It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

stephanieann123 HB User
Pain in left upper back... right above my shoulder blade

I have been experiencing bad pain in the muscle just left of my spine, close to the shoulder blade for about a year. It is ALWAYS in the EXACT same spot. I literally put bengay/icyhot on it every night before I go to sleep, but it doesn't seem to help much. It comes and goes- but I started noticing that the twisting, knotting pain comes when I lift my arm either straight out like a T, or if my arms are above my head. I can be shampooing my hair, trying on clothes at a store, brushing/blowdrying my hair, any of these trigger the pain. It hurts to the point where I can't move it anymore for a few hours, then it settles down but is still sore.

I have tried alternating ice with heat, the bengay, tylenol, advil, everything... Nothing seems to help except rest.

Another thing is that lately I have also noticed a different kind of pain that sometimes comes with the muscle pain, and sometimes comes on its own. It is in the top bone of the shoulder blade. It feels like joint pain, kinda like if you have to pop your knuckles but can't. This pain I tend to notice more at night.

I have no previous injuries and I am not super active or athletic or anything. I'm in college and I have no history of surgeries or any medical issues. Not sure if this has anything to do with it- but I am I guess "double jointed" in my shoulder blades, and I can pop them out to make them look like wing kinda things (I know its weird, and it freaked people out so I did it often when I was younger for laughs). Not sure if I was hurting a muscle or tendon or anything when doing that.

I know this is probably confusing to read because I don't know all the names of muscles and bones, but it is a pain that has really been bothering me and I can't decide if I should go to the doctor or not. I haven't really heard of any situations quite like mine- but it's just weird how the pain is ALWAYS in the exact same spot- left side only.

Can anyone help please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pain in left upper back... right above my shoulder blade

I can't tell you specifically what is wrong, but it sounds to me like it might be a trigger point that has formed. You might want to try going to a massage therapist that has experience in myofascial massage. They can also be treated with electrical stimulation and dry needling.

A trigger point is really just a knot in a muscle. They form as a local contraction in a small number of muscle fibers in a larger muscle or muscle bundle. There's quite a bit of information online about trigger points.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Pain in left upper back... right above my shoulder blade

Sounds like a facet or a rib articulation joint problem. See a PT and they may be able to diagnose the problem and perhaps manipulate the offending joint or needle the a tight muscle. Interesting about your winging shoulder blades, I could do this in my youth and like you caused great hilarity. It slowly became more difficult to do and eventually became impossible. .
James

Closed Thread