It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

carolaann HB User
Pain after physical therapy too much!

I've been going for pt for 4 1/2 weeks for post-surgery pain (surgery in Jan. 2011). Basically it's been one hour of water therapy and afterwards graston technique massage. The past three treatments have left me with incredible pain the day after, and the one yesterday was the worst. In fact, the pain during the massage was very bad, but the therapist kept saying, "Just bear with me . . . ". My thoughts were, "Well, it's hurting anyway so maybe this will help."

This is 30 hours later and my pain level all day has been 7 - 8, despite taking oxycodone twice, butrans pain patches, 10s unit treatments, and ice. Am I right in calling the therapist in charge of my case on Monday and saying I don't want the massages any more? I will be starting dry needling next week during one treatment period, but the other will continue with the graston massage. Just need some opinions. For the record, I'm not a pain wimp and I don't usually complain, but my daughter has really heard about it today!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

hausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB User
Re: Pain after physical therapy too much!

[QUOTE=carolaann;4831217]I've been going for pt for 4 1/2 weeks for post-surgery pain (surgery in Jan. 2011). Basically it's been one hour of water therapy and afterwards graston technique massage. The past three treatments have left me with incredible pain the day after, and the one yesterday was the worst. In fact, the pain during the massage was very bad, but the therapist kept saying, "Just bear with me . . . ". My thoughts were, "Well, it's hurting anyway so maybe this will help."

This is 30 hours later and my pain level all day has been 7 - 8, despite taking oxycodone twice, butrans pain patches, 10s unit treatments, and ice. Am I right in calling the therapist in charge of my case on Monday and saying I don't want the massages any more? I will be starting dry needling next week during one treatment period, but the other will continue with the graston massage. Just need some opinions. For the record, I'm not a pain wimp and I don't usually complain, but my daughter has really heard about it today![/QUOTE]
I am so very sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. That is terrible...
I am not familiar at all with your circumstances. The only wisdom I can share with you is that I have had several physical therapists for several different reasons and the one thing that they have ALL consisently said is that PT should NOT HURT. The fact that it is hurting during and SO long afterward would have me very concerned. I really think you need to address this with your Dr and the therapist. This just doesn't seem right. But that is just my opinion and I don't have any formal medical training. I truly wish you the best and hope that your pain eases and you are able to figure this out. But I think if I were you, I would be asking questions and wanting to look at other less painful options maybe.
Best of luck with your recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

You said post surgery pain, you seem to be wanting advice on a condition that we have no knowledge of.
James

Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

carolaann HB User

Sorry James - - guess I've posted this so much I thought everyone knew. It was a 360 T12 - L5 fusion in January of this year. I was already fused from L5 - S1. The surgery, to correct scoliosis, was intended to be about 5 hours but was 12 hours. My neurosurgeon said in addition to my spine being curved with scoliosis, it was "Twisted like a pretzel". Since 2003 he had performed 3 other totally unrelated back surgeries. I was in the hospital for a week (which I have very few memories of) and then went to rehab for 3 weeks.

I went to pt today and I didn't have to remind anybody that I didn't want graston today. The therapist said, "No more graston for you!" So I had the water therapy and then he did some mild "leg pull/stretches".

Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=carolaann;4833034]Sorry James - - guess I've posted this so much I thought everyone knew. It was a 360 T12 - L5 fusion in January of this year. I was already fused from L5 - S1. The surgery, to correct scoliosis, was intended to be about 5 hours but was 12 hours. My neurosurgeon said in addition to my spine being curved with scoliosis, it was "Twisted like a pretzel". Since 2003 he had performed 3 other totally unrelated back surgeries. I was in the hospital for a week (which I have very few memories of) and then went to rehab for 3 weeks.

I went to pt today and I didn't have to remind anybody that I didn't want graston today. The therapist said, "No more graston for you!" So I had the water therapy and then he did some mild "leg pull/stretches".[/QUOTE]

Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=james079;4833176][/QUOTE]

I can't amagine why anyone would have graston therapy for your condition. You need progressive hydrotherapy and an active gym and home exercise program. In cases like yours it is not easy to gauge the right amount of activity and some days extra pain will be felt but it is all part of the recovery process. Progressive activity is the name of the game, no gain without occassional pain.
James

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

You have had such extensive surgery that I believe any physio you have should be of a gentle nature.

My old doc use to say any time therapy makes you worse it is time to stop the therapy. No pain no gain is a bunch of b.s.

I am so sorry you had to undergo such extensive surgery. Easy as you go is best. If they hurt you just speak up loud and clear. It is your body and you ultimately are the one that has to live with the pain. No one else.

Time is your greatest ally. Healing from such an extensive fusion is bound to be difficult at times. God bless you and keep you strong and positive.

The Following User Says Thank You to pooby For This Useful Post:
carolaann (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
(female)

hausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB User

[QUOTE=pooby;4833566]You have had such extensive surgery that I believe any physio you have should be of a gentle nature.

My old doc use to say any time therapy makes you worse it is time to stop the therapy. No pain no gain is a bunch of b.s.

I am so sorry you had to undergo such extensive surgery. Easy as you go is best. If they hurt you just speak up loud and clear. It is your body and you ultimately are the one that has to live with the pain. No one else.

Time is your greatest ally. Healing from such an extensive fusion is bound to be difficult at times. God bless you and keep you strong and positive.[/QUOTE]

Pooby,

You've have eloquently stated exactly what I was trying to say in my first post earlier in this thread.
Well stated!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hausofmouse For This Useful Post:
carolaann (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
(female)

carolaann HB User

No more graston for me!

Closed Thread