It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User
Pre testing

I am scheduled for surgery 12/14, laminectomy for sciatica, and am afraid of all things, the pre testing.

I had a very bad experience with a gynecologist 15 years ago, and do not go for exams, or mammograms. I am currently under psychiatric treatment for that (really for fear of all physicians after that one experience). Will the lack of that testing prevent me getting surgery?

Also, I have never had high blood sugar, however my last bloodwork, done by my psychiatrist in April showed blood sugar at high normal. Still normal, but almost not. I know pain and stress can raise blood sugar, and I've sure had that. What if my blood sugar is a little high? Will that mean I cannot have surgery. I don't expect it will be super high, as I have no symptoms. If it is high, will they delay surgery until it can get under control with meds?

Thank you for any insight at all.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pre testing

I don't believe they will give you general anesthetic without going through the pre-surgery physical. I'm not sure where the regulations originate, but a hospital would not take on the legal risk of performing surgery on a patient without being sure the patient is healthy enough to withstand the general anesthetic and the planned procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

I know I will need a pre surgery physical, and have appt set up with the hospital and GP for that. My basic concern is about the lack of prior mammograms, and the possibility of my blood sugar being elevated.

I assume a gyno exam would not be part of the pre testing physical. Did you have to have one before your surgery?

Can anyone address if the blood sugar is a little high what they will do?

Thank you.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I suppose it differs somewhat from one region of the country to another...but I'm quite sure they won't know (or care) if you've had mammograms or not....They do a chest x-ray if you haven't had one in awhile, they run an EKG and drew blood, but I don't know specifically what tests they did on the blood. I guess they tested a urine sample, too, but I don't remember that detail.

I really don't know if they care about high blood sugar unless you are diabetic. Then they would need to know that so they would know how to manage you while you're in hospital.

Last edited by teteri66; 12-01-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

Thank you. That helps.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I am a Type 2 diabetic who has had spine surgery and they will test your blood sugar when you go for a pre-op screening. Sometimes the hospital will do the screening and sometimes they have your own doc do it so you can let either know you are concerned about your sugar levels.

Either way, if you are concerned about it, ask them to test you daily and they can do the finger stick test to measure your sugar and treat you if necessary. Just so you know, most people in early type 2 diabetes are treated with pills and not insulin shots but they may use insulin if your sugar goes over 180.

Usually, they just leave it alone and refer you back to your regular doc for monitoring. The stress of surgery makes your body produce more cortisol to control inflammation and that in turn makes you produce higher sugar levels so don't be concerned if it does go up after surgery. It should. Your body needs the fuel to heal.

Jenny

Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

Thank you so much, Jenny. I was worried I was going to get delayed for surgery if it was slightly high, but it doesn't sound like it?

Closed Thread