It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

rcwillia HB User
tingling where screws are?

I had anterior posterior l5 s1 spinal fusion surgery done 6 days ago. I'm getting around well but have noticed some tingling under my bandages on my back where they put the screws in. Its like a hot tingly itch and underneath these massive waterproof bandages it appears humped up...but maybe that's the steri strips and extra cloth they put on before the top bandage?

I am on strict orders NOT to remove my bandages until my follow up appt next week or I'd peek and make sure it looked okay. My doctor said I could only remove them if I saw puss and gooey stuff in the middle of the bandage, which I don't.

I'm scared something is going wrong with the fusion...or is this a normal part of the healing process?

Other than this I am feeling great with no pain. I can get around on my own and I am walking a ton. Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: tingling where screws are?

Take your temperature to see if you are running a fever, even a low-grade one. Then call your doctor's office. One thing you absolutely don't want to mess around with is an infection...so do not feel silly calling.

It is not unheard of to develop a small hematoma post op. It is usually just fluid that has pocketed, and it goes away on its own. I doubt you are feeling the tingling around the screws as they are not near the surface, but probably it is around the incision. You will have sensation around the incision area as it heals.

I'm always telling people to walk, but don't be too enthusiastic about it. Be sure you are resting a good deal of the time. Doing more will NOT make you heal faster. Giving your body sufficient rest is an equally important part of the equation.

Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread