It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Doing Epidural injection needs to rest remainder of the day?

My Pain management doctor said he may do Epidural to me on Tuesday when I saw him last time. He asked me to do a new MRI and said will do something after looking at the MRIís report and CD.
I like to know if I have to rest for the remainder of the day because this time my wife canít drive the car and send me back to home. I donít know if I can take rest about half or one hour at clinic after injection then drive by myself. Donít know if this will effect the injectionís efficiency or not. I had done four times Epidural during 2008-2009, I remember there was one time I drove car by myself back to my work place.The reason I didn't take off at that day because it is said I will feel the Epiduralís efficiency immediately or just no feeling, I didnít feel any different at that day so I went back to work ( my job is a light active job)

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User
Re: Doing Epidural injection needs to rest remainder of the day?

I think this is something you should ask your doctor about.

I'm getting an epi soon myself & plan to take the day off. I will find out from my doctor exactly how long to try to minimize my activity levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

First of all, do you have "twilight sedation" with the injection? If so, you will need someone to drive you.

Most doctors will tell you to lay low the rest of the day and then you can resume "normal" activity the following day.

When I first started having injections, I had "twilight sedation." Then I switched doctors and the new one didn't believe in it, so I no longer needed a driver, and it was much more convenient. But I would just drive myself straight home and head for a supine position.

I have never been told the following by my crew of spine docs. but it makes sense to me. A friend who is a very sensible chiropractor and married to a man who has all sorts of spinal issues told me that if at all possible, to limit all activities after an ESI for at least 48 hours and 72 if at all possible. She was told this by her husband's doctors at the Mayo Clinic for the following reason: unlike an injection into the knee or shoulder or some other joint, the injections we get into the lumbar spine are usually placed "near" the area that is injured. The steroid does not get injected into a confined space. It is floated in adjacent to a disk, etc. If the patient is active afterward, the heart pumps harder, the blood flows faster, and the tissues are more active than if we go home and lie down to rest. This causes the medication to dissipate more quickly and to a much larger area, than if we remain more quiet.

So I always figured, since I wanted to give the injection the "best" opportunity to do its intended work, I would just go home and be a couch potato for a couple days. But, as I said, this is not something you will hear from "most" docs. My neighbor is a pain management doc. and I asked him his opinion -- he said he'd never really thought about it before, but he thought it made sense...so, I pass this tip along, for what it's worth.

Oh, I just remembered, when I switched doctors, the one who didn't believe in twilight sedation insisted that his patients rest for 48 hours after an injection. But I know the common time frame is " the rest of the day...resuming normal activities the following morning."

Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

I've read similar advice on a board somewhere or other about taking 3 days of downtime. I suspect it's just too impractical for most patients, but it does make sense. If you move, the medicine is going to move,

My doc does do sedation, I definitely am signing myself up for that!

I doubt that I could seriously chill for much more than a day. I do plan to ask for clarification as to whether "normal activities" really means "normal" as in my normal exercise routine.

I agree, I want to get any possible benefit from this.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

QHShowoman HB User

I've had several epidural injections in my back and I had to wait 30 minutes in the waiting room to make sure I didn't have any bad side effects and then I was free to leave. I drove myself each time.

Each time following my epidural, I returned straight to work (desk job) with no issues and even worked out pretty rigorously in the evening (after having an epidural first thing in the morning). I was given a local anesthetic and was not sedated, which is why I was able to resume normal activity almost immediately.

But, I think it really depends on where your injection is, what they inject into you and whether or not you have any sedation. Your doctor will advise you as to what is best.

I just wanted to present my experience as a possible outcome. I didn't think the injections were any sort of big deal, they weren't especially painful (I felt pressure, but not pain, as they were being administered), and I didn't have any sort of side effects or reactions. But, I know others who had the complete opposite experience.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sassy ~ Most doctors do not want you working out after the injection. Most want their patients taking it easy for the rest of the day and then they may go back to work the following day...but nothing strenuous for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Usually patients that need steroid injections are in sufficient pain that they aren't contemplating working out or going to the gym or pool, or whatever. What is your normal exercise routine now?

And to efang: I've never heard a doctor say you would know immediately if the injection would have any effect or not...unless he was talking about a numbing agent like they use for a nerve block. Then you know almost instantly...but I don't believe that's what you are talking about.

If they are injecting a steroid, it can take several days for you to know if it is affecting any results, particularly if the problem is one of swelling. Off hand, I can't think of anyone I know who walked out of the office and felt an immediate positive result.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
(female)

Teri,

I have a pretty elaborate pool workout going now. I do the stretches that PT gave me, jog with a water jogging belt (some backwards work as well to get those muscles going) & jumping jacks. Then I switch to a noodle, which I sit on & ride like bicycle.

I also do treadmill, tho less often as I find the pain in my legs gets worse. I just read Dr Bob Arnot's book & he has me convinced I have to get different shoes to keep from damaging my joints more.

My kindle is over flowing with books about back problems & pain management & the one thing that they are all 100% in agreement on is that the best thing we can do for ourselves is exercise.

Pain doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing damage. That's something to address with your doc and/or PT. My fear is losing more function if I quit moving .

There are few topics about which the experts are in 100% agreement, but the critical need for us to exercise is one.

I think a salt water pool is beneficial in more ways than one, I find the salt water seems to draw the pain out for a couple of hours after I work out.

It makes me so sad to read how many back pain sufferers are restricting their activity when that is causing so much more suffering. We absolutely must exercise.

Of course, start with baby steps.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

I did once Epidural injection yesterday without sedation. I didnít feel painful just a little pressure .I asked the doctor if I need to rest . He just said : wait for 30 minutes in waiting room, then you can drive, you can take shower but donít swim. I didnít go straight to back my office , just find a place
To set down , read book and listened my ipod. I find most doctors donít emphasis patient to rest, maybe there are no statistic material can say this point. If eventually the Epidural doesn't help you , who can said it is that because you didn't take rest or it is than Epidural doesn't fit your disease .

Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
(female)

QHShowoman HB User

The doctor's advice to not swim or bathe is not exercise-related ... it's to prevent any sort of infection from occurring at the injection site.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

I did Epidural on May 10, To today is three weeks later.I only can say the Epidural only can help serious pain which I occasionally had been having for 2-3 day when I saw my doctor to do Epidural on May 10, but couldn't help the major chronic pain I have right now. I don't know how I can talk to my doctor tomorrow because he said I may need to do physical therapy if Epidural can't help me last time, I actually already had been doing PT for many time.

Closed Thread