It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
ouch! Bad pain after physical therapy"

I am seeing a PT for right sciatic back leg and groin pain. I have just begun treatment this past week. Each time they add new exercises and now I am having the same pains that were just on the right side. Last night I have had groin and leg pain on the opposite side that just shoots and radiates out from the leg groin area and nearly takes my breath away. Does anyone else have this? If so how do you deal with it? I know I have to keep doing the exercises and taking the pain meds. I can't even work right now because its so painful.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: ouch! Bad pain after physical therapy"

Physical therapy does not help everybody, and it sounds like it may be making you worse. You should be improving, not having more pain. Did you have an MRI of your back? If not, I would suggest one, to make sure you are getting the right treatment, I spent months in therapy only to find out I had a large herniation and they should not have been working on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I'm on low income state insurance. They told me that I have to follow protocol and do pt first then they will start taking pictures. Good grief this seems to have only aggreviated my pain. Thanks for responding.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

An old dear family doctor once said to me "if the therapy is making you worse stop it immediately". At the time I had issues with my cervical spine. I went into therapy with my neck held straight, I came out of therapy twisted with severe muscle spasms.....I had nerve compression and the therapist was making it worse.

Sometimes of course there can be changes going on that have nothing to do with the therapy and you would be having more pain regardless therapy or not. Go back to your doctor and ask to be reassessed. Something has changed.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I agree with the other poster, stop the therapy and go back to your doc and tell your doc you are way worse and in way more pain. I am also on state insurance, but that doesn't mean what they prescribe is any help. I was also sent to therapy, and lasted one day, complained to the doc, and had MRI's, then found out I have tons of problems that therapy will not help.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone! You know I was feeling better for awhile but I have to be honest that I carried a CD cabinet up a flight of stairrs yesterday. I knew I shouldn't have done it. It was probably a 50 lb 3 foot box and I inched my way up the stairs. There wasn't anyone to help me. I feel like it set me back, however I had just done therapy in the morning and she worked me out hard. Do you think it was both?

I think I will give it over the weekend and then if its not any better then I will stop the therapy and ask to be seen again. This is ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well as you now, you shouldn't be lifting things as that aggravates your condition, so yes, it could be both. Also, I read your original post again, if the shooting pains came on after lifting, you could have injured yourself even more, as those pains usually come from a disk problem. All I now is, when physical therapy is the proper treatment, a person normally continues to get better with less pain. If it's a disk problem, exercises can make it worse. You should never have sharp shooting pains while in therapy, or doing exercises. Please make sure you tell your doc about all your symptoms and pain so you get the proper tests and treatment.

Last edited by Kasey443; 07-16-2011 at 05:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kasey443 For This Useful Post:
TEdds83 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kasey! I tell ya tonight I am a mess. I am laying down with a heating pad on my lower back and some ice packs on the places where the groin meets the leg. I just need to find out what the actual injury is. I will not lift again. It was too soon and expecially since I don't know what my injury is for sure. I have had some good moments in the past 3 weeks and until last night I felt like I was getting better. this is nuts. I really think the lifting the cabinet set me off. I am angry at myself because I knew in my heart I shouldn't be doing that and that I would pay the price. Ugh!
Thanks for your advice!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have been there! I get groin pain, sometimes hip pain, I limp, my foot turns out, my low back will hurt, and I am laid up on the couch with heat packs and meds when I overdo it. I know how it feels! I have to use a cane to walk now. It used to get better, and this last time it only got better to a point. But I do know you should never have shooting sharp pains from therapy or exercises. Therapy helps immensely for treating muscle spasms though, I have been there many times for that. I have heard 6 weeks of PT is the most a person should go, and if it is not healed, you should then go back to your doc, or sooner if therapy makes you worse, like it did me this last time.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for sharing about yourself with me Kasey. I am sorry you suffer too. It can be so dibilitating. I went through PT 4 and half years ago for 10 weeks. I was all better at the end of 10 weeks. I didn't want it to end. At the time of that treament I just had the glute pain in the butt and down the back of the leg. This time it's different because its in the groin, butt and legs. Thats what worries me, is the bend in the leg/ groin pain. It's weird because I hadnt really hard that it would be a sciatica issue. Perhaps its not.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get groin pain on and off if I am up too long, it shoots into one hip and my low back also, and pulls one leg up and I limp. This can be a disk problem, it is with me, but if its mild, can be helped with therapy. I'm glad to hear the therapy helped you before, it has helped me many times too, mainly with my neck. Just take it easy from now on and hopefully you will recover again with the therapy.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kasey! I hope you are feeling good. Today I felt almost normal. I rested most of the day. I have pt in the morning and I'm going to tell them to take it easy on me. Today was a welcomed relief. I do have some irritating muscle twitching going on that I hadn't had. I'm wondering if its from pt,taking ibuprofen or the flexeril?..the only other time I had this is when I'm on sudefed too many days in a row. At night it feels like restless leg syndrome.

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-17-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again! Had PT this morning and by this afternoon I just hurt and ache all through lower back abs and groin. No shooting pain though! Thank God. But I am just so sore. It is so miserable and I am wondering if this will be the feeling after each PT session.
P.S. Can coffee cause more pain and inflammation in these area's if I had one today? Arrrgh!

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
(female)

Lisaoc HB User

[QUOTE=TEdds83;4801250]I am seeing a PT for right sciatic back leg and groin pain. I have just begun treatment this past week. Each time they add new exercises and now I am having the same pains that were just on the right side. Last night I have had groin and leg pain on the opposite side that just shoots and radiates out from the leg groin area and nearly takes my breath away. Does anyone else have this? If so how do you deal with it? I know I have to keep doing the exercises and taking the pain meds. I can't even work right now because its so painful.[/QUOTE]

Tedds83 I went threw therapy for my back cause I found out a year ago that my spine is curved into a c and I went threw it for 13 weeks of pain without medication doctor refused to give me pain medication had to go to the er for any medication to relax me. All I can tell you is if you hurt still after 4 weeks of therapy tell your doctor that it is not helping you and,that the pain is getting worse each time you do therapy. I've just found out this year that my back is worse then it was last year. Try your best in therapy and also let your therapist know that the exercise is hurting you more then usual. What your doctor might do is raise the dosege on your medication or have you go in for a mri or a bone denstey test. Hope I helped you out a little bit Lisa

Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tedds83, I'm doing ok still waiting on a call from Mayo. Thankyou. By the way, do they even know why they are doing therapy on you? For example, do they have a diagnosis or are they working blindly on you? About the muscle twitching, I don't remember having this at all. Where are the twitches? How often do you go to therapy? Do your leg calves cramp or bother you? In PT, you should start noticing improvement almost immediately. The pain you have should be subsiding. When you have had treatment for weeks, and think you are no longer improving, or little things set you back, it's time to go back and get more tests. I have had therapy on both my neck and back. When I had it on my back, they were working blind, and it was painfull, and taking way too long for me to improve,. I went back to my doc and found out through more tests that I had a large herniation that nothing except surgery was going to help. It's best to know what the cause is before getting treatment. I see you are from Iowa. I am originally from there!

Last edited by Kasey443; 07-18-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Closed Thread