It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

Berlusconi HB User
Thrown out back?

lright, so it's Monday and I'm still suffering some pretty severe pain in my back.

Friday was really nice, so I decided to go out with my brother and ride for the day. I was showing him the basics of BMX by the town courthouse. Anyway, I did a 360 off of a small set of stairs and I seemed to have injured my back when I did it. I didn't crash either, I landed fine. When I landed and bent my knees down to absorb the shock, that's when I felt the pain in my back. After a few minutes I didn't notice, so I did it a few more times. It got worse and worse as the night went on.

About 6:00 that night I wasn't able to walk without experiencing excruciating pain. I got up from my chair and tried to walk to the kitchen. About halfway there I ended up hanging over the bar trying to call for my mom for help.

My mom gave me some "all natural" muscle relaxers to help stop what she called spasms. I guess she thinks that I threw my back out. (Which could be a lot of things)

I tried taking a bath that night to ease the pain a bit, but it didn't go so well. I couldn't get out of the tub for about 2 hours. I gave up trying halfway through to try and relax a bit. After the first hour and a half it began to irritate me. I felt like I was 75 years old.

That night was absolutely horrific. The worse pain I've ever experienced. I try explaining it to people, but no one seems to understand.

I'm not in anywhere near as much pain as I was before, but I'm still pretty stiff in the back and have difficulty doing anything. My back is a bit worse today than it was yesterday, which is what ultimately worries me.

Going to the doctor really isn't much of an option. My mom thinks that most of the pain is in my head and refuses to take me. I can't take myself, I just had to sell my car to take care of some bills. :l

Any tips?

TL;DR, threw my back out, still hurts, worried about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Thrown out back?

[COLOR="Navy"]It sounds like you probably jammed the bottom of your spine/tailbone when you landed the first time. Then you compounded the problem by doing again ..and again. I'm not a physician, but my bet is that you have slipped a disc or ruptured one. The pain is caused because you have a nerve that is being comprimised.

You need to get into a doctor and get an MRI. You gp may want to start with just xrays, but you need to get this seen to. If your Mom won't take you, try using some of the heat patches where it hurst. You can get them at a drug store. Take some aleve-it has a muscle relaxer in it. walk carefully, no bike riding, no lifting. You need to let this heal. But you really should get into a doctor...You didn't say how old you are, but you only have one back for your life.....[/COLOR]

The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
Berlusconi (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
(male)

Berlusconi HB User

Thanks for your input.

I've been wearing heat pads for a few hours a day and have been taking some muscle relaxers along side with Ibuprofen.

I want to correct my post earlier, I am absolutely certain that the initial injury happened when I twisted my back. The stairs were very small and there was almost no shock released into my back from the 360. I remember twisting a lot harder that time to try and stick the spin perfectly this time.

I'm feeling MUCH better today. I'm not too worried that it's anything serious. I can walk fine, but anything that involves bending over or sitting up is fairly painful. If it doesn't subside in a few days I will get a friend to take me. I have plenty of cash on hand from selling my car and I have insurance.

Also, I'm 19 years old.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

I second that you need to be seen by a doctor. Back pain problems often subside for a bit only to come back a short time later.

I don't care if you're only 19 - you're still able to hurt your back very seriously at that age.

You may want to try alternating the heat with ice - a frozen bag of peas wrapped in a towel works great. 20 minutes several times per day. Ice reduces inflamation which is often what causes the pain. You can also stop the heat for a couple of days and try ice only. See what works best for you and gives you the most relief.

Do you only have pain in your low back or do you also have any pain traveling down one or both legs?

Again, I still think you need to be seen by a doctor and get an MRI. I truly hope you do get better quickly, but risking the health of your back by not seeing a doctor right now isn't worth it or you may feel like a 75 year old the rest of your life. There are a number of posters on here who are in their teens and 20's who can back this up.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Berlusconi (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
(male)

Berlusconi HB User

I was just posting my age because someone ask, not because I think that being younger makes any difference.

I know that my muscles in my lower back are underdeveloped because I am a BMX rider.

I did have pain in my left leg the first day into this.

What worries me the most is that yesterday when I sat up I could taste blood and my legs would feel like they were falling asleep. That could be related to sitting in a chair for hours on end, but it definitely scared me. (Most likely because I head the aorta mentioned once or twice.)

I'll talk to my mom about seeing a doctor this week. You guys aren't making me feel any better about my back, but I understand where you're coming from. I'll definitely do what I can to get into the doctors as soon as I can.

I have plans to go to the movies this Thursday. Would it be okay for me to get out and walk around, etc?

Thanks.

Last edited by Berlusconi; 03-15-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Berlusconi,

I'm glad to hear you'll be seeing a doctor soon. Be sure to mention that you had pain down your leg at first after this happened, and that your legs have gone numb on you after sitting for a while.

Sorry we're not making you feel better - we're just trying to help you understand there's a possibility this is a serious situation that needs medical attention to prevent you from getting worse yet.

I sincerely hope you just had muscle/ligament problems causing your back pain which will get better soon, but the pain down your legs and legs going numb indicate there is a possibility of something more serious.

It's hard to say what is causing you tasting the blood, but be sure to also mention that to the doctor, and it would be good to get into a doctor ASAP as there may be a bleeding problem in your stomach or somewhere else.

Regarding your back, it's possible your doctor will just order physical therapy and give you some medications, and if that happens go ahead and do these, but if it's not completely better within a month be sure to go back to your doctor and insist on an MRI which would show if you have a herniated disc in your back or spinal instability caused by the accident.

Regarding going to the movies and walking around, there's a spiney rule of thumb that if it hurts, don't do it. So if you can tolerate it and it doesn't cause bad pain, go ahead. However, you should avoid bending/twisting/lifting or and impact activities like jogging or other activities would would cause an impact on your spine.

Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Berlusconi (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
(male)

Berlusconi HB User

Alright, I've talked to my mom and she said that we can go over the weekend under the circumstance that I'm still in pain. I am definitely taking it easy. I've been resting in bed with movies for the past few days. The medication has allowed me to sleep for 12+ hours, which I don't really like, but it seems to be helping.

I greatly appreciate everyones input!

My VERY LAST questions is, is sitting in an ergonomic computer chair okay? I spend the majority of my time blogging and gaming.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Be sure to get up and walk around at least once per hour, and if you have any pain be sure to take more time away from it. Sitting for hours on end, even in an ergonomic chair, isn't good for anyone's back.

Closed Thread