It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

lindsay0515 HB User
Thumbs up Herniated Disc: Healing Without Surgery

I posted about a month ago regarding a large herniation I had at L4-L5 with significant compression of the L5 nerve root. As a quick overview, the horrible pain started mid-January, got the diagnosis at the beginning of February, saw one spine surgeon who immediately said I needed surgery, I requested PT and started that instead, saw a second spine surgeon (liked him 100% better) who saw no immediate need for surgery and sent me to PT for 6 weeks.

I am now in week 3 of PT and week 3 of acupuncture and things are MUCH better. I went from 12 Advil a day that would only barely take the edge off and almost zero range of motion, to only 6 or 7 Advil a day and weighted exercises. The sciatic pain is still there (and I'm pretty sure my piriformis muscle is causing a lot of that) but very manageable and nowhere near what it was. I'm optimistic that I will be able to make a full recovery!

I just wanted to post and say that sometimes, healing is possible without surgery. I thought there was no way I would make it through the pain, but through PT, acupuncture and one round of oral steroids, I've been able to get my life back and not worry about the pain 24/7. Now, I may need surgery sometime down the road, but I've learned how to be careful with my back and how to gain some flexibility. Always get multiple opinions before considering surgery and believe that it is possible for the body to heal itself!

Hugs to all of the back pain sufferers - it really is the worst pain imaginable. I wish you all the best of luck in your search for relief!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Herniated Disc: Healing Without Surgery

That's wonderful news. I know it is possible as my husband had a similar experience 18 years ago. He ruptured the L5-S1 disc the morning of Christmas eve day. The first several weeks were very painful and difficult, but gradually he was able to recover with the help of physical therapy.

To this day, he maintains his weight, practices good posture and body mechanics and faithfully does his back exercises every single morning...no matter where we are or what is going on in his life. He has been able to avoid additional problems all these years.

I hope you have similar success!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

tam821 HB User

thanks Linds, that is good to know... I was just sitting here thinking what to do myself.

Ive had dull r pain in my low back, I went to chiro and pt , I am in my 3rd week, but I am a bit concerned because the dull pain went away, but now I have a stabbing sharp pain that is in my back, down to the groin and down my leg, also, I got numbness that is spreading down my inner lower leg!

is this normal to feel worse before getting better?

had l4-5 360 titanium disc put in in 1997.

Tam

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Did you know that 20% of people over 60 have herniations and don't even know it. The long term outcome for herniations is about the same with or without surgery. The fact is most people cannot endure the pain for the time it takes to resolve it. The human body is a wonderful machine and healing can take place. Nerves take about 2 years to regenerate. There are cases that require emergency surgery but in most cases the pain will resolve with time.

Last edited by pooby; 04-03-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
(female)

Kazearymir HB User

I'm so glad you've found a surgery free way to manage your herniation!

I wish I was as lucky as you. I tried PT, massage therapy, gym programs, pretty well anything I could think of to avoid surgery, but to no avail after nearly 3 years.

Three cheers for a non-surgical solution!

Last edited by Kazearymir; 04-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Closed Thread