It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
(male)

LaborJack HB User
28 year laborer humbly seeks info about protruding vertebrate

Lately I am experiencing pain I cannot ignore in my neck, and pretty much my whole spine. The worst of all the pain, is in my mid-lower back, I have two vertebrates protruding farther out than all the rest of them. When I touch them with my hand, and press on them, the pain is immediate, burning and intense. I tried laying on a flat floor surface, in the hopes of possibly pressing them back in, and it only made it worse. The two protruding vertebrates, are bout 4 vertebrates apart from one another. When I stand and stoop over while standing, there is a horrible shooting pain like a tazer. What could this possibly be? Am I in danger of becoming permanently injured? What can a poor man like me do to help himself? I'm afraid to be quite honest. I certainly do not want to injure my spinal cord. I have worked very hard my whole life. I have lifted huge blocks of wood by bending over and lugging them around, without proper form. That was my very last job as a matter of fact. I'm afraid that that last job of tree-cutting has taken a toll on my back. I've had back pain for years, but never like this.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 28 year laborer humbly seeks info about protruding vertebrate

Welcome to the board. Unfortunately many people are required to use their backs in ways that are harmful to their over-all health and well-being, as part of their employment.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. Usually when someone feels a pain that feels like an electric zap, it is caused by a spinal nerve that is being irritated or pinched. One possible cause of this would be from a disc that has bulged or herniated. But this would not explain the protrusions....that part of your description has me stymied.

The bony part of the spine that we can feel just underneath the skin is called the "spinous process" and is the back part of the vertebra. It provides the point of attachment for muscles and ligaments of the spine. I suppose it is possible that if you have stressed a muscle or ligament, it would feel sore at this point of attachment.

I would suggest you try using ice or a cold gel pack on the affected area...the specific point where you are feeling pain. Ice for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times each day, being careful to protect the skin. You don't want to end up with a frozen patch of skin on the surface! If tolerated, take Advil or Aleve or similar NSAID in case there is any swelling.

Any sort of back problem seems to take ages to heal and finally go away...so give these treatments some time to work. If you are no better after about 10 days a trip to the doctor may be in order.

Hope others have some ideas for you, too. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread