It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
back pain, pain inguinal area

In the past week, I have had lower back pain, that travels to the inguinal area, hip and sometimes travel in the vagina area (muscles on sides). I once had scartic nerve problems with my second child and could barely walk. Sometimes it feels better if I move in a different position. I went to the doctors last week thinking it was a urinary tract infection and it came back negative but they gave me antiobiotics anyway. I then treated myself for a yeast infection and the symptoms were still there. I am not pregnant. I exercised more before this happened and don't know if that has anything to do with. The pain will come and go but is everyday.

Now I am scared that I have a kidney stone or something.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: back pain, pain inguinal area

Perhaps it might be some sort of injuinal hernia? Since this is the back board, I won't speculate beyond that as my knowledge is limited to the back, and I know quite a bit about kidney stones from my husband's experiences with them. I doubt very much it is a kidney stone. Usually the pain is so intense that a person seeks medical attention within a couple hours of the development of the pain.

You could possibly have some involvement with your lower lumbar spine...down around where the lumbar joins the sacral area. It could be a bulging disc at L5-S1 that has irritated the spinal nerves at that area...this can result in pain referred into the pelvic area, buttock, hip, running down the leg and sometimes even into the foot and toe.

You may have irritated the sciatic nerve through exercise and caused a bit of inflammation that is taking awhile to go away.

I had a difficult childbirth with one of my children, and had some weird nerve pain in the groin for years afterward that would come and go. It is now twenty-some years later and every once-in-awhile if I have been sitting too long and done certain activities I will still get an ache. Sometimes the experience of childbirth lingers on and on!

If you don't get better, you might talk to your doctor about lower lumbar issues....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Terri, You could be right about the hernia. Always suspect a hernia if you have a sequence of back, buttock, hip pain and pain into the inguinal triangle. The biggest problem is that the bulge if small can come and go, and some never show any abnormality. Often it is diagnosed if all else fails which is most inconvenient for the patient to say the least. See what your doc says.
James

Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
(female)

williams777 HB User

Back pain provide variety of symptoms.in the back pain people feel a burning sensation and sharp pain.mostly it provide with muscle of the large muscles.it is normally felt in the low back area.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
(male)

p0506img HB User

James, how can an inguinal hernia cause back/hip pain? I too have similar problems; I began with left testicular and left groin discomfort about 1 1/2 months ago. Mostly it was just an uncomfortable pressure with occasional more sharp pain. Also the testicle was slightly tender. There were no noticable bulges or masses then. After about 2 weeks I saw a surgeon in case it was a hernia. After a long exam he said I have an indirect inguinal hernia (he didn't seem real convincing) and said he could fix it if I want. He also told me to take Cipro for 3 days in case I also had an orchitis or epididimitis. I took the Cipro and nothing changed. About 2 weeks after the start of the groin discomfort I began to have posterior left hip pain and some lower back pain. That has gotten worse and worse although there are occasional better days. I've been takeing a lot of ibuprofen which seems to help a bit. The back and hip pain is WORSE when I lie down on my back to try to sleep. Can this all be related to an inguinal hernia or is something else going on. I can barely walk at times. (BTW I was an avid runner and in very good phyical shape but I havent run in over a month now.) I'd appreciate any thoughts. I would have the "hernia" fixed if I was convinced that was the problem but I'd hate to go through that only to still have pain.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=p0506img;4878243]James, how can an inguinal hernia cause back/hip pain? I too have similar problems; I began with left testicular and left groin discomfort about 1 1/2 months ago. Mostly it was just an uncomfortable pressure with occasional more sharp pain. Also the testicle was slightly tender. There were no noticable bulges or masses then. After about 2 weeks I saw a surgeon in case it was a hernia. After a long exam he said I have an indirect inguinal hernia (he didn't seem real convincing) and said he could fix it if I want. He also told me to take Cipro for 3 days in case I also had an orchitis or epididimitis. I took the Cipro and nothing changed. About 2 weeks after the start of the groin discomfort I began to have posterior left hip pain and some lower back pain. That has gotten worse and worse although there are occasional better days. I've been takeing a lot of ibuprofen which seems to help a bit. The back and hip pain is WORSE when I lie down on my back to try to sleep. Can this all be related to an inguinal hernia or is something else going on. I can barely walk at times. (BTW I was an avid runner and in very good phyical shape but I havent run in over a month now.) I'd appreciate any thoughts. I would have the "hernia" fixed if I was convinced that was the problem but I'd hate to go through that only to still have pain.[/QUOTE]
Because of the nerve supply it is not uncommon for folks to have back and hip pain as well as local pain from a hernia.You need not have any swelling or have had any lumps or protrusions. These are the difficult ones for Docs to diagnos and take care of. If you have normal ranges in your hip and lumbar spine the chances of a hernia is greater. if the pain comes and goes it is more like a hernia. In theory your hernia pain should ease on lying and increase in standing and straining, but not always. Modern hernia operations do really well, only in hospital for a few hours.
James

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
(male)

p0506img HB User

[QUOTE=james079;4879365]Because of the nerve supply it is not uncommon for folks to have back and hip pain as well as local pain from a hernia.You need not have any swelling or have had any lumps or protrusions. These are the difficult ones for Docs to diagnos and take care of. If you have normal ranges in your hip and lumbar spine the chances of a hernia is greater. if the pain comes and goes it is more like a hernia. In theory your hernia pain should ease on lying and increase in standing and straining, but not always. Modern hernia operations do really well, only in hospital for a few hours.
James[/QUOTE]

Thanks James, your information is quite helpful

Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

To gigi11 and p0506img . . . What you are both describing could also be an SI joint problem. Women especially are susceptible to these due to the changes our bodies go through for childbirth. I have a slight SI joint problem myself, but my main problem was facet joint issues. An SI joint problem will affect the groin area, hip/s and lower back. An x-ray is often all that is needed, along with certain physical tests. Talk to your doctors about a possible SI joint problem.

Having had an inguinal hernia, I have never had that cause back pain, strictly groin pain.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Another thing to look into is a "groin disruption injury." The main symptoms are as follows:

"... chronic groin and/or lower abdominal pain that is poorly localised and associated with both pelvic impact loading and lower limb twisting & swing loading activities such as running, pivoting and kicking. The pain is of gradual onset, at first occurs only after exercise with associated stiffness but eventually develops as soon as exercise begins, is felt broadly across the lower abdominal wall and groin with a midline component generally included, is initially unilateral but may later become bilateral, and may also radiate into the medial thigh or perineum (Fig 1). There is often stiffness on getting out of bed the morning after sport. The symptoms may be aggravated by running, kicking, pivoting, pushing off, coughing, sneezing or sit-ups. Rarely, the patient may report ‘clicking’ on getting up from a chair, turning over in bed, or walking on uneven ground. There may be associated pain at one or both sacroiliac joints." (from Sports Medicine Imaging)

You'll notice this description is written for athletes who suffer with these pains, but it also applies to women, particularly those who have been through childbirth.

I wonder if this might be at least part of what is causing your pain. I'd never heard it called this before....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
(female)

GraciePearl HB User

Hello from a anewbie here! I came to this board for answers to my own problem, which is much as yours.

I just read this AM of a condition called "cutaneous ilioinguinal nerve entrapment syndrome".

It sounds like me, exactly! And now after two years of pain, I just may have found the solution that the doctors couldn`t find.

Look into it - it may be the answer to your own prayers!

Closed Thread