It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

RedHedGurl HB User
Severe tailbone pain...

I have not posted on here in YEARS so please pardon me if this has already been discussed.

For the last two days I have been experiencing a pain in my tailbone area. The area is swollen and there is a knot there. It is located right where my butt cheeks meet together. I don't remember hitting anything or falling or hurting myself in any way that would cause this. There is no bruising...it's just a little red and swollen. I did a google search for "swollen tailbone" and keep coming across something called a pilonidal cyst. My symptoms almost match that of a cyst, however, it does not feel like there is fluid in there. It doesn't look like there's a "head" on it that will pop and leak or anything like that. I'm wondering if it could be anything else. The pilonidal cysts are something that form around ingrown hairs...but I'm not especially hairy in that area so...I don't know. It's becoming quite a nuisance and it really does hurt like a SOB if I don't sit the right way or lay the right way.

Will icing it or heating it help with the pain or swelling? I have to wait to see a doctor until next week. Any advice until then is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User
Re: Severe tailbone pain...

Ugh. I've had those cysts twice when I was much younger. There was nothing really visible on the outside & only one popped on its own. The first did, but not until after a week or so of absolute agony! The 2d, I didn't mess with, I had the doctor drain it right away.

Hopefully, you don't have anything that yucky & painful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

It's probably best to wait for the doctor to give you a definite diagnosis as we can guess, but really can't tell you for sure what it is.

It's possible it's a cyst, or it could also be an abcess which is in the early stages and therefore hasn't formed a head yet. It doesn't sound to me like it's a problem with the actual tailbone, but you never know. It could also be a bruise.

Icing it may help with the pain, but heat will help if it's an abcess, so you could try alternating between the two.

If it is an abcess it will eventually develop a head. If this happens, be sure when it does pop that you clean the area really good with a strong anticeptic and put something like Neosporin on it. Otherwise, the infection could spread and you could end up with more nasty abcesses in the same area.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
(female)

RedHedGurl HB User

Thanks for your replies.

I just took a better look at my issue and I have to take back what i said...it's actually starting to feel a little bit like a blister, the entire area is swollen and it's getting harder to walk around with it. I don't think it's "ready" to be drained if that's what needs to happen. This pain is really starting to be bothersome. All the research I have done on pilonidal cysts is not making me happy AT ALL! I really don't want any kind of surgery but right now, please, someone cut this thing out of me. I want it GONE!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

RedHedGurl HB User

FYI: went to the ER at 4am this morning. I just couldn't stand the pain anymore.

Doc took one look and said it's a pilonidal cyst. Minutes later he gave me some drugs and proceeded to cut it open so he could drain it . Probably the worst 2 minutes of my life. I already feels tons better though. Doc says I'll need surgery to prevent it from coming back.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Wow! I bet that was painful.

I'm glad you went in and that the doctor was able to do something to get your pain level down. Sorry to hear you'll need surgery soon, but I'm sure it will be a much easier recovery than if it were back surgery.

Thanks for letting us know what happened, and take care!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

[QUOTE=RedHedGurl;4683890]FYI: went to the ER at 4am this morning. I just couldn't stand the pain anymore.

Doc took one look and said it's a pilonidal cyst. Minutes later he gave me some drugs and proceeded to cut it open so he could drain it . Probably the worst 2 minutes of my life. I already feels tons better though. Doc says I'll need surgery to prevent it from coming back.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Boy, do I ever relate. My first time with this, my parents should have taken me to the ER but they refused to even take me to the doctor, preferring that I just tough it out. But that's an issue for a whole other board.

By the second one, I was over 18 & got myself to the doctor before it got really unbearable so he could open & drain it.

I so remember the agony.

I am sorry you had to go thru this, but as painful as it is right now, I would take some comfort that what you feel now is healing pain rather than the unrelenting agony of an ever increasing pressure.

I hope you are resting comfortably now. My heart goes out to you, I really have been there, done that & the experience is seared into my brain.

I often wondered if I was being a big baby about the 2d one--rushing to the doctor at the first sign the beast was growing back. You just confirmed I was not!

I never did have any surgery to correct the anatomy of the whole thing. Maybe I should have since I've had low back issues ever since. I don't know if they're related.

Keep me posted, please. And I am glad to hear this one was treated properly.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
(female)

RedHedGurl HB User

FYI again: Had an appointment with an actual surgeon and he said if the problem is not reoccurring than surgery is not an option for me. He says the older I get the less chance I have of it reoccurring and I'm not exactly hairy back there so...less chance because of that too.

So YAY for no surgery! Hopefully I never deal with this again. I'm already healing up nicely.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
(female)

I had one more after the first one, that was like 30 yrs ago. I never had surgery & it's never returned.

Closed Thread