It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

myachingbackkk HB User
pins and needles in legs, feet and abdomen

About a month ago i posted to this site..i was diagnosed with a minor disc bulge in the L5..originally I had numbness in my left buttock area, leg and foot not even being able to move my toes...i been to chiropractor and now its gone to my other leg and right before my menstrual cycle my abdomen by my belly button started to have a weird sensation...like a pins and needles sensation...now, the numbness is out of my buttock area and only in the legs and feet but not as bad, but the new thing is my abdomen...why is this now pins and needles, is this sciatica or something worse? I am very nervous.,,has anyone else had symptoms like this with sciatica...??

Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: pins and needles in legs, feet and abdomen

Pins and needles is one of many nerve pain symptoms that indicates a loss of function in the sensory nerve or nerves. Symptoms range from a tingling, to feelings of electrical shock, a feeling of water running down the leg, or pain that is harp, stabbing, dull, achy, to partial or complete numbness.

Did you have a MRI to diagnose the L5 herniation? I would suggest that if you have some nerve compression coming from this herniation, it may be that the herniation has enlarged, or there is swelling or irritation of the nerve which is responsible for the slight change in symptoms you are experiencing.

It is not uncommon to have pain in the pelvic area,groin, genital area, buttocks, etc. from an injury involving the L5 and S1 spinal nerves. I would suspect that the tingling around your belly button is most likely a sensitivity coming from this issue.

I've found that once there is nerve irritation, all my nerves, in general just feel more sensitive...

I would be a bit cautious with your visits to the chiropractor. Some treatments have been known to make some spinal conditions worse.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
myachingbackkk (06-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
myachingbackkk (06-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

jaydar HB User
Re: pins and needles in legs, feet and abdomen

One of the symptoms I had besides electric shock down my legs and stabbing in my feet....I'd get a pin like stab around my belly button at the same time I'd get a jab in my foot.

I told the work comp doctor this....and he flat out told me the nerves don't work that way.He said pain doesn't jump from you feet up.

It ****** me off because I never said the pain went from my foot to my belly....I said I was getting simultaneous jabs in my feet an belly.

I mentioned to my own doctor that I had at the time...he didn't say anything.

Anyway....my mri was fairly unremarkable...the only visible issue were moderate bulging discs at L3-4,4-5,and 5-s1 with slight foramenal narrowing at 4-5....Doctor said I really shouldn't be having any problems.

Pain management doc ordered a discogram.....and the problems were clearly visible. Discogram showed 2 small herniations 3-4 and 4-5 with a large annulat tear in 4-5....mri did not detect these.

Later...a couple years down the road..a 2nd discogram confirmed what the 1st one showed.

Insurance has left me dangling....thanks to my 1st attorney for almost 9 years.They would not approve surgery but would not send the doctor a letter denying surgery...so I was left in limbo.

I fired the 1st attorney and the new attorney got my case before a judge and compelled insurance to approve surgery.

I just had 2 level fusion 2 weeks ago.

Already I'm feeling better...aside from some sciatic pain in left buttock leg and foot.

I'm sure this will abate when swelling is gone and I can begin pt.

I've lost almost a decade of my life.....don't let this happen to you.

You are not nuts.

Last edited by jaydar; 06-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Closed Thread