It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

brody4305 HB User
Post-Op L2 L3 L4 L5 Revision Laminectomy and Fusion with instrumentation and B-Graft

Hi everyone I want to thank everyone who helped with answering questions I had before the Surgery.....Well today I am 19 days post-op from L2-L3-L4-L5 Revision Laminectomy & fusion with screws and rods with bone graft....and I am doing Great...My Surgery was on Wed April 27th and took approx 5 hours I woke feeling pretty good of course I had a pain pump...and once back to my room the pain was constant and just nagging as the anesthesia wore off... On Thursday around 3pm they removed my Cathetar...ouch... I got to walk with my Brace and walker it felt good to walk but did hurt and tired me... the next day Friday I also walked with my Nurse... of course I had alot of pain and discomfort but this is expected..Then Friday evening my pain started to elevate to the point where I called my nurse and told her something was wrong I felt hot and was sweating badly...she asked my pain level and I told her it was going off the chart she laughed at me and said you will be OK...what a BIATCH..Well Saturday morning the girl came in to take my blood pressure and temperature which they do every 8 hours and she said OMG...my BP was something like 90/50 and my temp was 103.7 she immediatley called for help and approx 7am the Dr. on call from my Doctors office came in and asked how I was he looked under the bandage and said WOW this is really infected and he said we have to drain and clean immediatley...Well at 9am I went in for Surgery #2 and 2 hours later I woke in recovery feeling good except for Cathetar #2...lol....He romoved all the staples and interior sutures and drained and cleaned he added 2 more drains and closed back up...lucky me..Well I had to stay in the Hospital until Tuesday....Before Surgery I was in pain and discomfort 24/7 with bad lower back pain radiating into my left butt-hip-thigh and lower leg into my toes in which my left foot was always numb and tingly with nasty toe pain...Now I still have the numb foot and toes but NO PAIN in my foot or lower leg I do have pain and numbness in both butt cheeks and some upper thigh pain in both legs but I am pretty sure this is all post nerve pain from the surgery...Plus I have pain from the bone graft...I am walkin about a 1/2 mile a day and increasing every day I do have some bouts with bad pain but usually late afternoon into the evening probably from the days activities...It was tough the 1st week but I am doing pretty good now...I have cut my pain med's down to about 2-3 pills a day...and soon will be done with them..I go today Monday May 16th for my post-op where they will remove my staples and I will have a check up....The toughest thing is you have to just go slow and always think what you are doing...I was wearing my brace the 1st 3 days and it was killing me it was causing alot of pain and swelling so I called my Dr. and his Nurse said I could take the brace off while inside but have to wear when I leave the house and I just have to be careful...NO BLT'S....This helped alot I am feeling alot better now I am very careful and I go slow..I think having a prior 3 level Laminectomy Surgery and a Spinal Cord Stimulator Surgery both in the past 18 months my body was use to the Trauma....So this is helping my recovery.
I wish you all the best of luck and thank all of you who helped me out before the Surgery.

Thanks, Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread