It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
(male)

ryanstar87 HB User
Arrow can anyone help me interpret this MRI report the doc gave me?

I am hoping someone smart can interpret this for me into words that make sense.. normal words not doctor words! It is the radiology diagnostics report (the printout, I guess where the Doctor interpreted my MRI) i have no idea what it means besides some of my vertabra have fractures.

the MRI was of my thoracic spine, which we found out had a fracture I believe. what I dont understand is all the details included... help!!

"THERE IS MILD ANTERIOR WEDGE COMPRESSION DEFORMITY OF THE T8 VERTEBRAL BODY WITH NORMAL MARROW SIGNAL. THIS IS SIMILAR TO THE LATERAL CHEST RADIOGRAPH. THERE IS MILD ANTERIOR WEDGE COMPRESSION DEFORMITY OF THE T7 VERTEBRAL BODY WHICH IS NEW WHEN COMPARED WITH THE PREVIOUS CHEST RADIOGRAPH, BUT DOES NOT APPEAR ACUTE, THERE IS NO MARROW EDEMA OR MARROW REPLACEMENT WITHIN THIS VERTEBRA. THERE IS MODERATE TO SEVERE COMPRESSION DEFORMITY OF THE T6 VERTEBRAL BODY WHICH IS ALSO A NEW FINDING WHEN COMPARED WITH THE PREVIOUS LATERAL CHEST XRAY. THIS DOES NOT APPEAR ACUTE, THERE IS NO MARROW EDEMA OR MARROW REPLACEMENT WITHIN THIS VERTEBRAL BODY. THE POSTERIOR ELEMENTS APPEAR INTACT. THERE IS NO ENCROACHMENT UPON THE NEURAL CANAL.

IMPRESSION
1. ((SUMMARIZES ABOVE)
2. ((SUMMARIZES ABOVE)
3. INCIDENTAL FINDING OF A VERTEBRAL BODY HEMANGIONA AT THE T12 LEVEL.

does anybody know what this means? the doctor didnt explain it well and of course I didnt know what questions to ask.

thanks,
Ryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: can anyone help me interpret this MRI report the doc gave me?

Welcome to the board. I'll take a stab at it, but bear in mind none of us have professional medical training, so comments are just based on personal experience....Also, there aren't that many people with thoracic issues, including myself, so it is an area I only have limited knowledge of.

The thoracic area is more difficult to deal with due to its location. It is not designed to move, so it is much more attached to the skeleton than either the lumbar or cervical areas.

Your report indicates that there are some wedge compression deformities at three vertebral levels -- T6, T7 and T8. A compression deformity is a type of fracture of the vertebra that can be caused by injury, or a vertebra that is already weakened from something like osteoporosis or degeneration. It is a collapse of the vertebra and usually occurs on the anterior side of the spine (toward your chest wall) rather than the posterior side. The result is a wedge shaped vertebra. The bone doesn't actually break, but it is crushed on that anterior side. (If the bone completely breaks, it is considered a fracture.)

This crush can range from very moderate, which doesn't cause pain or problems, to severe, where the patient may be in a great deal of pain....If the crush is severe, it can cause a physical deformity at that point in the spine. Sometimes people will be bent over as a result of a wedge compression fracture (deformity).

Apparently you had a chest x-ray previously which showed the fracture at T8...but the ones at T7 and T6 were not apparent on the chest x-ray. The good news is that these are all described as mild except for T6 which is worse, and described as moderate to severe.

These deformities are on the anterior end of the vertebrae. The posterior elements appear intact...meaning OK...and the best news is that none of this is pushing into the neural canal. The central canal is where the spinal cord is located, and which carries all the nerves to and from the brain....When something happens that pushes into the neural canal, it can really be a cause for concern...so this is good news.

The hemangioma is a small, benign tumor that usually doesn't cause any problems...he mentions it as an incidental finding...meaning he saw it, but it doesn't have any bearing on the reason why you were given the MRI.

These compression deformities can be treated in a variety of ways. Did your doctor make any recommendations?

I hope this helps...it is a very basic, "un-medical" attempt to help you understand the radiology report.

Please post with any comments or questions. We have a nice community of helpful folks on this board.

TT

Last edited by teteri66; 06-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: can anyone help me interpret this MRI report the doc gave me?

Great explanation, Teri. I have the same thing at T6,7,8 only I have herniated disks with cord compression with all of them. They actually look like slices of a pie on MRI if seen from the side. Wedges is right! The only pain I have is with the T7 nerve on the left side. Figure this will need surgery at some point and the doc just did a series of x-rays to check on it at my latest appointment.

For ryanstar...surgery to fix the thoracic spine is very difficult if you are considering it. In order to get to the area from the front, they have to move the lungs and heart...not easy. From the back, they can't reach the main problem on the front side of the spine. Recently, a spine surgeon patented a series of long handled surgical tools just for the thoracic spine so they can go in from the side behind the lungs. But it will take time for the spine docs to learn how to use them. I have a great doc who is very forward moving in the field but I'm even waiting for him to learn before I say yes to any intervention.

In the meantime, I am being treated for osteoporosis...have you been checked for that? Can hit at any age, either sex and it can really destroy the spine. Strengthening the bones will always help. PT helps too. I'm doing exercises in a warm poll and I swim when done with the exercises...great for the back. The warm water keeps the spasms down. Good posture helps too.

Jenny

Closed Thread