It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
(female)

Princesse HB User
Question Water retention after surgery (microdissectomy)

I have been experiencing a few side effects after a recent L5-S1 microdissectomy, one of them being water retention.
I have water retention in my thighs and belly. The areas feel tight to the touch and my skin can look blotchy at times.
I have not noticed swelling in any other areas, except around the incision and it's of a different nature.

Has anyone experienced swelling after a surgery?? What did you do to lower the 'swelling'?

I am currently limiting my salt intake and drinking lots of water... But what else can I do? And when do I need to see a MD?

Thank you for your replies!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: Water retention after surgery (microdissectomy)

I have been experiencing swelling in my right foot, ankle, and calf since my surgery in October. My surgeon is baffled as to why as is my MD. I wish I had answers for you. Try wearing support socks and see if that is helpful. If you do find any answers, I would sure appreciate hearing back from you.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Princesse HB User
Post Re: Water retention after surgery (microdissectomy)

Thank you for your reply matluver.

Unfortunately, since the swelling is in my upper thighs and belly, I'm not sure how well support socks would work for me.
I contacted my MD and should hear from her soon. I'm hoping she'll agree to a phone sonsult since I cannot leave the house and ride in a car for another week... I will definitely share the information she provides.

From what I read, all I found was that this does happen to many people and it should go away within 1-3 months. But I'm still worried since all the info I could find talks about water retention in the feet and calves like you're experiencing.

I do hope other people have informtion to share about this phenomenon!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Water retention after surgery (microdissectomy)

I had problems with this for several months after one of my surgeries. It was mostly noticeable in just one of my legs, but not the other for whatever reason. It did eventually get better as I was able to move around more.

A large part of how our lymphatic system works, especially in our legs, is that our muscles contract to squeeze out the fluid from our tissues. When our muscles aren't being used as much, the fluid gets retained in our tissues.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Princesse (03-15-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

Backtogood HB User
Smile Re: Water retention after surgery (microdissectomy)

Hi I too have had a microdissectomy last August 2010 and still suffer with what I think is water retention. It sits just above my bottom and next to the scar. Sometimes it's worse than others. I find that doctors can be very dismissive or don't really understand and seeing a professional takes referrals, which I won't get. I'm still getting used to being able to do stuff and I find the mental barrier as every ache or pain in my legs or back worries me.

The good news is if you do take it steady and take the 3 months to recover you will be amazed how much easier it is to move and be able to stand without discomfort.

I'm pleased to find others that are going through the same thing. Please reply because unless you've experienced it no one can understand the pain and what it does mentally.

Take care and hope to receive a reply soon

Closed Thread