It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User
Piriformis syndrome

Well, that explains a lot. My PT found this yesterday, none of the doctors had ever mentioned it. She said my piriformis muscle was extremely tight but the good news is that stretching can really help.

At last I get why I can't stand to sit for more than a few mins, why my left hip has caused me so much misery over the years & why I walk tilted slightly to the right.

I've had sciatic pain from my left hip for decades. Of course, added to everything else wrong with my spine, it's not exactly happy news but at least it clarifies some of my symptoms.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Piriformis syndrome

Hi Sassy,

Didn't we talk about this in one of your other threads? It runs glove in hand with SI issues.

I can tell you from experience it can be really difficult to get rid of....I have not found a permanent solution. Stretching only goes so far, at least for me. And the reason I get piriformis problems is due to a hypermobile left SI joint. When it gets stuck or goes out, or whatever it does, it causes the piriformis to become taut, and then it pulls on the attachment site over by the hip. When I go to my guy who rearranges me, all is good...until the SI slips or moves again.

Did your PT tell you that in some people, the sciatic nerve actually runs through the piriformis muscle?? If you happen to be one of them, you can see how any inflammation in the muscle will cause an increase in sciatic pain.

Last edited by teteri66; 03-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

tryn2coupe HB User
Red face Re: Piriformis syndrome

reading every1s story's brings tears to my eyes i've been dealing with piriformis for almost2yrs now my dr says theres nothing wrong cause all the mri's ect.came back normal..i myself did so much research that i figured it out on my own n now the dr hates to admit he had no clue n was wrong...ive done everything from pills to stretches ect..what more can i do!!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
(male)

crashdummie HB User

I believe I have the same thing. My right piriformis is rediculously tight all the time. When I sit on something hard, like in a hot tub, I can feel the thickness of plumbness of the right piriformus when moving back and forth and the large bump that is felt when my "sitting bone" rolls across it. My left SI is similar to tetonteri66, where it's hypermobility or another reason (there's many!) cause it to not function properly and it gets "stuck".

I've had lots of physio's tell me that my left SI is not working and therefore the right hip has to take up the extra forces, which make this side (the unaffected SI joint side) to get very sore and tight. So the trick is for myself, is to figure of what is causing my left SI joint dysfuction and there are many reasons that can cause SI jont dysfuction. I don't get scatia pains, so I'm lucky not to have any part of the sciatic nerve running through my piriformus muscle.

Basically the reason, I think, for SI jont dysfuction is a loosening of the pelvic girdle. Many physio's can see the problem but to fix the problem, that's the real battle. I get some pretty wicked pops coming from my left SI sometimes. It's so funny when I tell this to phyio's, and their reply is, "Oh, that's just a muscle or tendon snapping arcoss a bony node." And then I will reply, "NO it's my freakin SI joint that's loose."

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
(male)

crashdummie HB User

Do you guys put heel lifts in the shoe of the leg that feels short? My left leg feels short so I put about a 1cm lift in that shoes. Is this a bad idea for SI joint dysfuction?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would think that it would depend on whether one leg is ACTUALLY shorter in length (it has been measured and you know for sure this is the case) or whether it is perceived to be shorter by virtue of something a therapist has told you. Often when there is rotation in the pelvis, it may appear that the leg is shorter. It might be that you need orthotics in both shoes, if the problem is caused by something like foot pronation, or something similar.

Again, the only thing I know of that helps the laxity of ligaments is prolotherapy. Strengthening surrounding muscles may help, but it will not resolve the lack of stretching and rebounding abilities of ligaments.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

crashdummie HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4781550]I would think that it would depend on whether one leg is ACTUALLY shorter in length (it has been measured and you know for sure this is the case) or whether it is perceived to be shorter by virtue of something a therapist has told you. Often when there is rotation in the pelvis, it may appear that the leg is shorter. It might be that you need orthotics in both shoes, if the problem is caused by something like foot pronation, or something similar.

Again, the only thing I know of that helps the laxity of ligaments is prolotherapy. Strengthening surrounding muscles may help, but it will not resolve the lack of stretching and rebounding abilities of ligaments.[/QUOTE]

So if you had an anatomically short leg leg then one should use a lift? And if the leg is functionally shorter then one should not use a lift?

Because I'm thinking that adding a lift to a functionally short limb may increase dysfunction and not help. How and why I have no idea. But my lift has seem to help, I think. I believe I have a functionally short leg, as do 98% of the people with SI joint dysfunction.

Last edited by crashdummie; 06-19-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't really know the answer to that. The people I know who were told to wear a lift in one shoe, were told one leg was shorter than the other -- but I don't know if that is factually true or if it was an assumption on the part of the therapist, based on the patient's symptoms and a quick analysis of structural alignment.

I have been told that one leg was shorter than the other and other PTs have told me my pelvis was rotated. Only one ever actually measured my legs.

I would think if one leg appears shorter due to misalignment, it would be much better to correct the imbalances than to stuff a lift in a shoe...but ultimately, maybe it makes no difference.

Last edited by teteri66; 06-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
(female)

chibi8 HB User

I think I have piriformis syndrome too, I have scoliosis and ALWAYS Im always bending my left leg. So my right leg carries mos of the weight.

It is horrible horrible pain.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
(male)

crashdummie HB User

[QUOTE=chibi8;4781831]I think I have piriformis syndrome too, I have scoliosis and ALWAYS Im always bending my left leg. So my right leg carries mos of the weight.

It is horrible horrible pain.[/QUOTE]

Is it functional scoliosis? Or is it genetically inherited scoliosis?

Closed Thread