It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

jewels416 HB User
How long does It take to become addicted to fentanyl patches (50 mcg)?

I am now terrified of becoming addicted to the patches. How long does it take b/f the addiction takes hold? I think I'm better off w/the pills (percocet, norco or vicoden ES).

She offered me Butrans or oxycontin (20 mg/2 X/day) as options as well. Which do I choose that will be most effective w/the least addiction potential?

Anybody ever alternate Fentnyl 9 days on & then off for 4 days using pills (percocet, norco or vicoden ES) instead? WIll this prevent fentanyl withdrawl?
If it's not too late I'm going back to the percocet or whatever. Her reason for suggesting the switch is all the tylenol the pills contain.

I am in pain ALL the time, college educated, & I want to work & be able to care for my children.

What do I do?

The following user gives a hug of support to jewels416:
loney (08-14-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: How long does It take to become addicted to fentanyl patches (50 mcg)?

[COLOR="Navy"]First welcome to the boards!

First, if you are taking any type of narcotic pain med, and are taking it for the relief of pain, you will not become addicted to the med. You MAY develop a dependancy for it, but not an addiction. Addicts that they meds for the high and the rush that it gives them. CPPers take the meds for the relief from the pain. See the difference?

Alternating the patch with pills will not stop any dependancy that may arise. How long it takes for you to become dependant is a personal issue. Every one's body is different and there is no way to say how long or if you will become dependant on it. All of the narcotic meds can cause dependancy, it just depends on your body.

<If you are concerned about the amount of Tylenol, there are oxycodones that have no Tylenol in them.>

And if you are looking for steady relief, have you tried a LA med, such as Ms Contin (morphine)? That would give you stability and you could still have the break through meds.

In addition to the meds, <there are other modalities to help control the pain>. PT, accupuncture, yoga, meditation, heat or ice, an OTC topical such as biofreeze. There are alot of things that we do to help with the pain in addition to the meds.

Good luck, keep posting. I am sure you will get many responses. I am a CPP, have been for 6 years since my back broke, and have tried Many different meds...

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Administrator; 07-28-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

jewels416 HB User

Though I have ben in many pain clinics, my PCP for MANY years now (10+). refused to offer the stronger meds & just dealt w/taking the "edge off" of the pain w/vicodin, norco, or percocet.

I was afraid to take any of the stronger drugs but chose the fentanyl b/c #1) is cheaper on my ins than Oxys--which scared the hell out of me in the past too--didn't realize that I'd have to buy the Tegaderm or Bioclusives at that time though) & #2) The idea of not having to take pills at all, (didn't know abt breakthough pain), but ESPECIALLY the constant relief & not having to wake up in excrutiating pain.

I am 38 & have had SEVERE pelvic pain since I was 11 or 12. I used to be so desparate back then that I would take like 15 Advil at a time when they 1st came out. For many years I believed that I had endometriosis ONLY. It turns out that I have a condition that "imitates" that same pelvic pain but has horrific urinary symptoms in addition. The condiditon is Interstitial Cystitis (bladder recognizes your own urine as foreign & spams (similar to uterine contractions), causing terrible pain, every day.

I also have awful back pain from an old car accident, am bipolar, and nearly died of ARDS (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome) when I was 27.

Back then I actually tried methadone to get off of pain pills & though I could just drink everyday, get better pain relief, & ultimately, get off of all the pills. Turned out to be a HIGE mistske!! I believe that the clinic accepted my circumstaces (never used heroin) b/c I had AWESOME ins. that paid for almost the whole year It did NOT help me w/pain so I detoxed from like 85 mg per/day by 1 mg EVERY day until I was off of it. It was hell but I did it!!

The doc said she'd wean me off of the fent. She gave me Oxys for breaktrough pain.

I now understand the differebnce btwn depedance & addiction. I am a dependant. Regardless, the horrfiic withdrawl is the, right? Despite ny fears I gues sI'll stick w/the fent for now.m

Last edited by Administrator; 07-28-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

jewels416 HB User

So far I have been doing well w/the pain patch. It has been effective but doesn't make me drowsy, light-headed, or "buzzed" in any way, so I able to function well. My doc reassured me that if the time came to get off of them, she would taper the dose slowly over time to minimize withdrawl symptoms, and that as all long as didn't abuse or misuse them it should be ok. Still scares the hell out of me though but if I was able to get off of the methadone the way that I did, (which I feel I had no business on in the 1st place & the clinic should never have recommended or encouraged it), this should not be as bad, I hope.
I have needed the pills here & there for breakthrough pain, but not much. Now I'm worried abt tolerance. How long willl it take b/f I am needing a higher dosage for the same relief I wonder?
So far, the patch has appeared to be a miracle-working Godsend!! Hindsight is always 20/20 though & I just pray that I don't end up regretting this.
Thank you for your inout & clarifying "addiction" vs. "dependance", I had never realized there was a difference. I do understand what you're saying though & it makes sense.
I'm feeling much better abt it now though (although I am still a little afraid, I am not terrified as I was b/f & have decided to listen to my doc's advice. I love the constant relief & not having to wake up & take pills & more pills!! (I have to get up enough already to urinate due to the I.C.--interstitial cystitis).

Closed Thread