It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
(male)

dishdope HB User
Rotated hip, Anyone dealing with this?

I believe I may have a rotated hip but not confirmed by anyone yet. I'm hoping to restore proper funtion back to my pelvis. I've been following the book by Pete Egoscue called, "Pain Free." The book's focus is restoring function back to the body by aligning load bearing points in the body; I believe it is helping so far.

The signature exercise in the book is the supine groin stretch. I think this exercise relaxes the hip flexor muscles which allow the anterior rotation to be corrected? Please correct me if I'm wrong here. The are various other exercises to be performed aswell that include squeezing a pillow with your knees in different positions and extensions.

Anyone else trying similar exercises for a possible rotated hip? Was your rotated hip confirmed by anyone? If so, how was it detected?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Rotated hip, Anyone dealing with this?

Any good physical therapist or even a medical massage therapist or someone who does body work could tell you whether you have rotation in your pelvis or hip. Before you proceed too much further with exercises, I think you need to have someone sizing you up because body alignment is interrelated, and what you think may be a problem with hip rotation could actually be starting out with a foot problem (for example!).

You might have slack ligaments that are allowing your pelvis to shift out of position...there may be some play in your SI joints that allow your pelvis to rotate....

I know you said "rotated hip," but I'm guessing that it may be more a problem with the pelvis than with a hip....but, in any case, it can be evaluated to see that you are doing the "right" exercises for your problem. Some exercises can make the problem worse if it is a matter of loose, over-stretched ligaments.

Last edited by teteri66; 06-01-2011 at 09:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
crashdummie (05-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
(male)

crashdummie HB User

Thanks for the imput girls,

I believe strongly that what ever has caused my back woes (DDD, disc protrusion, l5 sacralization) has a root cause. My pelvis is unstable, as tetonterri mentioned, and the biomechanical structures that are designed to last until 70 years old or even longer have been compromised and deterioration of the spine has been severly accelerated.

I'm keeping faith that I can correct this "instability" and allow the current damage to be healed and sustain a normal functioning spine until much later in life (I'm 31 minus 3 years since onset of back problems). This has been the greatest challenge of my life to date, maybe I should feel fortunate.

Jen, 7-8 months on one program is a good guage of how it is working for you. How long do you girls think is a good length of time to try a treatment before you know it's not working?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

crashdummie HB User

opps i used the other username. crashdummie=dishdope. Am I gonna get in trouble...

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=dishdope;4764415]I believe I may have a rotated hip but not confirmed by anyone yet. I'm hoping to restore proper funtion back to my pelvis. I've been following the book by Pete Egoscue called, "Pain Free." The book's focus is restoring function back to the body by aligning load bearing points in the body; I believe it is helping so far.

The signature exercise in the book is the supine groin stretch. I think this exercise relaxes the hip flexor muscles which allow the anterior rotation to be corrected? Please correct me if I'm wrong here. The are various other exercises to be performed aswell that include squeezing a pillow with your knees in different positions and extensions.

Anyone else trying similar exercises for a possible rotated hip? Was your rotated hip confirmed by anyone? If so, how was it detected?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Are you talking hip joint or sacroiliac joint and what is rotated and in what direction?
James

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If you can determine that your ligaments are loose and that is contributing to the issue, you might want to look into prolotherapy. Jen is the expert on that, so I'll let her tell you more....

I have had two lumbar fusions, the most recent a year ago from L3 to S1. As I embarked upon PT it became obvious that my SI joints, particularly the left side, would not stay in place. Almost every week when I'd go in for what I think of as "rearrangement," my piriformis muscle running across the buttock and attaching over by the hip, would be taut...and it would pull the SI joint out, which allowed a subtle rotation of my pelvis. This is a matter of the ligaments having lost their "ability to stretch" -- so that when I would move a certain way, the ligament would get trapped just like a loose rubberband that no longer can maintain its ability to stretch and return to the shorter length. No amount of exercise will shorten this ligament, and many stretches just make it worse. The only option is prolotherapy...where the ligaments are injected with natural liquids, and the ligament becomes irritated. As it tries to heal the irritation, the ligament scars and becomes thicker, which results in it contracting. (We usually try to avoid the scarring process, but, in this case, it is a good thing....)

Maybe something similar is going on with you.

I think three months is plenty of time to determine if something is going to improve a situation. If there is NO change after that time, I would think it is time to try something else....

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
jenj770 (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
(male)

crashdummie HB User

Wow, I love this forum, what a wealth of knowledge at the end of the finger tips

[B][QUOTE][/QUOTE]Are you talking hip joint or sacroiliac joint and what is rotated and in what direction?
James[QUOTE][/QUOTE][/B]

The hip joint can be rotated only? Without the SI joint being rotated? I was only aware that the SI is slack, which allows the ilium to rotate, which drives the hip joint up into an uncomfortable posistion in the socket.

As for the direction of my particular rotation, I assume it is forward but I don't know. I think, from what I've read in books and online, that the ilium can only rotate forward and not posteriorly.

I'm 99.9% sure both Egoscue and Richard Tigny, who are both SI joint/pelvis experts, agree on only a forward rotation is possible for dysfunction.

[B][QUOTE][/QUOTE]I second tetonteri66 suggestion for Prolotherapy. She explained the problem with trying to correct these issues with exercise very well! My experience with trying to correct an SI joint problem with exercise was exactly like what she described.

If you do decide to try Prolo I would only suggest you do a lot of research to find the best practitioner in your area. One who uses Kineseology or Ultra Sound to locate the exact injection sites would, in my opinion, be preferable. I would also look for someone who has been doing Prolo for years, not a start-up practitioner or an Ortho or Pain Management doc who hasn't formally studied and received certification as a Prolotherapist.

Jen[QUOTE][/QUOTE][/B]

Yes I agree, prolotherapy must be delivered by a MD by ultrasound guided injections. Have you seen those prolo injections on utube and the guy is jabbing his needle into the lower back like an automatic machine gun? I'm against that approach whole heartedly for many reasons.

When my prolo MD did my injections, it was quick and efficient with a total of 5 injections on each side of the SI joint. I asked him to avoid the very upper and lower SI ligs (Iliolumbar and sacrospinous lig). It was reccommended to me by Don Tigny, so of course I took his advice.

I'm extremely forturnate to have received 2 SI joint prolo treatments by a highly respected MD doctor here in Calgary. He trained under and with the prolo pioneer Dr.Hacket. Although it didn't work because I didn't take appropriate steps to ensure the proper alignment was maintaned before the slack ligs was able to take hold. Next time I'm hoping that won't repeat itself (fingers crossed).

There are Physio people that work with the prolo doctors, which I failed to use the first time around aswell. I was using another physio guy that was familiar with prolo treatment but I didn't feel like he cared much at all, I got the impression from him that he didn't think it was going to work. Sometimes it feels like you are a bother to them...

I think I may have had a very tight piriformis at one time which originally pulled my pelvis out of place, then I added the crushing blow of weight lifting and a labour intensive job to stretch the ligs out, like that loose rubber band effect mentioned before.

I feel very strongly that my condition is pelvic instability of some type. Not only does my lower back/pelvis feel very sore and stained but I've had other run- in's with conditions such as Golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis), sore left knee and lots of popping and clicking all over the body and horrible posture with a classic flat back syndrome (loss of lumbar curve). This closely resembles principles outlined in many books of a dysfunctional body with many shearing forces placed on the spine. OUCHY!!!

Dosen't it hurt so much when after standing or walking for a long time and then you sit down and loosen the bottom of your pelvis and that extreme stiffness pain that is felt right at the L5-S1 area and across the top of the pelvic crest... A really bummer sometimes...

Thank you for chiming in everyone

Last edited by crashdummie; 05-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
(male)

crashdummie HB User

James, Jenj, tetonteri? Can you give some imput on my last post please?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
(male)

crashdummie HB User

Hi Jenj

Walking does make my hips, SI joint area and lower back very sore, much more sore then just sitting. I don't think I have a loose feeling at all but I do get popping and cracking in the SI area.

I had my prolo shots in August and Septemeber 2010, it has not helped my pain or even might have made it worse but I can't say for sure the prolo made it worse. It just seems things keep getting worse and I'm at a loss of what to do next or what approach to take... I have new health insurance starting in a week and I have to choose the best angle to come at my back problems with.

I know there's going to be a billion chiro's, physio's, osteopaths that all want to do their thing and take my money; I just have to pick the best one and stick with it for at least 3 months.

The part of my last post I was hoping to get answers from, was the rotation of the hips and get feedback on stabalizing the SI joints. The rest of the post was just my understanding of the hips and FYI of various other things.

How did you find your therapist? What peaked your interest to follow their guidience? Do you think your therapist is addressing your underlying problem?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

As far as I am aware, the only two effective means of stabilizing the SI joints is prolo or the new SI fusion surgery, which seems to be more effective than the way they used to do it. The problem is that there isn't much track record for the new surgery...so whether it ends up being as effective as it appears to be now remains to be seen.

You can stabilize back issues through exercise because there are a lot of muscles running parallel to the spine. But the SI joints are not held in position by anything but ligaments so exercises do not help stabilize, and in fact, can increase the laxity of the ligaments.

What you have to do is figure out what is causing your problems. Is it really the SI joints or is something else going on?

If you think it might be piriformis or something like that, there is a new type of imaging that used to only be available at one place in California...but the doctor has recently begun to set up franchises and there are new places opening up around the country. It is called MR neurography and the doctor who "invented" it is Aaron G. Filler. The imaging is able to visualize nerve problems. You might want to look into it.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just reread what you wrote here:

[I]I'm extremely forturnate to have received 2 SI joint prolo treatments by a highly respected MD doctor here in Calgary. He trained under and with the prolo pioneer Dr.Hacket. Although it didn't work becI'ause I didn't take appropriate steps to ensure the proper alignment was maintaned before the slack ligs was able to take hold. Next time I'm hoping that won't repeat itself (fingers crossed).[/I]

Why don't you go back to him and see what he thinks is causing your issues? I would think he could do a thorough structural evaluation to see what is out of alignment, what might be causing it, etc. He may have some other ideas that you have not even thought of yet. It might be a good place to start looking for answers....

Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
(male)

crashdummie HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4768056]As far as I am aware, the only two effective means of stabilizing the SI joints is prolo or the new SI fusion surgery, which seems to be more effective than the way they used to do it. The problem is that there isn't much track record for the new surgery...so whether it ends up being as effective as it appears to be now remains to be seen.

You can stabilize back issues through exercise because there are a lot of muscles running parallel to the spine. But the SI joints are not held in position by anything but ligaments so exercises do not help stabilize, and in fact, can increase the laxity of the ligaments.

What you have to do is figure out what is causing your problems. Is it really the SI joints or is something else going on?

If you think it might be piriformis or something like that, there is a new type of imaging that used to only be available at one place in California...but the doctor has recently begun to set up franchises and there are new places opening up around the country. It is called MR neurography and the doctor who "invented" it is Aaron G. Filler. The imaging is able to visualize nerve problems. You might want to look into it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on the new franchise. I don't have nerve damage yet (knock on wood). Could this technology be helpful for someone without nerve pain? But maybe slightly irritated nerves could cause muscle tightening. What else could cause SI joint area pain and stiffness if all there is there is ligaments?

I have made another appointment with my prolo doctor so this time I'm better prepared. What are some questions I could ask him that pertain to my possible pelvic dysfunction?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

So you don't have any pain that radiates out from your hip/groin/pelvis/buttocks area? Basically your problem is that you feel tight and somewhat out of alignment??

I guess I didn't understand your issues....if it is a matter of tightness, I'm not sure if prolo would help....but, if the doctor is good, he still might be good at diagnostics.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

If that's the problem...I think pelvic rotation (anterior) is caused by tight or shortened hip flexors, weak abs, especially the transverse abdominus, weak glutes and lengthened hamstrings. It is often a result of an inactive lifestyle, sitting too much, etc.

Some of the results are lower back pain, protruding belly, poor hip mobility and over pronation of the feet. As we discussed in the first posts, it is one thing (anterior pelvic rotation) that pulls the spine out of alignment....have you had your feet checked out to be sure you don't over pronate??

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
(male)

crashdummie HB User

[QUOTE=jenj770;4768089][/QUOTE]

I had only 2 treatments because it was so expensive and I wasn't sure if it was going to work. If I do choose to have prolo again, I want to make sure I have proper guidance this time.

I had a MRI in October 2009 and it showed disk protrusion on L5-S1 and buldging on L4-L5. Signal strength weakened and good alignment. I'm no where near surgery right now(knock on wood)

Thank you for telling me about the kinesiology guided prolo, I'll check that out.

Closed Thread