HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Back & Neck Pain for 3 Months (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/835425-back-neck-pain-3-months.html)

rxgt 02-11-2011 10:27 PM

Back & Neck Pain for 3 Months

I have been having bad upper back, trap and neck pain for over 3 months now. I dident do anything to cause an injury just woke up one morning with the problem. I initially changed my pillow 4 times thinking it could be the issue, i have changed beds 3 time also so i doubt it is this.

Some days are worse then others but to explain the trouble area it seems to stem on each side of the spine from the middle of my back up to the top of the neck and across the traps and shoulder blades.... I thought it might be a trouble muscle and in the hope of trying to repair it i consumed a LOT of protein (much higher then i would normally have) every day for a week and it made the problem go from 100% down to 20% but as soon as i went back to my normal diet the pain come back within 2 days.

If i try to exercise or do anything remotely strenuous i really feel it that night and the next day... i talked to my doctor and he was less then helpful just insisting it will go away (that was over 2 months ago).

Does anyone know what this could be and how i can fix it ??? im hoping that any fix will not just be temporary i would really like this fixed especially considering the fact im only 26 yrs old.

twohands 02-11-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Back & Neck Pain for 3 Months

If it's been 3 months, it's time for a cervical MRI to see if there's any damage inside your spine causing your pain.

Go back to your doctor and tell him the pain still isn't better, and ask for an MRI.

Doctors often see people with back and neck pain, and will often send patients away saying you should get better, especially when you're young. It's only those who return later and aren't better who get the next round of tests/treatments.

Baybreeze 02-12-2011 08:28 PM

You sound like me a little bit in regards to pillows & beds. When my low back first started bothering me (I had never had back pain before and was very active & went to the gym every other day, etc..) I couldn not understand for the life of me why it was hurting. I used to think I got a draft or something (LOL) among other things, thought maybe I overdid a workout (I cut down but things didn't improve), I ended up buying 2 different new mattresses which did nothing, and probably about 10 different pillows of all shapes & sizes. Nothing helped my back pain. I cannot say what is causing your upper back pain, only a doctor can help with that. But mine had gotten worse & worse over time and eventually went up my spine. I ended up having a lot of spine conditions that ended up needing surgery.

It is true that the majority of people who go to docs with back pain end up getting better within a few weeks or months. But if you are finding no changes to your pain or it's just getting worse over 3 months, then you probably need x-rays and an MRI. It could be just a muscle problem, but it could also be other things, such as problems in your cervical spine. If the current doc just blows you off again, then go to a different doctor. Make sure you tell them how long it's been going on, what, if anything, makes it feel better (Like different positions), what makes it worse, etc. In the mean time, you might want to try taking some Tylenol or Ibuprofen and alternating heat and ice over the area.

rxgt 02-12-2011 09:16 PM

What i cant seem to understand for the life of me is WHY it gets a bit better when i consume a very high amount of Protein the day before but the moment i stop doing so the next day the pain starts to come back... I thought i could some how have a pinched nerve or something but protein wont fix that and if the protein is repairing the muscle then why does it come back when i go back to a normal diet even without doing anything strenuous.

Baybreeze 02-13-2011 08:45 AM

I'm not a doctor or any sort of medical professional, but it makes no sense to me about eating protein. Did you mention that to your doctor?