It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

DBKY HB User
Synovial Cysts

Can anyone tell me how many microscopic decompression surgeries on the L5-S1 (removal of synovial cyst pressing against the nerve root) a person can have? And if a fusion of the L5-S1 would prevent the cysts from forming?

Thanks & Regards,

DBKY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Synovial Cysts

This is a question best posted to your surgeon. I suppose the answer would depend on the attitude of your surgeon and whether he is removing bone along with the cyst. If he feels the decompression is creating any spinal instability, then he would perform a fusion instead...I would think!

With discectomy, most surgeons do not like to repeat it too often, usually recommending a fusion on the third attempt. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the third time seems to be fairly common.

With each additional entry over the same incision, the risk of infection increases, as well as some other issues.

From what I could tell from doing a little online research, there is not definitive proof that fusion will stop the formation of synovial cysts. Some articles state that once there is not any movement at the facet joint, the synovial sac will not fill will fluid and a cyst will not form. But I found a comprehensive study from the NIH done over a study period of ten years that indicated there was no difference between those patients receiving fusion and those receiving decompression and removal of the cyst.

I hope your surgeon will be able to provide you with appropriate information, so you can make an informed decision. You may want to get more than one opinion since synovial cysts are not all that common in the spine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
(male)

DBKY HB User

Thanks for the reply!

Dbky

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
(female)

sassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB Usersassy411 HB User

I have one. Docs don't want to remove it as it is delicate surgery and will likely grow right back. Mine presses on L4.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
(male)

DBKY HB User

Do your cysts press the nerve root creating pain down your leg and prevent you from living in a normal fashion due to the pain ?

My problem is that the synovial cysts start pressing against the nerve root and the pain gets so bad that it becomes unbearable and I cannot function. Thus the two surgeries which are not very invasive and takes about 4 weeks to recover. The problem is I cannot function or live in a normal fashion with the constant nerve root pain, that is the reason I am considering the 3rd decompression surgery(removal of cyst, fragments, etc pressing the nerve) and then perfomring the fusion at the same time, and that would restrict the movment of the joint, and the hopefully the cysts would not form anymore.

Best Regards,

DBKY

The Following User Says Thank You to DBKY For This Useful Post:
countrygirl0510 (04-07-2012)
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]just an odd question. Have you been on any of the meds that control nerve pain? If you have been, are they any help?[/COLOR]

Closed Thread