It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(male)

jcallaway904 HB User
Laminectomy recovery

I have been reading a lot on these boards. I am sure that I am no exception.

I began having hip/butt/leg pain almost 5 years ago. It came and went and sometime was very bad. In the last 8 months it got really bad and I had a lot of trouble with daily life. I went to a chiropractor, exercise, and acupuncture. Nothing worked.

It got so bad I had to take off work and use a cane to get around. I went for an MRI and it showed a massive rupture at L5/S1. My doctor recommended a nerve block epidural. I had that done and it helped a little, but still had a good bit of leg pain.

I went back to the doctor one week after the epidural and told him that I still had a lot of pain. Not to mention I was taking flexeril and Oxycodone.

He told me that it would not get any better with another shot so he recommended that I have a laminectomy. He scheduled it for April 4th 2011. It was outpatient.

I went in and had the procedure. Got there at 630 and went home at 1130. Once I woke up ALL the leg pain was GONE!! My foot was not numb and cold anymore either like it was. I got home that day and rested a good bit. I did walk around inside my house and ate a good dinner. I had trouble sitting and it did hurt to lay down at first.

On day two I was able to walk around inside my house a lot better and did not sleep as much. I also took a shower and my wife changed my dressing.

On day three I walked outside about half a mile. I did fine.

One day four I walked a mile and a half and have reduced my meds dramatically.

On day five I drove my kids to school and the leg pain is still gone.

I do have a bit of pain in my back where the incision is and the muscles a a bit sore. My leg pain is completely gone.

I have a followup post op two weeks after my surgery. I fully expect a release to go back to work.

My surgery was a success and I am totally relieved.

I am not a workman's comp case and I do not want to be. I want to get back, grab life by the horns, and do my life the way I want to do my life.

I hope this helps those that are looking to have this done. You have to want to get better and not feed off of others giving you attention for this issue.

Do not push yourself either. Get off the opitates as soon as you can too. All this will push you to a faster recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: Laminectomy recovery

Congratulations on such a good recovery. And thank you for posting this as it will give hope to others who are contemplating such surgery.

I would like to give you a little advise tho. One of the most common things to go wrong after such a surgery is that the patient is doing so well that they over-extend themselves and cause relapse or even a re-herniation. One of the things that worry me is that you are driving. At this point, you aren't healed yet and even the tiniest little fender bender can cause a setback. Lifting, twisting, bending, driving, etc. is somethings that should be avoided until given clearance by your surgeon.

Best of luck....and please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. We get far too few good stories!

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Closed Thread