It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

badneckdude HB User
Cervical Spine Surgery

What lifestyle changes should I consider after my ACDF of C 5-6 and 6-7? I am currently a firefighter/paramedic and have been told by 1 doc to consider a career change because my work will put to much stress on the other vertebrae above and below my fusion. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Cervical Spine Surgery

Welcome to the board.

If you scroll further down the page that lists Health Issues, you will see there is a separate listing for "Spinal Cord Disorders." Most of the people with cervical issues hang out there. You will get many more replies if you post again at that part of the board. We are mostly lumbar spineys on this board.

It is true that a fusion places more stress on the adjacent spinal segments. When you have an area that is immobile, the first segment after this area takes the brunt of the motion. This causes more wear and tear on that segment and, as a result, it tends to deteriorate more quickly.

If you continue doing work that is very physical, I would imagine it could speed up the deterioration process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Thanks, Teri....yes, please join us on the spinal Cord Disorders board. We actually have some new news on the deterioration of vertebrae above and below a fusion...it may not be that much of a problem after all. Ask a poster named Webdozer....he did the research on it. Great guy.

See you there.................Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 12-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'll check it out, too! Sounds interesting...and promising.

Closed Thread