It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

Clo88 HB User
Lower back muscle lumps

Hi just wondering does anyone else who suffers from back/muscle problems have strange lumps in the dimple parts of lower back? I think it's just tight muscles but does anyone know what this is called or what kinds of exercises can help get rid of these. There too tender to touch so can't be anything direct. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Lower back muscle lumps

Oh, my heavens yes. Mine is called myofascial pain. I have a knot the size of a walnut that likes to grow near my waist, and I usually have smaller lumps all over my back and shoulders.

Exercise, stretching, careful posture and sometimes massage therapy help keep the pain reasonable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=Clo88;4813227]Hi just wondering does anyone else who suffers from back/muscle problems have strange lumps in the dimple parts of lower back? I think it's just tight muscles but does anyone know what this is called or what kinds of exercises can help get rid of these. There too tender to touch so can't be anything direct. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You have lipomas. Fatty nodules which can be quite mobile. Lots of folk have them but mostly they are not troublesome. In some folk they become quite painfull and you can have them surgically removed.
James

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

Clo88 HB User

Wow Jane thank u so much, iv just looked that up and I think that is def what I have. Il hav to make an appointment with the doc n see what they say. What caused urs if u don't mind me asking??? And how long have u had it?

Thanks James but I'm pretty sure it's not that as wen I stretch the lumps become smaller so I def recon it's the actually muscles doing it and not tumours. Thanks tho.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Mine didn't seem to have a cause.

I've found that a Pilates warm-up routine is a good way to loosen up gently. Some yoga poses are also really good. Cat, Child's Pose, and Cobra are a few of my favorites, and going back and forth between them can work really well.

Also, when it comes to massage, there are a few special tricks:

Did you ever hear the joke about the drunk guy looking for his keys under a streetlight? A policeman comes along and tries to help. Doesn't see the keys, though, so he asks, "Are you sure you dropped them here?" Drunk says, "No, actually I think I dropped them on the other side of the street, but the light is better here."

The relevance of this joke is that, for massage, you actually can do things that way. If the trigger points themselves are too tender to massage, try working another spot on the same muscle group, or even another area of your back. It just might release the trigger point without dreadful pain.

If all else fails, a doctor can perform what's called trigger point injections. A needle with a little drop of lidocaine, or sometimes steroid, goes into the center of the trigger point. I've had a lot of them over the years, and they feel WEIRD. Sometimes it hurts a lot, just for a second or two. Sometimes it feels hot or cold. Sometimes I can feel the entire muscle JUMP, and the doctor can actually see it twitch.

After the injection, the area is more relaxed. The benefits can last anywhere from a week up to several months.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Clo88 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=Clo88;4814100]Wow Jane thank u so much, iv just looked that up and I think that is def what I have. Il hav to make an appointment with the doc n see what they say. What caused urs if u don't mind me asking??? And how long have u had it?

Thanks James but I'm pretty sure it's not that as wen I stretch the lumps become smaller so I def recon it's the actually muscles doing it and not tumours. Thanks tho.[/QUOTE]

Any lump which is not a lipoma should be looked at by your doc.
James

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

I went to the doc for a small grape sized lump in the dimple of my lower left back, just under the skin on top of the muscle. Doc immediately knew it was a harmless cyst, they are common. Sometimes they can be a little painful. He said insurance wouldn't cover removal, and they can come back anyway. Just have to keep your mind off of it and ignore it. I've had mine for about 6 years.

Last edited by Jeepyjake; 08-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=Jeepyjake;4814441]I went to the doc for a small grape sized lump in the dimple of my lower left back, just under the skin on top of the muscle. Doc immediately knew it was a harmless cyst, they are common. Sometimes they can be a little painful. He said insurance wouldn't cover removal, and they can come back anyway. Just have to keep your mind off of it and ignore it. I've had mine for about 6 years.[/QUOTE]

The harmless cyst is called a lipoma.
James

Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
(female)

Clo88 HB User

Thanks Jane, I wil def hav to take up yoga I think! Wen I tried pilates it was to much for me does ur condition affect many areas of ur body? And how did u get diagnosed? Iv just finished a batch of trigger point injections, they really helped at the time but after 3 weeks of finishing my body is so drained as my muscles hav all tightened up again iv done some research and myofascial release sounds as tho it will help. Do u see a masseuse or physio or osteopath? Which do u think would b best?

And thank you Jake but that sounds different to what I have.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, lord, I get the trigger points in my jaw, scalp, neck, shoulders, forearms, upper and lower back, hips, thighs and calves. Pretty much every major muscle group, except the upper arms.

It started just in my shoulders/neck area, so I had a bunch of x-rays and stuff, blood tests. I was diagnosed with fibro, then they said Chronic Myofascial Pain was probably a better description. It was years before I even figured out that the knots existed, much less what they had to do with my pain. The orthopedists and neurologists I saw first never even mentioned muscles.

During this time, my mother would randomly buy these quack products, like magnets, that were supposed to cure pain. (And I'd yell at her for financially supporting quacks and scam artists.) The one thing she bought that was worthwhile was the Trigger Point Manual. I read the whole thing and it taught me so much about muscle pain!

I currently go to a massage therapist. HOWEVER, not all massage therapists are equally skilled! You might have to kiss a few frogs to find a prince, so to speak. My MT is great, but I don't let her touch my neck. There will probably be places you are better off not getting worked.

Pilates is tough. Make sure you start with a "conditioning" pilates class, not "power" pilates. And on the worst days, I stick to the warm-up part, with moves like head nod and imprint.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
(female)

Clo88 HB User

Yeah defiantly hav to kiss a few frogs first, Iv found a lot of the nhs staff to b terrible, and went to a massuse b4 but don't think she went quite deep enough. It's a nightmare coz these ppl r so expensive, but ur right just Gota keep trying. How long hav u suffered now n how old are u? Do u get limited movement in ur arms neck and legs? Can't believe it goes all the way into ur jaw that must b horrible. Ooh do u remember who that book was by? I may buy it!!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Book was by claire davies.

I'm now 30, and I've had this problem for 12 years.

I get stiff sometimes, but I can usually stretch it out. Usually.

(Sorry to be terse, need to get to bed.)

Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #13
(female)

Clo88 HB User

Wow that is a long time is it something u wil live with then? I wil hav to invest in that book, wil probs help me too!! Do u take any medication which helps? Thanks for all ur help and advise

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will live all my life with muscles that develop knots easily. Some particular areas are better than they used to be, though.

I take nortriptyline, 20 mg per day. It reduces the pain and helps me sleep normally.

Ultimately, the pain is just pain. It doesn't mean my leg is broken, it doesn't mean I'm going to die, it's just pain, and most of the time I'm able to ignore it, except when it's particularly severe.

Closed Thread