It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
(female)

xmasfall HB User
recovery from L1 fracture

hi there

i fractured my L1 10 weeks ago and from 1st march was told to wean myself from the TLSO brace i have been wearing all the time except when in bed. i have had very little pain throughout so am quite concerned to find that i now have some twinges - nothing excruciating but more than usual. my question is whether this is normal (as i guess there are muscles which haven't been used in a while) or maybe i need to be extra careful with what i do. i haven't been given any guidance by the doctor so i'm basically taking the brace off for a few hours each day to start with, an hour at a time. i'm not driving but i am increasing my activity levels as i have much more energy. i have a toddler who is constantly clambouring over me (!) but this has always been the case and i don't carry her. i have taken her out in her buggy this week, which i may need to stop.

does anyone have any advice? i rang the hospital and spoke to a physio but he said that he couldn't give me advice as this was individual and needs to come from the doctor - he said i had no chance to talk to the doctor as he wouldn't even talk to him!

thankyou for any suggestions

Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
(male)

steve98664 HB User
Re: recovery from L1 fracture

Hello, I have a L1 burst, now fused to above and below. I am 22 days out from my surgery. I recovered quick and was walking 4 days after surgery, discharged from the rehab wing 7 days after surgery because I was walking unrestricted with no devices. My first outpatient PT is tomorrow. I have been noting as time goes by my pain seems to be slowly increasing. I was on one very low dose pain pill a day (night) and I am taking 2 at 4 hour intervals to sleep now, plus one during the day. My up day is about 15 hours and I am flat on my back about every 4 hours for 1 hour of rest, no TSLO brace in bed. I am up once at night to get a pain pill and hit the bathroom. I am having the painful 'zingers' now moving in certain positions. I tend to roll one way only now to avoid a consistent zinger. I was concerned that I am just not taking as much care as at first, but I think your comment that maybe I am using more muscles or something is causing these pain twangs at times. I am glad to hear what the future holds, no TSLO a bit at a time. I was in for a visit at the surgeons office and they had me take of my brace for a standing xray and for the doctor to examine me. I needed the doctor to tell me it was ok before I would do it. I have felt like a bag of bones held together by my brace. I am hoping the glued bone and the metal holds everything together. Looking at xrays of all the metal is difficult.

Best of luck as you move away from your brace. Don't be tempted to lap sit or pick up your child until you are ready. I know it would be a temptation for me. Our girls are older so no worries there but our rambunctious family pet is ready to romp and jump all over me constantly.

Bottom line from my doctor and PT while in the hospital was that let pain be your guide for any activities. If I start to feel pain, stop doing it. I have no other guidance....

Last edited by steve98664; 03-30-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

xmasfall HB User

hi steve

i'm now a year on from being TLSO brace-free - i can totally relate to your feeling of being a bag of bones held together by the brace but, for me, once i started to actually walk around, drive etc that all disappeared. it was fairly impossible for me to avoid lifting or cuddling my little girl for very long after the brace was off - she detested the brace and just couldn't understand why i couldn't hold her once it was out of the way ... but i just was as careful as possible with bending and lifting properly and actually i think that in moderation it was part of my recovery as those muscles needed the exercise and challenge in order to strengthen up.

i still have a kind of ache when i bend to do something on the floor but apart from that i've been fine. physio-led pilates classes have been very helpful for me and if there are any of these locally i'd definitely recommend you look into them - don't just go to a regular class though, you need a properly qualified physio to modify the exercises for you to ensure you're being safe.

wishing you all the best with your recovery

shauna

Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
(male)

steve98664 HB User

Thanks Shauna!

You have given me a look down the road!

Steve

Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I had a one-level fusion, no brace. My general precautions no BLT -- bend, lift, or twist. My weight restriction is still 15 pounds, at almost four months. While many doctors tell you to "let pain be your guide" the pain often kicks in after you've overdone things, so this guideline is not much help.

I don't have any experience with this, so the following is based on what I know about resuming exercise: If you are currently taking off the brace for a shower, for example, try taking off the brace for the same amount of time (20 minutes?) twice a day. After three days, increase either the amount of time (maybe by 10 minutes) or the number of times you take if off. The idea is to wean yourself off, not to force your body out of the brace as fast as possible. If you overdo it, you won't know until it's too late.

I did an on-line search to see if anyone with specific experience had any comments. Some folks who have weaned still wear their braces when doing strenuous activities (cleaning) or while driving/sitting for a prolonged time. If you can sleep without the brace, this seems to help the weaning process and be an easier time to take off the brace.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
steve98664 (03-31-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
(male)

jack albert HB User

[QUOTE=xmasfall;4699333]hi there

i fractured my L1 10 weeks ago and from 1st march was told to wean myself from the TLSO brace i have been wearing all the time except when in bed. i have had very little pain throughout so am quite concerned to find that i now have some twinges - nothing excruciating but more than usual. my question is whether this is normal (as i guess there are muscles which haven't been used in a while) or maybe i need to be extra careful with what i do. i haven't been given any guidance by the doctor so i'm basically taking the brace off for a few hours each day to start with, an hour at a time. i'm not driving but i am increasing my activity levels as i have much more energy. i have a toddler who is constantly clambouring over me (!) but this has always been the case and i don't carry her. i have taken her out in her buggy this week, which i may need to stop.

does anyone have any advice? i rang the hospital and spoke to a physio but he said that he couldn't give me advice as this was individual and needs to come from the doctor - he said i had no chance to talk to the doctor as he wouldn't even talk to him!

thankyou for any suggestions[/QUOTE]

Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
(male)

jack albert HB User

Hi
I also fractured my L1 last March 28,2012 and I wore a brace for 90 days and felt great except the stiffness from wearing the brace but I was OK I had to weed off the Meds and as time went by I had no pain. But now that I'm not taking any pain meds I have been in pain. So I went I got a MRI becauce of the tigging on the side of my leg which has turned out to be a pinch nevre so now Im waiting the doctor to take care of this.
The worst is over for you go and have a nevre test and see if that a problem. This has been a nite mare and now I feel their's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck hope this works for you.

Last edited by jack albert; 08-21-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
(male)

steve98664 HB User

Well I weened out of my brace some time ago. I also stopped the pain pills. For the past 6 or 8 weeks, I have had lower back pain below the site of my back injury/repair. PT indicated the lower back pain is not related but that it came from the inactivity while I wore the brace. I am not going to PT. They told me I leveled off on the benefit from it.

Now, I am still having lower back pain which is caused by muscle clenching/cramps. It is severe pain at the end of the work day. At times it sounded like bones were grinding! Anyhow, the med pros said it is not part of my back injury so I had to do something. I started taking Otc herbal pain meds I got at the local health store and online at amazon. These are totally controlling the cramping and pain but they are a big crutch.

Is lower back pain common with a mid back break 6 months into recovery? Does the pain from cramping go away eventually? I feel the injury site has dull pain infrequently but the lower back muscle cramping and resultant pain has me confused. If not taking herbal pain relievers, I would be ok from 6 am till about 11 am daily then cramping would set in and just escalate till I can lay down around 5-6pm.

I have 2 friends at work with recovered back breaks. One said it takes 2 years to get over chronic back pain related to injury recovery. He has a harms cage... The other guy had multiple surgerys and he still has pain.

Last edited by steve98664; 08-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi there -- glad to see you had some period of relief. I can't imagine that your back issues are entirely unrelated. Since it seems that you are having incredible lower back pain, I would go back to the doctor you were seeing for the spine fracture, as long as you felt comfortable with him/her. PT, in the US at least, is not qualified to make a diagnosis. The PT should be making reports back to the doctor, which might say things like: Patient appears to be experiencing unrelated lower back pain. However, the doctor should be making the diagnosis.

Your pain sounds like it's coming from muscle spasms, to me, but maybe that's because my most severe lower back pain comes from spasms Spasms are a sign that the body is guarding an injury. I would recommend icing regularly (15 minutes per hour, no direct ice-skin contact), and making an appointment with the doctor.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
(male)

steve98664 HB User

Thanks! I am seeing my surgeon next week. I will ask him if we can look into it further or if he can take a closer look at my tailbone area since all of the focus has been the known injury at my L1 break.

With a L2-T12 fusion, I was curious if anyone else has lower back pain as a result of a break then fusion. All I can think of is that the fixed angle and stiffness of the fusion would possibly put more stress on something lower down, causing pain.

When I fell, I landed in the sitting position on concrete so it might make sense that something was possibly broken or damaged in my tailbone area.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I was going to write something else, but luckily I read to the end of your post before beginning. Falling on your tailbone, assuming you didn't fracture it, can create a situation called coccydynia. It is really a collection of symptoms that can be caused by different things, rather than one particular "problem."

There is a medical doctor that goes by the name of tailbonedoctor that has a website that may provide you with some useful information about coccyx pain.

Even if you haven't fractured your tailbone, falling and landing on it can cause pain that can go on for months and months. This may be what you are dealing with.

Otherwise, it is entirely probable that due to the fusion your structural alignment is somewhat off or you may have been compensating for pain by favoring one side. This can lead to a change in gait, change in the way you are holding yourself upright, etc....

If your surgeon does not think that coccydynia is the likely source of your pain, I would suggest you pursue the structural misalignment angle with someone who does orthopedic bodywork, or something similar.

Closed Thread