It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
(female)

au4000 HB User
Lower back pain - can't stand or walk

Hi all! I've done a bit of browsing and haven't been able to find anything on what I seem to have done so thought I'd post and ask. Yesterday morning I went to bend forwards (had my legs wider apart than usual) and got about a foot forwards when I got a sharp pain up through my spine, it felt like a pop and soon afterwards, a lot of pressure, like a car had driven into my back.

I lay straight down and waited for it to pass- and haven't been able to stand or walk since! Several years ago, I did something similar (I had moved a bookcase then- NOT just simply bent forwards (how ridiculous) and was laid up in bed for several days then but was able to walk to make it to the toilet at least.

Every time I stand I get so much pressure it's unbearable and feels like I can't support the top of my body - when I attempt sitting up, I can only do so propped up. I figured the best thing to do would be as I did last time - bed rest until it disappeared but it is a great deal worse this time so am unsure as what to do. I can't even imagine being able to get to a doctor to get their advice!!

I'm 28 years old with no prior back issues other than what I mentioned. I'm overweight which probably isn't helping the situation and have several health conditions which wouldn't be contributing to this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience you may have in this matter!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Lower back pain - can't stand or walk

Sorry you find yourself in this situation. Often when something happens suddenly such as you are describing it is a lumbar disc that has herniated. I would suggest you try icing or using a gel pack on your lower lumbar area and taking whatever anti inflammatory you might have on hand. You can ice for 15-20 minutes every hour, around the clock if necessary. Be careful not to freeze the skin -- use a towel between skin and ice or gel pack.

You will probably need to see a doctor and have some imaging done to determine exactly what has happened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

blick85 HB User
Re: Lower back pain - can't stand or walk

I have exactly the same problem from time to time. I am awaiting an MRI to find out exactly what is going on as this time, the pain has not gone away. I have been having physio which has helped a little.

I would try your hardest to get to your GP to get you referred and at least for some pain relief.

Hope you feel better soon

Closed Thread