It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

burbmama HB User
Are we done yet?

Been a while...

I am 8 months post op and two months ago, after feeling great...I am back where I started but worse. I am currently walking with a cane again. I spent many phone calls with my surgeon..who is AWESOME! and we decided to do a CT scan to make sure that I had begun to fuse. Results: fused beautifully! HMMMMM, wheres the pain coming from? Next step was an MRI, prior too, I met with my surgeon and basically had no reflexes in my left leg. The pain is in my hips, lower back, left buttocks and down the back of my thigh, back of my knee and my outer calf and foot..

WELCOME BACK SCIATICA..you PIMA! MRI showed nothing and left us scratching heads. I was refereed to a pain management doctor who did a bilateral injection (had some pain starting in right thigh and groin area) the doctor had warned me that he could hit the nerve and HE DID! THAT HURT. I have progressively gotten worse and a few weeks ago, I drove myself to the ER after work since I couldnt take the pain any more. I have been on dilaudid as needed since the pain started and nueroton 900 mg a day. The ER doc was the same doc that had refereed me to the emergency discectomy last year and he himself had had 3 back surgeries so he understood my pain.

He added 5mg valume to my med list and the combo of the meds takes the edge off. Since then I have met with my surgeon and been upgraded to 10mg valume and 2400 mg neurton a day. He suggested another injection and that brought me to tears..no more wait and see. I have two months till my 30th birthday and I dont want to be disabled by then. After talking and tears, a decision was made and on the 24th, i am have a laminectomy to try to free up room for the nerve and the nerve seems to be the pain source. I will be off work for 6 weeks to allow plenty of time to heal as I am so done with this and it has had some major effects on my quality of life.

Has anyone else had success from this surgery, any advice for recovery, anything that is good to know? We are spending the week preparing the house..no bending, no twisting and no lifting. Will this be the end?

[B]This is where it started: Post from Feb 2011[/B]

On the 21st, I am going in for an Annular L5S1 Fuse with Discectomy Pre-Op to correct siatica and a herniated disc that has been causing pain, numbness and tingling of both legs, buttocks, hips and back. Last year I have a discectomy and it was successful but I guess I didn't baby it enough and it is back. I have done 4 injections, much PT and anything else that the doctors recommended. Some of this is by choice. I could do another discectomy but there would be a high chance of a fuse down the line. I am 29 and a single mother of three who is very active and needs to just have this all over. I am well prepared for the recovery time and will follow doctors orders to the T.

I have pre-op appointments tomorrow but I wanted to see how other prepared for comming home. I have a two story townhouse and my bedroom is up two flights of stairs. My kids have been wonderful at making sure all the laundry is caught up and the house stays picked up. They will be at grandmas alot for the first few weeks so that she can take them and pick them up from school. What items were helpful when you came home? Any other tips? I have some neighbors that will be helping also..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Are we done yet?

[COLOR="Navy"]Burbmomma-

Sotty that your surgery didn't turn out like you wanted. Its one of the things that you have to be aware of-that it might not work.

You asked if anyone ever had successful sugery. Sure they do...they are out living their life like they had wanted to. Which is the ultimate goal going into any surgery. I am one of those that the surgery did what was expected...but my back refused to play. My surgeon finally at 2 years post op told me that i would like in some degree of pain for the rest of my life. I too, "was done with it." However, that is not my choice in this life.

You have been through this once, so you know what to expect after the surgery. I will say that you might want to have your bed whereever the "life" of your house is. After my surgery, I was told that I could go up and down the steps once a day. Luckily We had a bed on the floor that was the busiiest. Make sure you have plenty to read or handwork to do.

We can wish that this is the end, but there is no way to guarantee it. And once you have done things to your back, the next section up and down from that will be weakened from the extra stress put on it. You can get good tips from the stickies at the top of the page on what to prepare for. Keep your spirits up and your chin!....and keep on praying..[/COLOR]

Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Are we done yet?

There are a number of things that could be causing your pain. It may be that you are not fully fused and there is some movement that is causing nerve pain. You may have scar tissue that is pressing on the nerve. The final possibility that I can think of at the moment is that the pain may be coming from another segment (L3-L4 or L4-L5). It is possible to have any of these things without them showing on a MRI.

I imagine your doctor will also clean out the foramen while he's doing the laminectomy. I'm a little surprised some of the lamina was not removed when you had the fusion...how did he do the surgery? (from the back, stomach or side?)

Oh, by the way, I have had a successful fusion, but it took three times to finally find what was causing my pain...I had things that were not indicated on the MRI and was originally told I would just have to learn to cope with the pain....

Last edited by teteri66; 10-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Closed Thread