It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

carolaann HB User
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?

6 month checkup today with my neurosurgeon and although he didn't come right out and say so, I don't think he's exactly pleased with my progress at this point. It was a 360 T12 - L5 fusion and I'm still on my walker, can't stand for more than 5 minutes, and daily experience pains from a 5 - 8 despite strong pain meds. He prescribed PT and mentioned the possibility of something called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Anyone have personal experience with this?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?

I'm sorry you haven't made more progress in your recovery. Did the surgeon offer any suggestions as to why this might be?

I don't know anyone who has had transcranial magnetic stimulation. Does the surgeon do this or send you to someone for the treatment?

It sounds like it must be an "off-label" use as TMS is designed to treat major depression that is not responsive to any medications. It sounds to me like a more up-to-date, less drastic form of electroconvulsive therapy. Perhaps it is a new method of treating pain that has become chronic -- where the source of pain has been removed or taken care of, but the brain still perceives that the body "part" is in pain --I can't remember what that type of perceived pain is called. Does that sound anything like what your surgeon was describing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

carolaann HB User

Yes, you're right on target, as usual. It is used for chronic pain, and he (the physician group) is in the process of getting a grant for it. It targets the brain area where pain is perceived. I have to do some more research on it. It's not something I'm going to be doing right away, but if I'm still having problems after I complete the physical therapy I might (but only after knowing much more than I do now).

Thanks for your reply, Teton. You're such a help and encourager to this board.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Thanks for your kind words. After reading how it is used to treat depression, I can see how it could be applied to stimulate the part of the brain that perceives pain signals...and it sounds quite intriguing.

I hope you'll get better without resorting to such an investigational treatment, but it might be interesting to be involved in such a groundbreaking study.

Closed Thread