It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
(male)

rossamwb HB User
Sacroiliac si-bone fusion

I have had S1-L3 fusion after 2 back surgerys. For about 25 years also I have had sacroiliac pain but after going from doctor to doctor no one could explain some low low back pain and calve muscle pain,I was told it was because of over work? At that time I was a truck driver unloading by finger print 90 thousand lbs product a week.13 years ago a therapist explained to me about the sacroiliac joint going to a chiropractor and the xrays showed a 5/8 inch diff in my hip bones my family doc told me it in my head.I have had another xray showing a 12 degree s curve from L3-t10 MRI showed DDD in L3-L5 them I had a stand up MRI which showed the same curve in 2008. 1st opt in dec 08 my 2nd opt jan 2011,Now after the 2 back surgerys in a previous post I told how I had gotten pneumonia
with a great deal of coughing,I was walking 6 miles a day 6 weeks post opt,the coughing brought on pain in my hips to the point my walking was getting hard I never got back to 6 miles so after therapy and 2 sets sacroiliac injections my spine doc sent me to a doc that does sacro surgery
so after seeing the sacro doc he started explaining SI-bone fusion and set me a date for sept 29 2011 to do surgery on my left side even though my right side hurts also but my bad side is 89% worst so I will Pray that Dr York knows best.He said if the joint does not move it will not hurt.
wayne b

C5-C6 fusion 2002
L5-S1 fusion 2 rods 4 screws
L3-L5 fusion 2 rods 6 screws

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Sacroiliac si-bone fusion

While they are becoming more widely available, the science of SI joint fusions is in its infancy compared to lumbar or neck fusions.

No surgery has 100% outcomes where the patients are all pain free after surgery. As such, there is a better chance than not that your pain will be reduced, but your doctor is misleading you if he/she is telling you for sure you'll be pain free. Also, there is a non-fusion rate of about 5% with any SI joint fusion surgery method. I had this happen from an SI joint fusion surgery I had and had to repeat the procedure. I have been told that alignment prior to doing the SI Bone method is crucial; otherwise, even though you may fuse you may continue to be in pain, or may need to have the surgery repeated. There are a lot of doctors who have been trained in SI Bone in the last 3 years - make sure your surgeon has done at least several dozen of these procedures so he doesn't use you to learn on.

There is a group for SIJD on a popular social networking web site where SI joint fusions are discussed quite a bit, but I can't give you the name due to board rules.

With SIJD, diagnosis is much more difficult than with back problems. Most surgeons use several tests (CT scan, MRI, SI joint injection) along with a heavy emphasis on a clinical exam to determine whether your SI joint is a pain generator and if fusing it will help you.

Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
rossamwb (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
(male)

rossamwb HB User

During my office visit all the question I asked Dr York I forgot the most important
question about alignment and I understand how important that is upon reading about others who have had this fusion.I am hoping to talk to him again,I have the pre opt next week.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
(male)

Manta1 HB UserManta1 HB User

how did the fusion go?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
(male)

rossamwb HB User

Here I am still pain from Si Joint just has cat scan which shows my 2nd sibone
surgery did not fuse so I see my surg the 8th of july to talk about removing
these pins. I am in worst pain sense I had both these surgery I ask my doc to remove the first pins and I let him talk me into a redo. This is a bad mistake.
For six months I am still on crutches. dont know anyone who has had this removed and what to expect?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
(male)

[QUOTE=rossamwb;5192394]Here I am still pain from Si Joint just has cat scan which shows my 2nd sibone
surgery did not fuse so I see my surg the 8th of july to talk about removing
these pins. I am in worst pain sense I had both these surgery I ask my doc to remove the first pins and I let him talk me into a redo. This is a bad mistake.
For six months I am still on crutches. dont know anyone who has had this removed and what to expect?[/QUOTE]

i am so sorry you are still in pain. I am too after getting screw fixation on both sides. left side is decent enough i could probly go back to work if right side wasnt still bad. My surgeon wants to remove right side screw and put si bone in there.(is what i asked for in the first place) OR he wants to use a brand new cage system that just got fda ok'd a couple months ago.. Scary.But i do like the design. I never liked the design of screws for fixation. it popped when in PT and pain immediately came back.=loosened. another injection of narcane into the si joint proved this.

The following user gives a hug of support to Manta1:
rossamwb (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
(female)

Gerrij HB UserGerrij HB UserGerrij HB User

Hi,
I had the S1/L5 discectomy and fusion done in April, my doc used the cage, with my bone and bone marrow. It was a 360 surgery, and I had a rough week or two! I am 85% better with hardly any back pain and the pain in my legs almost gone. There are some screws in there, one front to back and three back to front, the X-rays are kind of amazing to look at. I had my entire thoracic spine fused about 22 years ago due to kyphosis, and this recent surgery was expected as this is my only spot of movement. The cage approach has actually given me more flexibility vs rods and hooks or screws. I am sorry you are in such pain, but the cage even though new type of surgery seems to have worked, so far for me

Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
(female)

abby20 HB User

I have the back from hades, C3-7 are nearly bone on bone, T 11-14 bulged with a annul tear at T 12. L 3-5 are bulged, L 3 annul tear, PT done that one. L4/5 is a compression fracture, which thanks to the PT that did the annul tear he also started the compression fracture to crumble when he 'popped' it out of position. I have had the most horrid luck with PT they always seem to damage some other area of the spine instead of helping the area regain usage. I fired that imcompent back doc as he did not do any diagnostics before he sent me to this certified PT. 2 cervical nerve blocks, one worked 3 months, 2nd did not work at all. Both lumbar blocks made it worse, they also got the tail bone, I could not put my back against even the couch for a year. And I can't take pain meds, they shut my bowel down.

Last edited by abby20; 06-27-2013 at 04:35 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to abby20:
rossamwb (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Mantal ~ Are you talking about the Avenue L cage system?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
(male)

[QUOTE=teteri66;5192827]Mantal ~ Are you talking about the Avenue L cage system?[/QUOTE]

I was talking about one medtronics has recently got fda approved. SI FIX i think it what it is called.The research i could come up with looks like it changed names a time or two during develpement and is now sifix.

GerriJ- what cage did you have done if you dont mind me asking? i am so glad you got great relief.. Yes,after my screws it was very bad for about 4 days,then small bits of relief started coming in.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Just note that Gerri had L5-S1 fusion, not the SI joints. I would assume that the cages would not be the same.

The FDA approvals are usually very specifically regulated to a particular purpose, often only cervical, only lumbar, and SI joints are different.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
najsmith (06-30-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
(male)

ya this one was ok'ed specifically for the si joints.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wasn't aware that Medtronic had any new spinal products out. They've been so busy dealing with lawsuits.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
(male)

[QUOTE=teteri66;5193111]I wasn't aware that Medtronic had any new spinal products out. They've been so busy dealing with lawsuits.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!! I have been seeing that. And I emailed my surgeon questioning him on medtronic and he thought about it and were gonna go with Ifuse i think lol
I am not interested in their bone grafting compound lol..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
(female)

Gerrij HB UserGerrij HB UserGerrij HB User

Not sure the name of the cage I will check my medical record tomorrow. But the disc was taken out completely and the cage put in filled with my own bone and bone marrow. The I have screws to L5 and S2. Since no rods, I still have movement, I actually have more flexibility than before, probably cause the pain is all but gone. I woke up with almost all pain in legs and hips gone. Was truly amazing. I just wish the insurance companies didn't put us thru the epidurals and PT and tens first, I would have had this done two years ago!

Closed Thread