It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Pain in where torso and leg meet

I was wondering why I have pain in both leg.joints where my leg meets the groin area. I had sciatica pt treatment last summer and the pt said this could be sciatica also. It seems weird to have any back problems be located in the leg groin joint. Any one else have.this?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pain in where torso and leg meet

It is not the first place one thinks of to associate with back problems, but it is not uncommon.

The spinal nerves branch out from the central spinal canal to all parts of the body. The cervical nerves primarily cover the upper body and the lumbar nerves primarily cover from the waist down (to put this in VERY simplistic terms!!) When there is any lower lumbar nerve irritation it can have an effect on the nerves controlling the bladder and bowel, genitals, pelvic and groin area, hip, across the buttocks, down the legs, ankles, feet and toes. If you are curious how the nerve patterns innervate which area, take a look at a dermatome map that you will find online.

SI joint dysfunction can cause pain in the whole "pelvic girdle." The sacrum is connected to the left and right iliac bones by the SI joints. These bones make up the pelvis. There are ligaments that hold this construction together. There can be inflammation in the joints which can result in pain, most often in the lower back and hip area, but it is also common in the groin and thighs. In addition to pain, it can cause stiffness and a burning sensation in the pelvis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If you've had sciatic joint pain in the past, in all likelihood you've flared it again. I can tell you from experience, it doesn't take much...and it can take a LONG time to go away again. Once you get rid of the pain again, try to make any increases in activity very, very slowly, and gradually. Use ice or a cold gel pack for pain, 15-20 minutes at a time, round the clock if necessary, being careful not to freeze the skin, of course!

There are only ligaments that hold the SI joints in position, but there are exercises you can do to strengthen that whole area, but again, work very slowly and take on any new exercise or increase very, very gradually. Otherwise, the nerve will flare, and you'll be starting all over again.

Good luck. Hope you'll feel better soon.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thank you so much.for your response! I really appreciate it I will look it up. its got to be something like that.

Closed Thread