It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User
Re: I need help please! 2 MRI's, something isn't right...

janewhite1 you are so right, My doctor was always sending me to physical therapy ,there they taught me stretches and massages that I could do at home as well, I also bought a siatsu massager to use at home ,I had several MRI'S and XRAYS and I don't remember reading anything on my reports about scar tissue ,but If you find out let me know it would explain some things
Hope everyone has sweet dreams and a pain free night

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
(female)

Chardaba HB User

Thank you Jan and Teton...,

To answer your question Jan, No, my doctor hasn't mentioned the Physical Therapy part, but you can bet, at my next appointment, I will be asking him about it!!

It's nice to know that scar tissue will show up because I am beginning to believe that's where my problem lies.

Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Scar tissue (epidural fibrosis) is a topic that many surgeons do not want to discuss. There is some disagreement over the extent to which it can be the main pain generator. They don't like to acknowledge its existence because there is little to be done if scar tissue is the source of pain after surgery.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
(female)

Chardaba HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4764535]Scar tissue (epidural fibrosis) is a topic that many surgeons do not want to discuss. There is some disagreement over the extent to which it can be the main pain generator. They don't like to acknowledge its existence because there is little to be done if scar tissue is the source of pain after surgery.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand because after my last surgery (where my doctor informed me that my scar tissue, from previous surgeries was so bad that it literally had pulled my bladder and bowel to both sides of my abdominal wall and cemented them there) I asked him what could be done for scar tissue. His reply to me was only surgery to remove it. Great!! It's a vicious circle because with any surgery, you'll have scar tissue!

Thank you Tetonteri66

Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #20
(male)

Jazdaddy HB UserJazdaddy HB UserJazdaddy HB User

[QUOTE=Chardaba;4762276]Fighton,
Thank you so much for replying back to me. I am just aggrivated, that two radiologists, from the same place, (naturally) are going to agree with each other. It kind of reminds me of cops, and that "thin blue line". I am definitely going to ask my doctor for a 2nd opinion, and a 3rd if need be! I know that something just isn't right. I would even be (somewhat) to hear that my back is fine, and it IS JUST scar tissue. At least this way, there would be a logical reason for me to hurt. Thanks again, and also....good luck to you![/QUOTE]

My surgeon has an assistant that goes thru a 45 minute question session that is used to pinpoint problems. THEN they do the MRI/CAT. Usually, he is spot on in the verbal diagnosis. Radiology can catch some gross structure problems, but without the doc getting involved with things, a lump on the image can be a number of things.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
(female)

Chardaba HB User

Thank you JazzDaddy.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
(male)

Jazdaddy HB UserJazdaddy HB UserJazdaddy HB User

No problem - hope you're feeling better soon.

There IS an alternative to another operation if the pain radiates from lumbar nerve roots. Pain management can help with most sources using feedback, meditation, and the like, but using nerve stimulation can help significantly. Electrodes are placed next to the nerve in question and given an electrical current. This fools the nerve into thinking the pain is actually something else. The intensity of the impulse is supposed to be the same, but it becomes more of a tingle than pain. The procedure has a decent success rate, but may or may not deal with all the pain. Thi is an option after surgical options are pretty much ruled out.

http://www.*****.com/back-pain/spinal-cord-stimulation-for-low-back-pain

Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think it is important to first get an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a treatment option. I would not want to have a neurostimulator implanted if there was a surgery that might resolve the issues. Spinal cord stimulators used to be considered a "last resort" reserved when all other options had been tried and failed. SCS seems to be used more often now. I suppose that is due to the increase in numbers in the pain management specialty.

It is not without significant risks...but obviously is a wonderful option if there are no other choices for nerve pain relief.

I just wanted to mention that a radiology report almost cost me the opportunity to have my recent fusion surgery. I had a positional MRI at a private facility. The radiology report was obviously inaccurate, and probably was not even connected to my actual MRI. For example, it stated there was no sign of any disc herniation at L4-5 when in reality I do not have a disc at L4-5. I had it removed and a cage was placed to hold the space in 2008.

When the insurance company requested records prior to approving my surgery, the surgeon's secretary sent along this report as it was in my file, even though the doctor knew it to be incorrect. He didn't realize it had ended up in my file. The insurance company took one look at it and sited it as proof that my surgery was not "medically necessary," and they denied it.

I eventually got it straightened out, but it ended up postponing my surgery by three months, and I never got a response from that MRI facility!!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Wow that is terrible, I have had a cervcial fusion ,you are in a lot of pain, it is scary to think that someone could screw up something like that all the while there is more damage going on. I did have the electrodes next to the nerve that jazzdaddy spoke of , I was diagnosed before the doctor ordered it , sad to say it didnot worrk for me Hope it all works out for you

Closed Thread