovial cyst is a fluid filled sac that usually forms as a result of disc degeneration. It can cause spinal canal stenosis (narrowing) that will give the symptoms you both describe.

If the pain is mild and controllable, usually an injection is given to see if you will get relief that way. If the pain is more severe, surgery to remove the cyst may be necessary. There is lots of information on the internet, so if you would like to do some research, (which I advise) you can learn what you need to know. This will help you in asking questions of your doctors and also in making a decision about the kind of treatment you receive. Knowing as much as possible about your condition allows you to be proactive in your care, and can also help in your decision about whether you want or need a second opinion.

I hope you will both continue to post and keep us informed on how you are doing.

Blessings,

Carol

Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

Hi Carol,

Thank you for the post. Believe me, I have done tons of research, but I cannot find the answer to my questions, which is has anyone had bilateral leg pain with the cyst, and also any indications of what it could be if it's not the back causing the pain, considering my symptoms.

But mainly I would like to start with the question of whether anyone has bilateral leg pain from a cyst pressing on a nerve. I find nothing about that occurring on the internet.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User

My MRI report says the cyst is compressing the L4 nerve root as well as the posterior lateral aspect of the thecal sac.

Whatever that means.

Sounds as if it's compressing a nerve, but it's very small, so I don't really know.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
(male)

DBKY HB User

Hi RMP12,

Sorry to hear about your sciatic pain down both your legs. I, too have had a history of synovial cyst that gives me pain down my legs. The first time it was the right leg from the hip down to the ankle. Doc performed a microscopci decompression to remove the cysts and I felt great. I went back to playing racquetball, and intense exercises. About 18 months later both legs started hurting and a MRI showed up again that I had synovial cysts again. Again the pain was so great that I had another decompression surgery at the L5S1 joint. Now, again the pain in my right leg is returning but the pain is not as bad the previous time but it is becoming a quality of life issue for me. I can no longer, cut the grass, work on the house, carry in grocieries, (just normal stuff you do in everyday living), so I am again going to look into getting another decompression and then along with the decompression have the L5S1 fused to hopefully stop the synovial cysts from forming. The diskectomy is not a bad surgery, it is can be done microscopically with a small incision and back to normal 4-6 weeks. Go for it and get rid of that pain it is a fairly easy surgery! Just make sure your surgeon is experienced.

Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
(female)

dulcina32 HB User
Wink Re: Synovial Cyst info

[quote=rpm12;4672015]hello there all.

I have been diagnosed with a synovial cyst at l5. I have a good ortho surgeon, i feel. He found the cyst on a mri, when the radiologist did not see it. I am having another mri tomorrow to get a better picture of it. The first one was open, this is closed.

My question. I am having pain down both legs. The pain seems to start at the butt area, goes down the back of my thighs, then stops on the right leg, but on the left continues down the side of my calf and to my ankle. The worst pain is in the back of my thighs and my ankle. To me it's obvious nerve pain, shooting, burning and vibrating. My doctor is concerned the pain is in both legs, and is wondering if there might be something else going on. So he will be having me have an injection to see if it helps the pain. If he determines the cyst is the total of the problem i will be having a microdisectomy. The rest of my back is good other than slight scoliosis.

Has anyone had pain in both legs from a cyst? Doc said it can even be caused by one leg giving the other the message to hurt. But he feels the bilateral leg pain is unusual for the cysts.

If it's not the cyst causing both leg pain, any direction to what else it might be? Can anything other than sciatica of some sort cause those type of symptoms? I have no pain in my feet at all, and they tested my feet for neuropathy, none, nor do i have any problems with the circulation in my legs.

Thank you so much for any help you may give. I have learned so much already from these boards.[/quote]

i know what ur going through .. After 8 years of searching for answers i just found what my issues r ... They found 2 cyst in my lower back that causes pain in my left leg.. Although i also have pressure in my pelvic area as well.. I have the same pain that u explained.. They want to do a myelogram to get a better look.. They seen in my mri that the cyst r pressing on the nerves that r leading into my left leg causing my left leg to have a low pulse in it.. Sound like u dont it lol.. Im still waiting to hear more answers after my test tomarrow... I am scared to death cause ive never had nothing stuck in my back before..ill keep u posted on what they find after my test i have to go through.. Good luck

DULCINA

Closed Thread